Help needed ASAP! Perdix AI screen blanked out and computer died in the middle of a dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, there are common practices, best practices, good practices, and poor practices. A poor practice would be starting a dive with a dive computer battery that is low. A best practice would be carrying a backup computer. A good practice is planning in advance would you will do if some piece of equipment fails during a dive; this exercise is part of the solo training offered by several agencies, not so you can necessarily dive solo, but so you can be self-reliant. A good practice is to surface immediately if your SPG fails, or your computer. You know you were OK up to that point, so it is not an emergency, but the dive is over. A common practice -- tending strongly toward being a poor practice -- is to keep diving for a while, or to use your buddy's computer.
I'm sympathetic that your computer died. They do that, from time to time. Switch to your backup, or ascend; the dive is over.
Get the computer fixed; you are doing that. I don't see the problem, other than "lamenting" that you lost some dives from the computer's memory. Easy problem to fix in the future. In fact a best practice is daily downloads.
I've always made sure that my batter has at least 30% charge before each dive.

I have a SPG as my backup just in case my AI fails and I check both my DC and SPG for air.

I did not go down with a backup computer because I had forgot to pack mine for the trip. (So this one is on me).

I always stay close to my dive buddy to anticipate for unforeseen circumstances - Which in this instance, it is because the circuilt board died in the middle of the dive and it is unforeseen circumstance.

I showed him my computer screen and he lent me his back-up DC, finished the dive, and we surfaced together.

So let's stick with the topic about the technical failure of my Perdix during my dive and not how often I should download my log.

But I do appreciate your input for a healthy discussion and an open dialogue.

Just a thought- data that's not backed up to more than one place is as good as lost.

(at the risk of sounding like beating a dead horse)

LMAO I think the OP was pretty clear that he didn't care about the log data. Many of us don't and it serves as little more than a memento of our dives.

I had an old Perdix die on a recent trip, possibly the result of the flight. I posted about it, and as always SW was spectacular in dealing with this. I had a spare Perdix, so nothing lost, and in my case, I just downloaded the dives from the Perdix. The numbering is messed up, but who cares.

The take-way from all this is that SW and it's affiliates continue to set a high bar for DC service. I mean, before Shearwater, was servicing a dive computer even a thing? I have a drawer-full off dead DCs that aren't repairable, because the manufacturer won't or can't repair them.

I mean, before Shearwater, was servicing a dive computer even a thing

I was under the impression failed computers would have to be sent back to shearwter. Awesome to hear that dive shops are able to crack them open and repair them now!

I was under the impression failed computers would have to be sent back to shearwter. Awesome to hear that dive shops are able to crack them open and repair them now!
He is talking about mfg servicing, not servicing by dive shops.

No, I believe SWs need to go back to an authorized SW service centre (which in Canada, is Shearwater). I just don't recall any of me earlier computers being "repairable" other than perhaps some ancient Aladdins, but that was a long, long process. I may well be wrong however.

I guess, I’m OCD about logging dives. I have the apps that I download to and I am old school. I also log my dives in a log book. Currently on #2 of those.

Glenn

No, I believe SWs need to go back to an authorized SW service centre (which in Canada, is Shearwater). I just don't recall any of me earlier computers being "repairable" other than perhaps some ancient Aladdins, but that was a long, long process. I may well be wrong however.
I reached out to SW and they told me to send it to NZ. That is where the Asia service center for SW is located.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom