New DPV - Dive Xtras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several people are using the 12 ah batteries. I personally use the Waitley 9.0 ah batteries.

The launch scooters you could get neutral but not trim out level. Something was just "unofficially" announced about the trim issue on the owners group facebook page.

Yeah. I have the 12Ah batteries. And yeah, they are stupid expensive. I told myself buy once, cry once, and bent over....

On the FB page, info was posted today that Dive-X are adding 2 options for the BlackTip.

The official info is supposed to be on their website at the end of next week.

They will have a new Tec tube that is a little longer than the current tube. I will still only hold 2 batteries, but will let you achieve flat trim.

The Tec tube (with a vinyl wrap):

They will have an Expedition extension for the existing tube (the Travel tube). EDIT: This is wrong. A later post from @mcguiver explains that it's not an extension to the Travel tube. It's just a 2 piece tube that has nothing to do with the Travel tube. The Expedition tube will give you 2 more battery sockets, for a total of 4, and will let the scooter achieve flat trim. But, it will be a lot longer than the current scooter is. The Expedition tube is, I gather, somewhere around twice as long as the current (Travel) tube. So, figure in Expedition configuration the overall scooter length will be about 1 foot longer than it is now.

Also, just FYI, the Dive-X spec for the 12 Ah batteries is 123 minutes of run time at "cruising speed" (speed 3 - approx 150 feet per min). That was before the new firmware that was released a week or two ago.

The new firmware improves motor efficiency. I ran mine almost 2 hours last weekend. Well, let's be conservative and say 100 minutes. I went speeds from 3 to 5 during that whole 100 minutes. At the end, I still had 3 bars (of 4) showing on my battery meter. My buddy had the same batteries, did the dives with me, and also had 3 bars left.

One of the guys on Facebook posted today that he got 3 hours out of his pair of DeWalt 9Ah batteries, going "all speeds", and still had battery left. Very unscientific. But, that combined with my own 3 days of diving mine make me feel like the battery run time is a lot better than the spec says. Especially since the firmware update improved motor efficiency.

If I were buying a new one today, I'm not sure if I would get the Tec tube, or the Travel tube and Expedition tubes. 123 minutes is not enough for some things I want to do. But, if the 12Ah batteries really last more than 3 hours, then the Tec tube might actually be all I need.

On the other hand, the Travel tube is really nice, small, and light. For dives where I don't need extra batteries, do I really need flat trim (when stopped)?

I am looking forward to doing a burn test on mine when I can. And also to learning what pricing will be for these new tubes. I think need to know both things before I can make a good decision on which new option I need to buy. If they're cheap enough, I'll buy both.

That blue Scooter is definitely pimped out. He even has blue trigger and blade hub. I take it he is in tight with Dive Xtras. I will be using this at our local Quarry so I don't mind the extra size. I'm training with double 120's so this will make getting around a whole lot easier. I might grab the tec tube scooter once it comes out.

Now another toy to accessorize :yeahbaby:.

COOL!
Since I am saving for Bikini this is on hold. Which looks like this is bonus since the updates should be available by the time I am ready to spend money. Looking forward to the options being available.

They will have an Expedition extension for the existing tube (the Travel tube). The Expedition tube will give you 2 more battery sockets, for a total of 4, and will let the scooter achieve flat trim. But, it will be a lot longer than the current scooter is. The Expedition tube is, I gather, somewhere close to the same length as the current (Travel) tube. So, figure in Expedition configuration the overall scooter length will be about 1 foot longer than it is now.

Sorry, that was my misunderstanding. The Expedition body is not an add on for the current body it is a stand alone Two piece long body that holds 4 batteries. I thought the front piece was the same as the current (travel body) but it is wired differently to make the system work with the 4 batteries. They cant just add a tube with two extra batteries to the existing scooter because the electronics won't work[/QUOTE]

Sorry, that was my misunderstanding. The Expedition body is not an add on for the current body it is a stand alone Two piece long body that holds 4 batteries. I thought the front piece was the same as the current (travel body) but it is wired differently to make the system work with the 4 batteries. They cant just add a tube with two extra batteries to the existing scooter because the electronics won't work

Ah, I figured they had the magic for that built into the extension, so it could work.

Okay, well, good update! I will stop spreading misinformation! :wink:

...Two things:

Is anyone using a 20 Volt 12 amp batteries in these? The Dewalt 20 Volt 12 Amp battery is absurdly priced. You can pick up (2) 9 amp batteries for the price of (1) 12 amp.

Also the front end boyance, can't this be fixed with some lead tape or small weight inside?...!
Most of my local buddies sprung for a pair of the Dewalt 12 AH batteries, as did I. I found them on eBay for a healthy discount quantity 8, but that guy doesn't have them any more. It seems like in the past 6 to 8 weeks the price went up some. Maybe because of all the Blacktips sold? Retail for the Blacktip, 2x 12 AH Dewalt batteries and a fast charger is roughly $2K. There's nothing anywhere close new that can touch it, but I'm starting to see a lot of used scooters hit the market here asking around $2K now. Of course, if you have to replace the battery on an older scooter, a pair of the Dewalt 12 AH batteries will start looking pretty inexpensive. Dive-X showed what can be done with firmware updates recently, so the Blacktip is clearly the future of scooters

With the Dewalt 12 AH batteries, if you pull out the steel plate in the nose and stick on a big bolt snap, you're roughly neutrally buoyant in salt water, but it will float nose up. The as yet unannounced tec tube is supposed to make it trim out horizontal instead of vertical, which means it's going to be heavier. As it stands now in the original configuration, it's easy to drive even though it's got a fat butt

Somebody on the Facebook owner's group posted about going a mile offshore with his Blacktip and figures it will quickly pay for itself compared to boat rides

They will be on website at the end of next week and you will be able to order at that time. Shipping will start mid May

Since both versions replace the original tube that shipped with them, any rebates on sending them back?

_R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom