Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having an exposed O-ring when the gloves are not attached is also one of the reasons I rate the Ultima lower than the Kubi.

With Kubi, the glove side of the connection is the male side, so the O-ring that makes the seal is on the glove side. No dry gloves attached means no O-ring exposed to getting damaged.

With Ultima (and, apparently, Rolock), the male side is on the suit, so the sealing O-ring could get damaged if you don't have the gloves installed.
Yes. I personally prefer twistlock systems in general over pushlock, and the rolock version appears much more smoothly implemented than the sitech equivalent, which I have seen in use and regard as clunky. If it had a female cuff side I would consider it ideal. I am going to stick with the rolock system based on this good feedback. I have watched every video of it I can find and it does use a cuff seal and a dry glove as long as you are installing it into a sitech cuff and not just into a latex seal. The kubis are the finest system, but too rich for my blood given the alternatives available. I can't wait to try it, but I am going to have to do a few months of that given the backorder.

There have been a lot of discussions here about the Nova vs. the Ultra. One plus of ordering the Ultra versus the Nova is they must be easier to make, and not in as high of demand. I just got my order summary via email. Order date, March 1st, 2020. Proposed dispatch date, April 10th, 2020. Just 40 days between order data and shipment. Can't beat that! If I would have known, I would have ordered even sooner...could have used it this season!

There have been a lot of discussions here about the Nova vs. the Ultra. One plus of ordering the Ultra versus the Nova is they must be easier to make, and not in as high of demand. I just got my order summary via email. Order date, March 1st, 2020. Proposed dispatch date, April 10th, 2020. Just 40 days between order data and shipment. Can't beat that! If I would have known, I would have ordered even sooner...could have used it this season!
I think you just pushed me over the edge for the Ultra.

@drk5036 What options did you get? I'm wondering if different options slow it down. I'm sure things like badges have an effect.
I ordered a really streamlined model. My only options were si-tech valves, neoprene socks, internal braces (suspenders), and a name badge. I also ordered the 150 g undergarments and the high viz hood.

I bet installing the quick cuffs for neck and wrist seals add some manufacturing time, as well as adding pockets.

Or it might just be ultra and nova are different production lines and nova is backed up but ultra is basically free.

Hi folks,

My Seaskin drysuit came in the mail a month or two ago. Finally got out to dive it this weekend. Will post some photos and a review at a later time. Couple questions.

1) I ordered the suit with the 250g thinsulate undies, ticked the box to use same measurements as the suit. Undersuit is a decent fit from the ribcage down, maybe a little tight but OK. From the chest up, it is way, way too small. I didn't attempt to put the trilam over the top, but there is no way I would be able to reach my valves even without it. Was unable to remove the undersuit without a friend's help. The trilam suit has a much better fit (a little loose if anything). Reached out to Seaskin, they assured me they'd be willing to tailor it or whatever, but it'll take awhile given the whole apocalypse situation. It's just a little weird -- did you folks find that the undersuit and the oversuit seemed to be made for completely different bodies?

2) My existing Deep6 thick boots are too small to wear w/ the suit. I have the neoprene socks, and wore SmartWool hiking socks underneath. My Deep6 boots are size 10, and fit either barefoot or wearing these which are very thin, like half a millimeter. Any ideas what size I should go up to to accommodate thick wool socks + neoprene socks? I was thinking maybe 13.

Hi folks,

My Seaskin drysuit came in the mail a month or two ago. Finally got out to dive it this weekend. Will post some photos and a review at a later time. Couple questions.

1) I ordered the suit with the 250g thinsulate undies, ticked the box to use same measurements as the suit. Undersuit is a decent fit from the ribcage down, maybe a little tight but OK. From the chest up, it is way, way too small. I didn't attempt to put the trilam over the top, but there is no way I would be able to reach my valves even without it. Was unable to remove the undersuit without a friend's help. The trilam suit has a much better fit (a little loose if anything). Reached out to Seaskin, they assured me they'd be willing to tailor it or whatever, but it'll take awhile given the whole apocalypse situation. It's just a little weird -- did you folks find that the undersuit and the oversuit seemed to be made for completely different bodies?

2) My existing Deep6 thick boots are too small to wear w/ the suit. I have the neoprene socks, and wore SmartWool hiking socks underneath. My Deep6 boots are size 10, and fit either barefoot or wearing these which are very thin, like half a millimeter. Any ideas what size I should go up to to accommodate thick wool socks + neoprene socks? I was thinking maybe 13.
have you tried (is it possible to?) remove the insole? I wear Altama assault boots when I dive, in warm water with just lycra socks. With 3 mm neoprene socks, they fit fine if I just remove the insole.

Hi folks,

I ordered suit and 250 under suit together. They fit fine. Sounds like they just made a mistake on yours. Bummer!

I normally wear 10.5 shoes. I ended up with size 12 booties to fit over my neo socks.

I normally wear 10.5 shoes. I ended up with size 12 booties to fit over my neo socks.
Do you wear warm/thick socks under the neoprene socks of the drysuit, or just lycra/nothing?

have you tried (is it possible to?) remove the insole? I wear Altama assault boots when I dive, in warm water with just lycra socks. With 3 mm neoprene socks, they fit fine if I just remove the insole.
There is a separate neoprene liner plus an outer plastic shell in the Deep6 thick boot. However, it seems to be permanently attached. Not sure if it could be cut out without destroying either the liner or the shell (or both haha). Since I just have the 1 pair now and it fits great for diving wet, I'm not going to attempt to hack these ones up :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom