Is there a "hardest cert/most stringent certifier?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This. Actually this is precisely the thing that a scientist is getting asked. Whom have we worked with, and on what topics.

Regarding the original question: we are in the clear on everyone now offering their favourite (tech)-agency because the require much. I do have a completely different question: from whom can I learn the things I am interested in?

Why would you consider Scuba Diving a Nitch field? Scuba diving is not at all a nitch subject, technical diving is, but OW diving within NDL limits is not.

Why would you consider Scuba Diving a Nitch field? Scuba diving is not at all a nitch subject, technical diving is, but OW diving within NDL limits is not.

Well, compared to soccer, scuba diving is tiny. The "niche" thing however was with regards to postgraduate science. I do not even think it is relevant if niche or not. I simply think "where is it hardest" is a useless question to ask if you are looking to learn interesting things. But opinions may differ here :wink:

LA COUNTY

Established in 1954 as a regional diving training organization for SoCal.
From LA County sprung NAUI in 1960 and PADI in 1969...and was copied but never equaled .by the world's training organizations. Many, no most of the organizations can trace their genealogy to LA County

Course consists of the following:
November Pre test
swimming & watermanship
diving knowledge
Personal review and suggestions

January course begins
3 months of very intensive training
Saturday & Sundays

Tuesdays Dive team member meeting
Wednesday Academic or watermanship
evaluations and or practice

Concurrently
Surveys
beach diving area
diving boat

Prepare research dissertation
presented
defended
published (generally 20 plus pages)

Graduation in March

Many apply
only the best are accepted
a select few graduate

They are true divers ...not just people who dive
They are true dive instructors ...not just instructors

SDM
LA Co UW instructor #11 UICC
NAUI instructor #27
PADI 241 ( or 2241 ?)
( and a heck of a lot more instructor organizations )
Pro 5000
California SCUBA Service Award 2013

LA county awards and honors;

Outstanding contributions to Underwater Instruction --1964
( I developed a number of the procedures now in use by many of you today as well as the instructor & diver classification system which was rejected by LA Co and NAUI but much later accepted by PADI )

Outstanding Los Angeles Underwater instructor of the year 1969
(same year PADI came to life)

Dive master (an LA Co term) 1970 to 1973
a UICC team leader
trains UICC candidates
( 3 months of very involvement)

(For more information about my background suggest google my name plus SCUBA or Diver etc)
sdm
Thank you Sam . Steven Samler LA County ADP Graduate #2114 9/14/13.

upload_2020-4-25_4-55-23.png
]

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-25_5-41-46.png
    upload_2020-4-25_5-41-46.png
    589.5 KB · Views: 45
LA County Underwater Instruction Certification Course (UICC) was the first - 1954 (66 years old)
It created
* organized diving instruction
* the term "Certified diver"
* first log book -1963 -(see previous post ) copied by NAUI & PADI
* fountainhead of all programs
````NAUI 1960
```,,PADI 1969
``` And the rest that followed....
90 % of all current diving related instruction began will LA County

UICC- 3 months long very intensive 100 plus hours
many apply few are accepted only the very best graduate
and certified as
~~~~ LA CO Underwater Instructors ~~~

ADP established 1967 3 months100 plus hours of summer Thursday night lectures by experts followed by week end dives at local SoCal beaches and lakes

66 year old LA County Underwater Instructor Association
creates'
Divers who are DIVERS - not people who just dive'\
Instructors who are INSTRUCTORS not people who just instruct diving

sdm 111

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-25_5-53-52.png
    upload_2020-4-25_5-53-52.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 56
  • upload_2020-4-25_5-59-10.png
    upload_2020-4-25_5-59-10.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 39
I am sure there are some old NASDS folks here...
Early 70's NASDS with San Diego Divers Supply. Courses taught by current & former UDT/SEALS and other instructors. Basic OW course included harassment dives (turning off gas, ripping mask off, simulated OOA diver grabbing your reg (no secondary regs back them), on the surface mouth-to-mouth resuscitation drills, dropping weight belt-emergency ascent drills (no BCD-Mae West vest with a CO2 cartridge at best), no such thing as safety stops, mandatory dive table comprehension to pass, rough surf shore entry and exits (taught us to crawl in/out), and other stuff that would shock PADI and other agencies today. I am not saying it was a good idea...just mentioning to show how dive training has changed throughout the decades.

What exactly do you wish to do? Why would you learn something just for the sake of it and look for the hardest way to do it. Is it spearfishing, underwater photography or maybe wreck exploration, diving is just a means to an end.

I am sure there are some old NASDS folks here...
Early 70's NASDS with San Diego Divers Supply. Courses taught by current & former UDT/SEALS and other instructors. Basic OW course included harassment dives (turning off gas, ripping mask off, simulated OOA diver grabbing your reg (no secondary regs back them), on the surface mouth-to-mouth resuscitation drills, dropping weight belt-emergency ascent drills (no BCD-Mae West vest with a CO2 cartridge at best), no such thing as safety stops, mandatory dive table comprehension to pass, rough surf shore entry and exits (taught us to crawl in/out), and other stuff that would shock PADI and other agencies today. I am not saying it was a good idea...just mentioning to show how dive training has changed throughout the decades.
That carry on was a load of shite, if someone ripped my mask off I’d brake their nose when I got them on shore.

TL;DR: Is there any difference between any of the certification agencies anymore, or does it all boil down to the instructor? If there is a best (or better) cert, what is it? I am not looking for the cheapest/easiest or the chest-thumping'est route. I'm looking for the agency this is most likely to ensure that my training will prevent me from being a statistic in some government report..

Best training you can get would be commercial diver training. It’s not cheap and will take a long time. You will come out knowing more than any scuba instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom