Is This Camera Set-Up Worth Selling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We have a Nikonos V camera, Helix stobe, and related equipment that never got much use, see the attached photos.

I am not sure if I should try to sell it, is there still much interest/value in UW film cameras kits?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
NikonosV_001.jpg

NikonosV_002.jpg

NikonosV_003.jpg

NikonosV_004.jpg

NikonosV_005.jpg

Agreed. I have two. Couldn’t even give them away.

Nothing film has any real value anymore. While in surface photography B&W has seen a small revival this has not spilled over into UW photography. The Nikonos system lenses however are another story, that being the 28mm and other wide angle optics for the Nikonos. The standard 35mm lens this camera has is common and of no particular interest.

Saying all that, it is a shame cameras today are built to last two or three years, the Nikonos, like all Nikons of the era, was built to last lifetimes.

If you run it on eBait, you will get a few dollars for it maybe.

N

Give it away.

Agreed. I have two. Couldn’t even give them away.

Nothing film has any real value anymore. While in surface photography B&W has seen a small revival this has not spilled over into UW photography. The Nikonos system lenses however are another story, that being the 28mm and other wide angle optics for the Nikons. The standard 35mm lens this camera has is common and of no particular interest.

Saying all that, it is a shame cameras today are built to last two or three years, the Nikons, like all Nikons of the era, was built to last lifetimes.

If you run it on eBait, you will get a few dollars for it maybe.

N

Thanks for the information!

Kathy, you can probably find a collector who will give you a little money for it. Also, it makes a terrific display on a wall or shelf in a dive shop.

First of all, I own a complete Nikonos kit like yours, but based on a completely-mechanical Nikonos III, and I will never sell it.
If you look on Ebay, a kit like yours in mint conditions is proposed for auction at just more than 200 USD:
Nikon Nikonos V 35mm Underwater Film Camera w SB-103 Light, Under Water Case Etc | eBay
So, if the system is fully functional, you could propose it on Ebay at a similar price.
If not fully functional, then better to dismantle it and sell all the single parts on Ebay, starting with a minimal price for each (like 5 or 10 USD). Some parts will remain unsold, some will be sold for the very low base price, on some other competition will start and you could get more.
In the end, you will still receive 200 USD, more or less.
In these times, also 200 USD are worth to be cached. I have just sold on Ebay the old video card of the gaming computer of my son. Shipped to Columbia. I got 120 USD, which, as said, in these times should not be deprecated.

Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom