Talked to Scubapro US yesterday and they said the Mk19 is a go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just don't see the advantage of the swivel. It never seems to really help with the first stages I have (MK-5, MK-10, & MK-20/25). :bored:

On backmount doubles, the long hose would go on the swivel turret (on the right post), pointed down (normally). The use in the swivel is for if/when you donate the long hose. At that point, you can fully deploy the hose and the turret swivels so that the long hose routes straight from the 1st stage over your right shoulder. It does not have to make a 90 degree bend right out of the reg. No chance of pulling on it and kinking the hose (as I have heard has happened to someone who was using a MiFlex hose for their long hose).

If you never donate the long hose, then the swivel really has no benefit (in a BM doubles config).

My backmount doubles is done with MK-17 firsts (I will not dive pistons on my cold home waters). No swivel, no need, no problems.

YMMV

My backmount doubles is done with MK-17 firsts (I will not dive pistons on my cold home waters). No swivel, no need, no problems.

YMMV
There you bucking dogma and thinking on your own:poke::wink:

YMMV

That certainly works. If I came across as suggesting that a swivel or a bottom port is NEEDED, I apologize. I only meant to suggest that, to me, anyway, the hose routing is better, on doubles, with a reg with a swivel and bottom port.

Hoses that make a 90 degree bend shortly after coming out of the 1st stage are fine under normal circumstances. But, when you have a stressed out diver holding onto your long hose and breathing off that reg, and they potentially are pulling on it, I just feel better about having that hose not being pulled into making a very sharp 90 degree turn right at the 1st stage. It's not a requirement. It just makes me feel better. :D

I have been seeing ads for the MK19 across the US as of three days ago. Market seems to have opened up!

My LDS talked to Scubapro, who said that they'll be in country July 25. I'm expecting my Mk19/D420 sets a week later.

It makes it a requirement for ME. :)

That makes it a requirement as far as you are concerned, it would be for me :p

Seriously, I happen to agree with you if you haven't noticed. The reasons you bring out are practical points more than "emotional" points. I believe that it should be a requirement from a practical point of view not as an agency standards point of view. I see how the hoses get bent and stressed on non-rotating first stages. Rotating turrets are superior in this regard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom