Cancelled/postponed trips due to COVID - please share your outcomes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad to hear that. The pressure of Social Media seems to work. So your group and outofofficebrb group are the 2 groups for the same trip?

Hi Dan thanks for your support we are in the same group.

Define “fair for all parties involved”
Well that's great news, but I'm confused - wallacea didn't have to give anything back to the agent at all and they still offered to rebook you with only 20% fee, so you got to keep your 80%? I know that stings, but that sounds pretty generous to me. I've only been leading trip since 2003 though so what do I know...

I am not sure of the exact arrangements but I suspect the long term/continued relationship that the agency has with Wallacea may have played a part and they were able to work something out so that we are on next year's trip. I have also done a lot of business with this agency over the last 3 years so I am hoping that might have also helped. COVID has obviously turned everything upside down and our agent has been busy helping us as well as all his other clients and I haven't been made privy to the details. To be honest, at this point....Everyone (Wallacea, our agency, our group) involved took a little bit of a "quarantine haircut" and made some concessions and sacrifices which I think is fair.

I know I have mentioned this before but I am so glad we always book through an agency. Getting through this ordeal and other past issues (canceled flights, delayed arrivals, earthquakes, etc.) has been so much easier with their help. It costs me nothing more and I have been really happy with how they have helped throughout the years. It's like having your own dive travel concierge!

I was due to be aboard the MV FeBrina for 20 days in PNG in 2021. Walindi and the FeBrina will need that whole year rescheduling all the crazy cancelled trips. I agreed to postpone rescheduling until 2022, because Max at Walindi and Alan onboard the FeBrina are good friends. As a reward for uncomplicating their bookings, I will now be aboard for 30 DAYS!

WOOHOO! All I have to do is wait.........

A girl after my own heart and traveling in my style...I approve! :wink:

I'm very sorry to hear about your cancelled charter with Wallacea. I was fortunately/unfortunately on the last charter before operations halted. First Indonesia closed the borders days before the charter (but luckily all of us had been traveling in Indonesia before the pandemic was declared) and made domestic travel a bit tricky. I was so relieved to be on the boat despite all of the uncertainties. They went the extra mile to help other people on my charter get there from Bali when they were having difficulties. They were nothing but extremely supportive of us during the uncertain time and reassured us that they would not leave us stranded. When we got back into port from our charter, most people had new return flights back with the help of their travel agents and working directly with Wallacea. I was the only one who didn't have flights back and they did not abandon me when I had nowhere to go for a few days. I am forever grateful for their help and support. I was able to catch the last flight out of Sorong ever since it turns out. I was so happy going on an operation that wasn't part of a big franchise for the first time, and they didn't disappoint. I found out from them that several members of the Indonesian liveaboard association signed a document that states that people will be able to reschedule their charters, but not for free and they cite the reasons that were given to outofofficebrb above. They are not the only liveaboard company taking fees - there are around 36 different operations in Indonesia that are doing the SAME THING. Please keep this in mind. They are a lovely operation. We are all going through a very difficult time right now - the WHOLE WORLD.

Well, they are offering 80%, which seems pretty generous. I think they could've taken more. I know it hurts a little, but as we're all in this together, it also helps to keep all of these operations from going under....and then none of us will be able to enjoy the lovely wonders that are waiting underwater. Clement was my cruise director - he was great! He had super detailed briefings, did a wonderful job of mixing a variety of dive sites, and worked well with our ever-evolving plans during a pandemic. It couldn't have been easy having to change plans all the time when we weren't allowed to go on land partway through the trip as a new rule during COVID-19. I have nothing but good things to say about Wallacea's operation on the Ambai.

I never doubted that their boat and crew are excellent; our original issues were never about that. I have no doubt their onboard experience is anything short of what you have described. I have heard that their boat and crew are really great and repeatedly from various sources (including @chillyinCanada, among others) including new and repeat customers. They were highly recommended which is why we were really looking forward to sailing with them and booked with them. I have no doubt that their crew were and continue to be helpful and reassuring in a time of uncertainty for you. I am sure it helped having someone speak the local language and to help communicate when needed. I would have some choice words for any boat that just dumped you at the harbor (and am so glad that was not the case). I'm a serial liveaboard diver each year and I agree that the crew can really elevate (or break!) the overall experience.

I know for a fact that some of the boats that were listed on that letter have indeed been rescheduling folks without fees despite being listed on that letter. We have various members that are booked on a few of them that have confirmed this.

None of us ever have anything bad to say about any operation until we each have an issue or financially have something to lose. It is certainly true for me. I look forward to sailing with Wallacea on the Ambai and offering a trip review next year. I don't imagine that the diving will be terrible and I am sure the reviews from all that have sailed with them before are accurate. Raja Ampat is my favorite place to dive and I'm also a serial diver of that location. So, @Dan, when do we meet in Raja? :wink:

I've updated the log through this post. Thanks for everyone's contributions.

Update to our cancelled trip to Cambodia/Thailand: Etihad has agreed to refund the airmiles my husband used for his ticket.

Our next planned trip is Bali/Komodo/Alor in July/August, I'm still crossing my fingers for this trip, but I know it might not happen. Only booked accomodation in Bali and can cancel without penalty, but paid 50% for our LOB in Komodo (full boat charter), they've send me this regarding cancelling: If they can resell our trip we get 100% of our deposit back (2250 US$), if not it's unclear, as it says: "deposit is forfeit, but we will offset your deposit against a future booking within 1 year of cancelation. IE if you enquire to travel with us again your lost deposit will have been noted and we will try to offer a discount price or added value to future booking (an extra day for free maybe or upgrade or overall discount) or even full deposit paid depending on the options that work best at the time"

Alor divers is alowing rescheduling until end of 2021, with only paying the price difference between 2020 and 2021, so that's fine by me.

I'm so glad to hear your Etihad flight situation has sorted itself out. Did you get the miles credited without any fees?

What boat are you on for Bali/Komodo/Alor in July/August? Komodo and Alor are dreamy. :) (I am wondering if it's a boat I have been on.) The rescheduling option sounds a bit TBD - they will either apply your deposit 100% or if not (!!) they might give some discounts or value added. That is how I am understanding what you are writing...Is that correct?

Maldives trip foreseen on May 2nd :

Etihad refuses any direct change or refund, it must be regulated through travel agency (ongoing)

LoB reschedule from nov 2020 to apr 2021 if cabins availables, paying the price difference + 10 % fee of the original price is lost, because the boat owner wants to be paid, even if the boat is empty in may....

What boat is this on? Keep us posted on the travel agency, too.

I received a text message from Orbitz two days ago telling me my flight from Colorado Springs to Manila on May 24th has been canceled and I would be receiving a voucher for the whole price. A email is to arrive soon detailing the limits of the voucher. If the limit of the voucher makes it only good from one year from the time of purchase (like some airlines) then the voucher is of no use to me and will call Orbitz and ask for a refund as mandated that I'm entitled to per DOT's recent directive to all airlines operating within or to and from the United States. If like United airlines which as extended the time to use their vouchers out to two years I'll accept the voucher and be able to use it at a later time. I received a voucher from United for my canceled trip to Cozumel this month and hopefully will be able to use it for another trip there whenever this pandemic blows over. As far as my live aboard trip in the Philippines to Tubbataha at the end of May I'm still waiting to hear back from Liveaboard.com who said they would look into a full refund or a 100% voucher for next year. I have about a week to be able to still cancel the trip and receive a 50% refund per their cancellation policy which I may still do if I don't hear from them soon---Stella Maris liveaboard owned by All Star Liveaboards.

If the flights are being canceled on you, as you mentioned, you should be entitled to a refund. Even if the vouchers can be used for 24 months, at this point, if you are entitled to a refund...Take it and run!

Please keep us posted on the Stella Maris. (I went to Tubbataha back in 2018 and considered sailing with them but ultimately ended up with Discovery Fleet on the Discovery Palawan.)

I found out from them that several members of the Indonesian liveaboard association signed a document that states that people will be able to reschedule their charters, but not for free and they cite the reasons that were given to outofofficebrb above. They are not the only liveaboard company taking fees - there are around 36 different operations in Indonesia that are doing the SAME THING.

I guess it's not too surprising, and is similar to what on the flip-side us divers are doing/sharing on SB; to attempt to try and arrive at a reasonable outcome.

But hopefully the Indonesian Liveaboard Association doesn't cave into LOB owners who've spent a while making good profits who are unwilling to give something back to support their staff and operations. After all, every dollar we leave in a LOB as a pre-paid for a future trip is a quasi-mini-investment in that LOB's longevity until it's 'realised' when diving occurs.

FWIW I've left deposits at my favourite land-based dive shops too, for ... some unknown future date.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom