Do currents cause accidents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, I read what you wrote, which is why I qualified it with "though". I still have my doubts about its effectiveness. I'll grant that it's loud and convenient to use, but the Dive Alert itself hasn't been reliable for me: fills with water and it's near impossible to shake it out, and it eventually leaks air.
Yep, you have a bad one. Therefore, they are all bad. SMH.

Currents don't cause accidents.

Dives do. Either they are diving above their skill set, or something happens they aren't able to resolve.

I'm going to buck the trend here, and say that currents don't typically "cause" accidents. Currents do however, create more challenging conditions that can make solving other problems more difficult to resolve.

Dives do. Either they are diving above their skill set, or something happens they aren't able to resolve.
I'm with these folks. The underlying cause of the accident is diving. The intermediate cause is more challenging conditions. The proximate cause is inability to deal with the conditions.
That proximate cause can be mitigated with training. The intermediate cause can be mitigated with experience and judgement, noting that good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from lack of good judgement. The underlying cause is, well, something I don't want to consider.

I always thought it was getting out of bed. Stay in bed, stay safe!

no marine life
Which is why I - personally, YMMV and all those other caveats included - prefer salt water diving.

if you don't know how to deploy it underwater or aren't so great at it
...then practice, practice and practice. It costs you a little bit of stress at the safety stop, but, hey, what else is there to do during the safety stop (or, worst case, the tail end of the 3m deco stop)? It isn't mandatory, so if you mess up, you'll most probably be good anyway.

Being able to shoot a sausage from depth is an invaluable tool if you're an autonomous diver (which you should be if you've passed your OW exam).

I'm going to buck the trend here, and say that currents don't typically "cause" accidents. Currents do however, create more challenging conditions that can make solving other problems more difficult to resolve.

I'm with these folks. The underlying cause of the accident is diving. The intermediate cause is more challenging conditions. The proximate cause is inability to deal with the conditions.
That proximate cause can be mitigated with training. The intermediate cause can be mitigated with experience and judgement, noting that good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from lack of good judgement. The underlying cause is, well, something I don't want to consider.

I think you guys are splitting hairs and farting semantics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom