Found camera Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

faerique or fabrique
Fabriqué au Canada? (Made in Canada)
Tanks are perhaps made in Canada?
I find it rather unusual for a tank manufacturer to put such a sticker on tanks.

I find it rather unusual for a tank manufacturer to put such a sticker on tanks.
Have to agree with that. Manufacturers stamp tanks, they don't use stickers that'll have to be removed at VIP time.

Hopefully this camera gets back to its owner. Someone would probably be super jazzed to recover that many vacation photos that they thought were long gone.

And the loss probably happened long ago so we know he's given up. It'd be a nice surprise.

Have you checked the info in the EXIF. It may have an owners or copyright holder name or even an email address. If nothing else it should have the date. Also depending on value it may have had the warranty registered with the manufacturer & no we don't all speak French outside of Quebec. The further west you go the less popular it becomes BUT there are French communities in every province. French is an official language across the country so federal government offices need some French speaking employees no matter which province the office is located in. No idea how important having a French speaking employee becomes at Provincial gov't offices.

Yeah, and how does a Canadian Maple Leaf get on a tank in the Caribbean? I don't think a Canuk tourist would put one on a rental tank. A dive shop owned by Canadian ex-pats might altho that seems doubtful as there may be some who don't like Canada. That is really odd.

Definitely not a sticker applied by a manufacturer (very sloppily applied, having been put on the rounded top), and probably not a tourist either, though not implausible. My first thought was that it was applied by a Canadian dive op owner,I wouldn't call that curious, at all. I knew a ton of Canadian expats when i lived and worked down there (Cancun, Playa, Cozumel, etc), and I can't recall a single one that wasn't vocally (almost overly) proud of his home country (now, Americans on the other hand.........but I digress :D).
Also, I'm not seeing much to indicate the pics were necessarilly taken in Mexico, these could've been taken in the Fl keys, or the Bahamas, or any number of places. Also, from the current patterns I took a look at, it seemed like a bit of longshot that a camera would float from the Yucatan, to a Texas beach.
One thing occurred to me: the camera could have been lost very close to where it was found, with the pics taken somewhere else. Couldn't hurt to post something locally in Craigslist's lost-and-found.
Was there any growth accumulation on the camera? If it spent months in the water, there should be stuff attached and growing on the exterior. Any moisture make it through the camera's seals? If not, that's another reason to consider that it may not have made such a long journey.

It would be fun, if the owner is found. If anywhere, this is the place where it can happen.

Have you checked the info in the EXIF.
Only the original poster on FB could do that. I'll ask.

Also, from the current patterns I took a look at, it seemed like a longshot that a camera would float from the yucatan, to a Texas beach.
The North Atlantic Gyre that turns north at Central America and flows on both sides of Cozumel heads north where it split - most headed east towards the Florida Straits, but some headed east along the Texas coast and back around the Gulf of Mexico. It's possible.

Was there any growth accumulation on the camera? If it spent months in the water, there should be stuff attached and growing on the exterior. Any moisture make it through the camera's seals?
He said he removed barnacles and such, but the seal was good and the camera fine.

gyre.jpg

If you look closely at his picture- you will see his wetsuit has ROH rental on it. I searched for ROH scuba and got Royal Hideaway Playacar. Their website has Scuba available. I have sent them a Facebook Messenger message and have sent them a link to this posting. Maybe this is their resort gear and underwater pictures. And maybe they know who these people are. Let hope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom