Quiz - Physics - Colors

As depth increases underwater colors disappear due to water's ability to _____ light. The first col

• a. diffuse/blue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • b. absorb/red

Votes: 93 92.1%
  • c. refract/red

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • d. bend/white

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I try not to dive cold water (then again, I live in Iowa), so I've never experienced Storker's bonus question, but I found that really interesting and something I had never thought about before.

Anybody seen this video:
We show this in our open water classes, and I'm almost never asked why the pink stays pink and the orange barely changes, but as a chemist who specializes in
putting fluorescent tags on DNA
I always have an answer.

Geek here: scattering, type depends on the size of the particles. If really small particles, Rayleigh scattering, tends to give a blue color (Why is the sky blue?), so even in shallow water things look blue. That's from memory, how'd I do?

The sky is blue because the Earth possess a sufficient gravitational pull to retain an nitrogen/oxygen atmosphere.

The sky is blue because the Earth possess a sufficient gravitational pull to retain an nitrogen/oxygen atmosphere.
Factoid: No, it's because of Rayleigh scattering. Blue light is higher energy, so it scatters laterally across the sky. Other wavelengths of lower energy are pulled downwards by earth's gravity. That's why the sun appears yellow and the sky appears blue.

See definition 2: Definition of factoid | Dictionary.com

I hope nobody is reading this....stuff....and believes it!

Factoid: No, it's because of Rayleigh scattering. Blue light is higher energy, so it scatters laterally across the sky. Other wavelengths of lower energy are pulled downwards by earth's gravity. That's why the sun appears yellow and the sky appears blue.

See definition 2: Definition of factoid | Dictionary.com
Factoid^2: It must be blue because it's deep and the other wavelengths have been absorbed !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom