Is Ocean Edge Outfitters Closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here you go @stuartv

a lung machine for future reference

full.jpg

I placed a couple of orders with Ocean Outfitters earlier last year, they left things out, added stuff in
but then that's not servicing
Quite unstable I thought.

full.jpg

Go for it, there's no patent

@happy-diver Well, that is certainly an interesting looking machine.

However, I'm in good shape now. I was reminded that Richard Morton, at Dive-Tronix (the Shearwater USA service center), is also a factory-authorized service tech. Richard is awesome. I contacted him about doing the work I need. He said he could turn it around in a week, unless it needs new counter lungs, in which case it would probably take about 3 weeks because he would have to order those from Belgium and that typically takes a few weeks. He said CLs are replaced so infrequently that they are not stocked anywhere in the U.S..

But, he also said that, even though it is the 10-year service, it is unlikely that mine need to be replaced. And if they don't, he won't. I'm expecting my bill to be substantially less than the quote I got from OEO. And, obviously, I'll have it back a LOT sooner than I would have from OEO.

I shipped it off to him last week and he should be receiving my unit tomorrow.

Using him would be very convenient for a lot of people, I think. Since he is also the Shearwater guy, having a rEvo serviced by him means you can have your Shearwater bits serviced at the same time. He did my Predators last year, so I don't need that this time.

@happy-diver I was reminded that Richard Morton, at Dive-Tronix (the Shearwater USA service center), is also a factory-authorized service tech. Richard is awesome. I contacted him about doing the work I need. He said he could turn it around in a week, unless it needs new counter lungs, in which case it would probably take about 3 weeks because he would have to order those from Belgium and that typically takes a few weeks. He said CLs are replaced so infrequently that they are not stocked anywhere in the U.S..

Interesting, never heard of this. It is not listed on the rEvo website (but there are so many other things missing that this does not mean much).

I got the call from Dive-Tronix today with the word on my rEvo. Basically, he was done with the service it needed (11 years from manufacture). I had previously replaced almost all the LP hoses, the HP hoses, and the OPV, so he didn't need to do any of that. He said he looked at the CLs and sent pictures of them to the factory and they all agreed that they didn't need to be replaced. So, my whole bill for the service? $200. Frickin' AMAZING.

I got the call from Dive-Tronix today with the word on my rEvo. Basically, he was done with the service it needed (11 years from manufacture). I had previously replaced almost all the LP hoses, the HP hoses, and the OPV, so he didn't need to do any of that. He said he looked at the CLs and sent pictures of them to the factory and they all agreed that they didn't need to be replaced. So, my whole bill for the service? $200. Frickin' AMAZING.
All that and your anal ring remains virginal as opposed to if you set it to ocean edge

My rEvo and my repaired Teric have just started their journey back to me. Richard received them both on Wednesday and they were both finished last night and shipped out today. What service! 2 day turnaround!

The Teric was a warranty item, so no charge.

The bill on the rEvo was more than the $200 I posted yesterday. I ended up asking Richard to do a couple of things that were not required. He installed the rEvo kit for older units that removes the Clippard buttons on the bottom of the unit. Those are buttons on the bottom of the rEvo body/case that were originally manual add buttons for O2 and dil, I believe. Mine were bypassed when I bought the unit. Since the rest of the service was so cheap, I asked Richard to go ahead and install the official kit. He said the way it was done was very clever, using good quality pieces. He didn't feel like they needed to be messed with. But, making the insides be like the factory would have done it appealed to my OCD.

And I had him replace the two LP hoses that go from each of the 1st stage regs into the inside of the case. Those were the only 2 hoses I had not already replaced.

So, the total bill was $485 (plus the shipping to get it back to me)!

Richard and his wife (who handles the billing and a lot of the phone calls) are just awesome! Richard is factory-authorized by rEvo HQ and he also can work on other units. I know he is quite expert on the Tiburon. I would give him the highest recommendation to anyone who needs Shearwater service or work on a rEvo. I'm not SURE if he is an official factory source for Tiburon service, but I suspect he is. And I'm not sure what other units he might accept for work.

Also, business is slow for him right now, like it is for many people. So, if you have something that needs some of his attention, now would be a great time to get it to him.

I asked rEvo the following:

Is Richard Morton, at Dive-Tronix (the Shearwater USA service center), a rEvo factory-authorized service technician?

I got this answer:

Yes, Richard is authorized rEvo service center
Let me know if you need extra info or help
Stay safe!
Pieter Decoene

This is simply awesome news for the rEvo community. Richard is a stellar person and his service work is impeccable. His morals and ethics when it comes to repairs and parts replacement are second to none. Nobody should be concerned with factory work being a rip off or sub standard any longer, unless they still prefer to deal with that "other place".

I was talking with Richard about a year ago and he was telling me that they were getting set up as an authorized service center. I knew it was in the works, just didn't know when it was official. This was arranged through Pieter, not Mares as well. There are a lot of people who are good friends with a lot of other good people in this circle. Wish I remembered this as I just ordered a few parts through Ocean Edge.

Back
Top Bottom