Simply Scuba in Administration (chapter 11)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Graeme Fraser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I really, really hope this is wrong, but it's being reported that Simply Scuba in the UK have gone into adminstration, which is the equivalent of Chapter 11 in the US.

COVID-19 Pandemic Sees Simply Scuba Go Into Administration | Scuba Diver Mag

For those who haven't heard of them, they are probably the biggest player in the UK dive retail scene and have a major online presence, both here and internationally.

I couldn't testify to their financial situation prior to the pandemic, but they always seemed like a solid business. I've bought quite a few things from them and always felt they were very professional and competitive.

Hopefully they'll be bought as a going concern, but in the current climate, who knows.

If they're in trouble it doesn't bode well for the industry as a whole.

Sad, sad days :(

Hey Graeme, sorry to hear it. I think we all know that the margins in the scuba industry are quite thin. Given that, I don't think it takes much to push a business over the edge. And I'm sure the global downturn is hitting dive businesses especially hard. My own favorite dive shop recently went under and I'm broken hearted about it. I feel your pain. Sad days for all of us. :(

The virus is hitting lots of companies hard. I love their videos and hope they can emerge in a better financial position

I really, really hope this is wrong, but it's being reported that Simply Scuba in the UK have gone into adminstration, which is the equivalent of Chapter 11 in the US.

COVID-19 Pandemic Sees Simply Scuba Go Into Administration | Scuba Diver Mag

For those who haven't heard of them, they are probably the biggest player in the UK dive retail scene and have a major online presence, both here and internationally.

I couldn't testify to their financial situation prior to the pandemic, but they always seemed like a solid business. I've bought quite a few things from them and always felt they were very professional and competitive.

Hopefully they'll be bought as a going concern, but in the current climate, who knows.

If they're in trouble it doesn't bode well for the industry as a whole.

Sad, sad days :(
I was in shock when I read the news.

Apparently they are trying to sell the company rather than liquidating it.

Maybe it be either merged to another competitor or bought by someone ?

I was in shock when I read the news.

Apparently they are trying to sell the company rather than liquidating it.

Maybe it be either merged to another competitor or bought by someone ?
Indeed, they were probably the last scuba related company I'd expect to see fail. Any other time, I'd say it'd be a prime acquisition, but in the current maelstrom, who can say.

I really hope they can keep it going. Some talented folks there that would be a real asset to a new investor.

Fingers crossed!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom