Compact SMB Rig w/Finger Reel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replies. Looked at the Halcyon model and haven't used an oral inflating type before. My experience is only with the open bottom types and learned early on the line and reel management technique must be perfect. Will get an oral inflating model and give a try during my Florida lobster trip in July.

Oral inflation is so 2005, install a second BCD hose on a spare LP port and power inflate it. I use my drysuit hose, which I leave on my regs when I'm diving wet and disconnect/reconnect when diving dry.

Oral inflation is so 2005, install a second BCD hose on a spare LP port and power inflate it. I use my drysuit hose, which I leave on my regs when I'm diving wet and disconnect/reconnect when diving dry.

Just make sure that the SMB that you decide to power inflate has an over pressure valve (OPV) that works. Otherwise it's going to pop like an over-inflated balloon on it's ascent.

Just make sure that the SMB that you decide to power inflate has an over pressure valve (OPV) that works.

You'll overinflate orally if you send it up from deep enough. It's built into the dump valve on all the closed SMBs I've seen.

I don't yet use a drysuit so oral inflation it is. A previous poster mentioned Piranah Dive Mfg. out of Florida so gave them some business. They had a self-contained reel that looks easier to use than a finger reel so bought one of those as well.

Back
Top Bottom