San Antonio Area Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadoo_

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Are there any dive sites around San Antonio (maybe up to a 3 hr drive?)

I've been to:
Medina Lake, Canyon Lake, (both ****** vis with a possibility of getting infected ear and tons of garbage),

Comal River (more like a workout than a dive) and

Spring Lake (the only good one I've been to), but classes are canceled and also expensive.

The Comal's not a workout if you start upstream and then drift downstream. Just make sure you have transportation arranged from where you exit the river. Make sure you know in advance where the tube chutes are and how to get around them.

You can also drift the San Marcos river below Spring Lake. Similar to the Comal. Also have transportation & know where the dam is.

There's Blue Hole in Georgetown, too. Not the most exciting dive I've ever done (I think I found a whopping 11 feet of depth) but if it's close...

Lake Travis in Austin is probably one of the better locations, viz is highly variable though; lake diving is what lake diving is. Windy Point Park | Windy Point Park offers large shade trees on a natural grass lawn, which overlooks the wide open waterfront on Lake Travis is a scuba park there that is convenient with air fills on site; I would avoid on a weekend though as all the OW classes kick up the sediment quite a bit.

Nice! Thanks for the info! I'll definitely check that out. Maybe try to head early out there at Lake Travis. Tried to move to Florida but all this pandemic shattered my plans. As much as I hate lake diving, it's better than not diving

The Comal's not a workout if you start upstream and then drift downstream. Just make sure you have transportation arranged from where you exit the river. Make sure you know in advance where the tube chutes are and how to get around them.

You can also drift the San Marcos river below Spring Lake. Similar to the Comal. Also have transportation & know where the dam is.

There's Blue Hole in Georgetown, too. Not the most exciting dive I've ever done (I think I found a whopping 11 feet of depth) but if it's close...

Yeah, the workout part is walking back upstream. It seemed really silly when I tried it out. By the third walk, my back was done. lol How wide is the Blue Hole? Any fishes or just straight 11 ft of plant life and shiz?

If you're really desperate you can try the San Antonio river. :D

I've tried pretty much every site in the area, and IMO the only one worth diving regularly is Aquarena (Spring Lake). You'll just have to wait for the classes to start up again and take one. If you want to regularly dive locally it's worth it. It's too bad there are no longer air fills or much of a dive infrastructure there and I have no idea what the class is like these days. I guess one good thing about it is that there are fewer divers than there used to be.

I know that a lot of Austinites like Lake Travis, but I've never enjoyed it much and it's a healthy drive from San Antonio.

How wide is the Blue Hole? Any fishes or just straight 11 ft of plant life and shiz?

It's been a few years since I've been there, my memory's a little fuzzy, but I have a very brief trip report posted here.

Ya, not much around here, right time of year and some of the lakes are clear, but most of the time it's not great...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom