I have a boat on Lake Erie...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SentinelAce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am in the port clinton area. I fish of course but wanted to know where anyone might dive around Kellys, PNB, or anywhere for that fact. How is the Vis? What are the rules for diving off my own boat. I assume just a flag and someone managing the boat while I anchor?

I don't know the area, but ya, a dive flag, and a competent person standing watch. And don't be in a navigable waterway where the big boys might transit...

Best bet for info. may be posting in subforum:
United States,
Central U.S.,
then
Great Lakes.....

i dove the great lakes a lot with my own boat. i would recommend a divers down flag, an alpha flag for sure and a radar reflector when at anchor with divers in the water. the reflector will make you show up on commercial traffic radar, and the alpha flag identifies that your vessel is restricted in movement.

I am in the port clinton area. I fish of course but wanted to know where anyone might dive around Kellys, PNB, or anywhere for that fact. How is the Vis? What are the rules for diving off my own boat. I assume just a flag and someone managing the boat while I anchor?

You can certainly dive from your own boat. You will need to check with the governing state for the waters if there are specific requirements for dive flags (size and position and type). Your boat should be equipped with a means of re-entering the boat safely, obvious to most. You will need proper anchoring gear and enough rode for the depth and expected conditions, for temporary anchorage in benign conditions, usually about 3:1 with a good anchor and enough chain (usually about one foot per length of boat). You would also want, a depth finder/chart plotter/GPS and a VHF com radio, a cell phone is NOT a substitute for a working VHF. As well, whatever USCG and state safety equipment such as flares, life jackets. A PLB is always smart.

Do not anchor in a channel or area of passage. That should be common sense but it is not always clear. As far as your diving practices, that is up to you. If you want to solo or buddy dive, do as you wish and are equipped and trained for. In benign conditions, near shore, no current, then under such conditions, I have and do and will dive without leaving my boat tended but I also stay within sight of my anchor. However, it is always best to have somebody on the boat who can operate it. And clearly if diving far from shore or where current, wind, waves could drag or break the anchor free and endanger the boat, yourself or other boaters/property you should have the boat attended.

Tanks rolling around when underway are a hazard, a means of good storage, such as Roll Control tank holders or a homemade solution will be needed. Make sure to have a first aid kit. If you are diving deep and pushing limits, O2 might be smart but for shallow diving I do not see that as needed.

IMG-4230.jpg

IMG-4235.jpg

IMG-4215.jpg

IMG-4211.jpg

IMG-4287.jpg

When you are the skipper and DM, you are the boss and you are responsible.

N

You can certainly dive from your own boat. You will need to check with the governing state for the waters if there are specific requirements for dive flags (size and position and type). Your boat should be equipped with a means of re-entering the boat safely, obvious to most. You will need proper anchoring gear and enough rode for the depth and expected conditions, for temporary anchorage in benign conditions, usually about 3:1 with a good anchor and enough chain (usually about one foot per length of boat). You would also want, a depth finder/chart plotter/GPS and a VHF com radio, a cell phone is NOT a substitute for a working VHF. As well, whatever USCG and state safety equipment such as flares, life jackets. A PLB is always smart.

Do not anchor in a channel or area of passage. That should be common sense but it is not always clear. As far as your diving practices, that is up to you. If you want to solo or buddy dive, do as you wish and are equipped and trained for. In benign conditions, near shore, no current, then under such conditions, I have and do and will dive without leaving my boat tended but I also stay within sight of my anchor. However, it is always best to have somebody on the boat who can operate it. And clearly if diving far from shore or where current, wind, waves could drag or break the anchor free and endanger the boat, yourself or other boaters/property you should have the boat attended.

Tanks rolling around when underway are a hazard, a means of good storage, such as Roll Control tank holders or a homemade solution will be needed. Make sure to have a first aid kit. If you are diving deep and pushing limits, O2 might be smart but for shallow diving I do not see that as needed.

View attachment 581680

View attachment 581681

View attachment 581682

View attachment 581683

View attachment 581684

When you are the skipper and DM, you are the boss and you are responsible.

N

Wow that's a nice setup. Those tank holders are going to be a must. I'm still a rookie boating but learning. Thanks for the tips

I just realized I need a friend with a boat....not sure why that didn't click before...

I don't know the western basin, but you should pick up a Kris Kohn Great Lakes Shipwrecks book as a starting point....

I don't know the western basin, but you should pick up a Kris Kohn Great Lakes Shipwrecks book as a starting point....

Cris Kohl’s Great Lakes Diving Guide to be specific! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom