Air break on rebreather, how to proceed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

even on CCR, my lungs and sinuses do not feel good when at the higher ppO2's for very long and I start coughing if I don't take them. It's worse with the dry gas on OC, but it still happens on CCR. Same reason air breaks are standard for chambers
Yeah, but I was only doing air breaks on a 20-5 schedule at 2.8Bar O2, during the slow ascent from 18M no air breaks were done. And yes, my breathing was uncomfortable for a few days after my chamber treatments.

Michael

Valid reason. What PPO2 are you running? If you're doing the standard "Do not exceed 1.3 PPO2" that the training manuals say, you shouldn't have a problem. Although, individual physiology can very quite a bit. If you're running your PPO2 to 1.5 or 1.6 during deco, then yes, I could see the need for an Air Break, but I would stay on CCR, and just lower my setpoint.

I run 1.1 at the bottom. On short deco's I'll flush up to 1.6, then let it coast back down to about 1.2, lather rinse repeat. Once deco gets longer than about an hour, I will go to air breaks. Honestly though, half the reason for it is to cool my lungs off because the scrubbers get too hot

half the reason for it is to cool my lungs off because the scrubbers get too hot
Damned thermal efficiencies! :D :D :D Here, I thought I was the only one!

on my p1 I just shut off the eccr mode ...and run it on manual, in long deco . that's why I like the cels on my p1 they don't need any external power to run the unit ,(not the solenoid any way )

This could end up being an interesting discussion. I've been told 2 separate things by multiple people. Some are in the air breaks are a necessity for longer deco on CC (as opposed to anything longer than 20 minutes on OC requires them) and some are in the no air breaks needed at all, just breathe your p02 down throughout deco and then 02 flush again.
I personally just let my p02 degrade and then bump it back up. At the start of deco I bump my p02 up a little more frequently since I'm off gassing alot more, and then let it degrade a little longer deeper into the deco. I haven't as of yet taken an actual air break on deco, but I also haven't done a deco stop longer than 45 minutes as of now. I haven't felt like I would need an air break either
I think my wife would personally benefit from a more regular air brake though. She often complains of a burning chest even after 15-20 minutes of deco and she also takes a long term med that is safe to dive with but per DAN is known to increase the likelihood of oxygen toxicity. I assume that also translates to lung pain from high p02 exposure.

I do an air break every 15 minutes on OC or my chest burns like fire. I've done 8 hours of straight deco on CCR at a pretty elevated ppO2 without any issue at all.

Chests on fire? Is it a Chemical irritation feeling or actual heat from high O2 amount of breathing.

I’m not deco certified and never stayed in a Holiday Express.

Chests on fire? Is it a Chemical irritation feeling or actual heat from high O2 amount of breathing.

Hard to explain. Kinda like heartburn but in your lungs.

for me it's like if you went straight into a sauna after you were really out of breath. Similar kind of burning in your lungs for that. It's distinctly unpleasant

Back
Top Bottom