Why are jacket style BCD's the most common??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So that was all tongue in cheek and you do travel with a backplate.

I met you at Portage Quarry in 2006 and I think you were diving "vintage" gear. I am petite but now much older and I have no problem lugging my scuba gear including bp, plus my suitcase.

Hey, of course. Yes, I do use a backplate and wing (if I use a BC). And yes, I carry my own equipment (mostly :wink: ) and usually my wife's as well. I use either the lightweight Oxy travel plate which is one of the reinforced fabric plates or I use the VDH mini-plate. I am weight integrated usually.

Screen-Shot-2019-11-24-at-8-03-52-PM.png

I have on occasion been tempted to purchase an AL Zuma or now I am slightly smitten with the AL Outlaw in a 12 pounds lift configuration. It is not likely I will ever get to Portage again, it was fun but a long drive for freshwater. A great bunch there and an interesting shop too.

I think it is the "adjustability" factor in large part of the jacket style BC that results in their ubiquitous use in rental and training. They can adjust something that does not fit to where it almost fits and kinda works. And away you go!

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom