Can anyone ID two of these people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kay Dee

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The photo below was taken at the end of the very first IANTD 'Recreational' Instructor Course, 14th May, 1993. Note; I say 'recreational' as up to that date they only cross-taught / re-branded instructors that already had an instructor rating from another agency. (That is, we three were the very first IANTD instructors that were not already instructors with another agency!) Anyway, on left is (a DEA agent at the time) from somewhere up north, say Washington DC way whose name completely escapes me: that's me in the center, and to my right is 'Chris', a guy from Jupiter Beach Florida that I did more wreck and cave diving with. Of course, far right is the legendary Tom Mount along with (lower part of photo) his two assistant instructors. :acclaim:

Now, as my memory does not serve me well re their second names, I wonder if anyone here may know of or recognize the two of them? So, can anyone ID or know who the DEA Agent or Chris from Jupiter may be? I know it is a tall ask, but any help appreciated.

Oh, and don't bother to suggest I contact Tom. He seems too tied up these daze supporting Trump on other social media platforms that I do not visit. :bicker: Nor do I think, much like myself, he would / could remember anyway.:rofl3:

ATTENTION MODS; If you think there is a better section / thread to post this request on, PLEASE move there. TIA.

First 3 IANTD recreational instructors.jpg

I don't recognize them, but what a great bit of history. Can/will you tell us more of what you did in the crossover?

BTW, TM thinks that I'm the most irresponsible person on the internet for not censoring every post on ScubaBoard.

I don't recognize them, but what a great bit of history. Can/will you tell us more of what you did in the crossover?
Just quickly, it was NOT an instructor crossover course, it was the first IANTD instructor course from the 'ground up' so to speak. That is, we were just 'divers' prior, not instructors with any other agency. Hence the first three instructors trained from a diver to an instructor by IANTD.

BTW, something else that may ring someones bell as to who Chis is; Chris and I (and another mix student whose name IIRC was Pierce Hoover(?), the editor of a now defunct diving magazine) were on our very first trimix dive (on an over-crowded course co-taught by Tom and Gilliam) off of Jim Mim's boat (diving on the RBJ & Chris Corey) when one of Jim's spero buddies, who was NOT on the course, but was diving off the boat on air (to about 80m) using independent doubles, when in the heat of the hunt, he accidentally switched to o2 at about 75m or so, and died almost instantly, literally, right in front of our eyes (see red dot below as to where 'event' took place). Man, was that a long thoughtful deco - about what I was really getting into - coming up from that dive!

BTW, TM thinks that I'm the most irresponsible person on the internet for not censoring every post on ScubaBoard.
You irresponsible rascal, you! I love Tom, and although not having seen him in person for many many years, were once close friends, even traveling to Bikini together as it were to co-teach the boys there their trimix course; and I respect him tremendously as a diver, but still, IMO, he has no business asking you to censor anything, unless it was something out and out erroneous (re him or IANTD I suppose) and could be proved so.

And on another front altogether, and with nothing whatsoever to do with you, politics is like religion, generally best kept to oneself unless asked, rather than being rammed down someones throat............................but enough said on that divisive issue.

Below drawing by Jim Mims.

RBJ & CC by Jim Mims.jpg

TM thinks that I'm the most irresponsible person on the internet for not censoring every post on ScubaBoard.

That's a BIG title...keep up the good work!

Thanks for the clarification. Pierce is a friend of mine and we used to live close by when I lived in Winter Park, Fl. I never got to dive with him, though.
You irresponsible rascal, you!
Some people just don't like any opinion that's not theirs. We don't vet for "truth": we vet for tone. You can be right as rain and still find your vituperative post deleted. There's no need to not be 'nice'. When it comes to truth, we like to see candid and spirited exchanges to give us all sides. Most of us are able to see through any hooey.
That's a BIG title...keep up the good work!
The best was the guy who called me a "Power mad satrap of a moderator". I adopted that as my title for a month or two. Unless they are pushing a practice UNIVERSALLY accepted as dangerous, like ascending while holding your breath, then we don't get involved unless it's a mean spirited post. Be nice.

Back to @Kay Dee's Instructor Class... How long did the entire course take? How many dives? How many class room presentations? Did you have to deal with pretend students? What were you allowed to teach after it was done? Did you ever have to kneel?

Chris is Chris Cole

Is that drawing real? Two shipwrecks landing on top of one another?

Chris is Chris Cole

THANKS! Your damn right it is!!!!:yeahbaby:
You have put your 'Secret Field Agent' credentials to very good use Capt. Wasson.:cheers:

Anyone know where he is these daze?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom