Looking for a new primary light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ontwreckdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have had a 600 lumen I Torch that uses 3 AAA batteries forever and want to upgrade. I have been looking at Big Blue and Sola 2000 lumen and up lights with rechargeable batteries. The Big Blue lights are cheaper than the Sola and since we pay 25% more up here price is some what of a concern.
Is there any advantage to one over the other? I'm open to other recommendations also?

friends don't let friends buy big blue, super shady company.
When comparing big blue to Sola's, you have to double the lumen on the big blue to get similar output to the Sola. I.e. you have to look at 4000 lumen big blues when comparing against 2000 lumen Solas.

I'd look at something like the Dive Rite CX1

When comparing big blue to Sola's, you have to double the lumen on the big blue to get similar output to the Sola. I.e. you have to look at 4000 lumen big blues when comparing against 2000 lumen Solas.

Hi, do you have a "dumbed down version" for me in why? Thanks.

@Ontwreckdiver PS they are both on sale right now with Solas being a way bigger sale..45-50% off I believe. Big Blue only 20% off or something in the US. Bakscatter and other places.

I have the CX1. Worked really well on the two quarry dives I did with it so far. However, it's out of stock at DRIS until late May and DGX doesn't have it either. Probably China production delays. It's $159 for the light and $25 for the elastic hand mount, which is actually more substantial than it appears.

@Ontwreckdiver PS they are both on sale right now with Solas being a way bigger sale..45-50% off I believe. Big Blue only 20% off or something in the US. Bakscatter and other places.
BB is sketchy, particularly their battery history. They also claim much higher lumens than is generally comparable to the rest in the industry. If you ignore all of that, there are people that are happy with them and with the construction. I am less than fond but have used them when needed/lent to me/only video lights available.

terrible battery history, they like to explode...
They grossly overstate their lumen output which is why you have to assume their claimed output is half of what it actually is.

Thanks for all the replies, so Big Blue is out.
I have been looking at this Sola. Sola Dive Pro 2000 Light
My LDS owner is the president of Kraken Sports, so I can get a light from him locally. NR-2000 (about $280 CAN) Anybody have any experience with their lights.

Thanks for all the replies, so Big Blue is out.
I have been looking at this Sola. Sola Dive Pro 2000 Light
My LDS owner is the president of Kraken Sports, so I can get a light from him locally. NR-2000 (about $280 CAN) Anybody have any experience with their lights.

Their video lights are generally well received but I would certainly try to support your LDS when you can, especially with that much of a discount

big blue does not have good led driver regulation and the output drops as the batteries drain down, likely due to inadequate voltage regulation. compare it to a kraken where the output is stable until the batteries drain to their cutoff voltage.

We Test Lights | Hydra 2500 WRU Test and Review

We Test Lights | TL2800P Test and Review

only downside to the nr2000 is the non-standard battery size. would be better if they stuck with the hydra 2500/3500 battery which also would have been more runtime.

Their video lights are generally well received but I would certainly try to support your LDS when you can, especially with that much of a discount

Thanks tbone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom