Doubles wing recommendations please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't this primarily a sidemount wing with some capability for back mount singles?

yes the sms 100 bcd is an SM rig, but it's not great for back mount, I've heard the weight can deform the soft backplate, but I think @loosenit2 is referring to just the wing alone.

I do already have one (although attached to my SM rig) and hadn't thought of re-using it, is it easy to mount the bladder as a wing to a BP?

is it easy to mount the bladder as a wing to a BP?
It'd definitely be easy to mount to a bp for backmount, however, I don't know that it's wide enough to take doubles. It's specifically advertised as being for sidemount or "rear mounted singles"

It'd definitely be easy to mount to a bp for backmount, however, I don't know that it's wide enough to take doubles. It's specifically advertised as being for sidemount or "rear mounted singles"

thanks, I was just reading that too, it's fairly compact and I can't see it being wide enough for doubles.

Shame, it would have been perfect

wet suit needs around 18lbs with sidemounted doubles AL80s, but the drysuit with thermals is over 30 (have to check my log but think it's around 34/36) with a single backmounted AL80
Just to be clear, the question I asked is about how much lead it takes to sink the suit alone, not necessarily the same as the amount of lead you take when diving it.Assuming that is the question you answered: Diving wet you have about a 30 lb swing from most buoyant (empty tanks, near surface) to least buoyant (full tanks, very deep). So to be neutral at all depths, a 30 lb wing is required. Something in the 40 lb range would be sufficient, 60 lb of course would work but would create drag.

I would not expect going to BM doubles vs SM doubles to really require a different wing size (different shape is another question :p ). Sure you will have a manifold and whatnot that decreases your buoyancy, but you don't need to compensate for this with a bigger wing. Just dive with a little less lead.

Just to be clear, the question I asked is about how much lead it takes to sink the suit alone, not necessarily the same as the amount of lead you take when diving it.

ah, I've never worked that out, I've only done weight-checks with suit plus SM BC but no tanks, so I guess drop a pound or two from those numbers, either way it sounds like 45 should cover both nicely thank you.

look for a used oxycheq or dive rite doubles wing in the 40 to 50lb range. they come up pretty often and you can save a decent amount compared to new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom