July Trip to Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Guzewicz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aloha from South Carolina!

Wife and I are planning a trip out to Maui in the middle of July and I've got a few questions for those more familiar with the diving scene. We're looking to stay in the Kaanapali area and will have access to a rental car.

1. The biggie: Do you think that travel/diving will be okay by the middle of July (90 days away).

2. Any recommendations for local dive shops? Looking for a knowledgable shop that can provide some good dives and more than just diving for the "vacation diver".

3. I've read some that there is some good shore diving to be done. Any recommendations on locations?

Thanks everyone!

I have been considering booking flights to Maui or the Big Island for the Sept/Oct/Nov 2020 time frame for some shore diving. Think I'll wait another month to see how things pan out.

I have not done any shore diving on Maui, only the Big Island. Below is a link to a shore dives on Maui. Google will help also.

Good Luck!

Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands

I have a trip planned for July as well and hope to make it out there. I do quite a bit of shore diving in South Maui, so if we’re able to go and you’re interested in meeting up for a shore dive or two, we can see if our calendars will sync.

Aloha Paul ~
July is a great time to dive the Kaanapali Coast. I live on Oahu and dive off of Maui regularly, so I'll give a your questions a go the best I can.

1. There's no way to know this far out if the world will open back up between now and July, but the signs are pointing toward 'yes'. You'll be rolling the dice if you book a trip this far out, but airfare is so cheap right now, I'd say that it's probably worth the risk.

2. When it comes to dive shops near Kaanapali, you can't go wrong with Maui Diving or Extended Horizons. However, I'm sure there are quite a few great shops in and around Lahaina. I have dove with a few different operators there, so I also know a couple that I wouldn't recommend, but I won't post that here. If you want to know, send me a DM.

3. Black Rock is one of my favorite shore dives in Maui and it's right there in Kaanapali. I recommend entering from May's Beach, just north of Lionel's Point. You can easily walk from the Sheraton Maui Resort and Spa, along the golf course boardwalk, and down to the beach. If there's a southern current, which there often is, it's an easy drift dive along the wall and you'll pop out right at Kaanapali Beach in front of the Sheraton. If there is no current, it's an easy swim along the wall with the same exit point. I've seen all kinds of nudibranchs, white tip reef sharks, barracuda, and reef fish along the wall. There are usually some pretty sizable schools.

Hope this is helpful.

Have you guys got crystal balls to predict when travel is going to open up again?

We cancelled our June trip to Maui and are looking to reschedule for sometime in late autumn. I'm going to wait another month or so before we decide how to proceed. As it stands, all visitors to Hawaiʻi are required to quarantine for 14 days. Until that policy changes, it is hard to predict how travel to the islands will be affected.

I have done several drift dives with Lahaina Divers. Molokini backwall, Lanai, and the hammerhead dives are all really good. I did some drift dives below Kehei with Ed Robinson that were good also.

Please note that Ed Robinson retired last summer and sold his boat and permits to ProDiver Maui. At first the ERDA crew continued working on the old Sea Spirit (now ProDiver III), but they all quit earlier this year.

Please note that Ed Robinson retired last summer and sold his boat and permits to ProDiver Maui. At first the ERDA crew continued working on the old Sea Spirit (now ProDiver III), but they all quit earlier this year.

Wow, that is super disappointing. We have been diving with ERDA for years. We dove with the ERDA crew last November on the ProDiver III. I'm sad that will have been the last time.

Back
Top Bottom