South Australia Adventure - Leafy Seadragons and Pyjama Squid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J Miller

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
“The Dive” (For this dive recap, I actually mapped my shots (by looking at the time taken) to the dive computer. Behind each photo, the minute of the dive is displayed.)

There are times in life where the stars align, everything works out, and the scuba gods bless you with a dive to remember. After traveling for more than (2) days, I was finally at the Edithburgh Pier getting ready for our first night dive. We dove earlier that day and it was great. I got to see some very cool critters, but they were skittish and were not ready to come out under the bright Southern Australia sun. As we slipped under the turbulent water, the action started immediately. About 2-3 feet down, Daniel signaled me. I swam over and saw a really cool nudibranch in the water column. I tried to steady my camera rig, but I was simply not ready to shoot. I was a little disappointed and thought, hopefully I don’t get skunked on this dive.

i-DxhVr2C-M.jpg

As we descended to about 11 feet, we spotted a very active Southern Sand Octopus. These octos are extremely active and dart around the eelgrass. In addition to the playfulness, the sand fleas were out in mass numbers (especially in the shallows), which made macro photography even more challenging. I managed a couple shots and decided to move a bit further down the pier. As I hit the first piling, we spotted our first of many Southern Blue Ringed Octopus. I had only seen one in the Phillipines, so to see the southern version was a huge treat. Just 10 minutes into the dive and still at 11 feet in depth a Maori Octopus darted towards me. This octo was also extremely active and hunting in the shallow waters. Since I had my macro lens, I could only manage an eyeball shot of this large octopus. Although they are not as big as the Giant Pacific Octopus, they are pretty good size. After this brief encounter, I decided I needed to start down the pier. However, I spotted two more BRO, and decided to capture a few more shots before heading down the pier.

i-H3c7vRM-M.jpg

i-7z8bnrk-M.jpg

i-zjmwKSC-M.jpg

As I continued to scan the rubble and rocks for more treasures, I spotted something in the water column, a sea spider! My heart raced a bit and I lined up for a couple shots. I squeezed off about (4) shots before the spider curled up and decided to play “invisible”. As I turned to continue down the pier, I spotted (4) Southern Calamari Squid dancing around, just outside my light. I patiently waited for an opportunity and captured a couple of nice images of these amazing critters. Daniel, noticed me shooting the squid and waited for a chance to point out a juvenile giant cuttlefish. It was really cute, hovering over some rubble, flaring up its tentacles as a defense gesture. Right next to the cuttlefish, was a beautiful decorator crab. Snap, snao, snap! I was in the zone. Out of the corner of my eye, Daniel gave me another quick flash and pointed out (3) Pot-belly Seahorses. I spent the next 5 minutes with them and was only 30 minutes into my dive and now 14 feet deep.

i-WMX2sFf-M.jpg

i-Mb9Fgsj-M.jpg

i-m8JPBnd-M.jpg

The next encounter would come at the :33 minute mark. Yes, a 3 minute break in the action. We found (2) really cool bottom dwelling fish. I need to get an ID on these fish, but they reminded me of my home town Buffalo Sculpin. I took a few shots and ventured down the pier. At this time, I started thinking “I have not seen the infamous Pyjama Squid, I hope I see one.” Around the 40-minute mark at a depth of 25’ Daniel pointed out a Skeleton Shrimp. I did the best I could, it was tiny. Later he told me “I’ve never seen that kind before.’ The Skeleton Shrimp forced me to look small, and thank goodness I did. A jellyfish in the water column, followed by a tiny nudibranch, and an extremely small bobtail squid. As I checked my air and gauges, 45 minutes, at 25’, and I still had a ton of air.

i-25qRg93-M.jpg

i-7s7qCbF-M.jpg

i-vttFPrk-M.jpg

The next 15 minutes were the quietest of the dive and we encountered a large Bobtail Squid, a Stingray, a Southern Keeled Octopus, a South Australia Catfish, (2) Giant Cuttlefish, and (2) Nudibranchs (one on eggs). In that 15 minute span the large Bobtail squid was amazing. We were now an hour into the dive and toward the end of the pier, so we decided to head back. Still no Pyjama Squid and we are at the 60 minute mark.

i-vnSXV5J-M.jpg

i-SRVVbzt-M.jpg

i-fRxhLvH-M.jpg

As we turned to head back we found a really neat looking Ringback Pipefish. It was camouflaged so well and was really difficult to photograph. I managed a couple shots before moving to the next critter. Shortly after the pipefish, another treat in the water column. This time a sea slug wiggling around and floating by for a photo opportunity. Every kick seemed to churn up another photo opportunity, a cool Anemone, several BRO, Nudobranch, Then wow, another species of octopus, this time a Southern White-Spotted Octopus. Although this one was also hunting, it was a bit more docile than the other (4) octopus I encountered during this dive.

i-XN7sdQ5-M.jpg

i-kG5BdWM-M.jpg

As we hit 75 minutes and 15 feet, still no Pyjama Squid. I was starting to think. “How could this amazing dive end with no Pyjama Squid? Oh well, still had a great dive.” Daniel found a nice little Squat Lobster to take my mind off the lack of Pyjama Squid. After a few more kicks, boom! A Pyjama Squid at the 77 minute mark in 15 feet of water. After about 5-6 shots I could tell the squid was agitated from my flashes and bright lights, so I moved on. Another Pyjama Squid, this time a little smaller. Excited, I positioned for a few more shots of this amazing critter. After several photos, Daniel signaled again, a really large cuttlefish. I swam over and took a couple shots, but wanted more Pyjama Squid photos. I encountered another Pyjama Squid and Cuttlefish. At the 84 minute mark, I decided to head back up as I was getting a little chilled. However, Edithburgh was not finished delvering. A Southern Velvetfish, curled up and ready for photos sat in 12 feet of water waiting for me. (2) more BRO and (2) more Pyjama Squid. Edithburgh kept the magic going. As we headed toward the ladder to exit, the dive ended with a Coffin Ray (or Numbfish) swimming right under me. I managed one shot and later found out these electric rays can deliver 220 volt shock!

i-WLKV5XC-M.jpg

i-j5mWzkT-M.jpg

As we drove to the caravan park, we recounted to night. Daniel even said, that was amazing, about the best Edithburgh can deliver. Over the 92 minutes, I averaged about 1 photo per minute and we had roughly (50) unique critter encounters. I barely slept that night, dreaming about the barrage of cool critters. What an amazing dive and trip.

“The Dive” (For this dive recap, I actually mapped my shots (by looking at the time taken) to the dive computer. Behind each photo, the minute of the dive is displayed.)

There are times in life where the stars align, everything works out, and the scuba gods bless you with a dive to remember. After traveling for more than (2) days, I was finally at the Edithburgh Pier getting ready for our first night dive. We dove earlier that day and it was great. I got to see some very cool critters, but they were skittish and were not ready to come out under the bright Southern Australia sun. As we slipped under the turbulent water, the action started immediately. About 2-3 feet down, Daniel signaled me. I swam over and saw a really cool nudibranch in the water column. I tried to steady my camera rig, but I was simply not ready to shoot. I was a little disappointed and thought, hopefully I don’t get skunked on this dive.

View attachment 579071

As we descended to about 11 feet, we spotted a very active Southern Sand Octopus. These octos are extremely active and dart around the eelgrass. In addition to the playfulness, the sand fleas were out in mass numbers (especially in the shallows), which made macro photography even more challenging. I managed a couple shots and decided to move a bit further down the pier. As I hit the first piling, we spotted our first of many Southern Blue Ringed Octopus. I had only seen one in the Phillipines, so to see the southern version was a huge treat. Just 10 minutes into the dive and still at 11 feet in depth a Maori Octopus darted towards me. This octo was also extremely active and hunting in the shallow waters. Since I had my macro lens, I could only manage an eyeball shot of this large octopus. Although they are not as big as the Giant Pacific Octopus, they are pretty good size. After this brief encounter, I decided I needed to start down the pier. However, I spotted two more BRO, and decided to capture a few more shots before heading down the pier.

View attachment 579072

View attachment 579073

View attachment 579074

As I continued to scan the rubble and rocks for more treasures, I spotted something in the water column, a sea spider! My heart raced a bit and I lined up for a couple shots. I squeezed off about (4) shots before the spider curled up and decided to play “invisible”. As I turned to continue down the pier, I spotted (4) Southern Calamari Squid dancing around, just outside my light. I patiently waited for an opportunity and captured a couple of nice images of these amazing critters. Daniel, noticed me shooting the squid and waited for a chance to point out a juvenile giant cuttlefish. It was really cute, hovering over some rubble, flaring up its tentacles as a defense gesture. Right next to the cuttlefish, was a beautiful decorator crab. Snap, snao, snap! I was in the zone. Out of the corner of my eye, Daniel gave me another quick flash and pointed out (3) Pot-belly Seahorses. I spent the next 5 minutes with them and was only 30 minutes into my dive and now 14 feet deep.

View attachment 579075

View attachment 579076

View attachment 579077

The next encounter would come at the :33 minute mark. Yes, a 3 minute break in the action. We found (2) really cool bottom dwelling fish. I need to get an ID on these fish, but they reminded me of my home town Buffalo Sculpin. I took a few shots and ventured down the pier. At this time, I started thinking “I have not seen the infamous Pyjama Squid, I hope I see one.” Around the 40-minute mark at a depth of 25’ Daniel pointed out a Skeleton Shrimp. I did the best I could, it was tiny. Later he told me “I’ve never seen that kind before.’ The Skeleton Shrimp forced me to look small, and thank goodness I did. A jellyfish in the water column, followed by a tiny nudibranch, and an extremely small bobtail squid. As I checked my air and gauges, 45 minutes, at 25’, and I still had a ton of air.

View attachment 579078

View attachment 579079

View attachment 579080

The next 15 minutes were the quietest of the dive and we encountered a large Bobtail Squid, a Stingray, a Southern Keeled Octopus, a South Australia Catfish, (2) Giant Cuttlefish, and (2) Nudibranchs (one on eggs). In that 15 minute span the large Bobtail squid was amazing. We were now an hour into the dive and toward the end of the pier, so we decided to head back. Still no Pyjama Squid and we are at the 60 minute mark.

View attachment 579081

View attachment 579082

View attachment 579083

As we turned to head back we found a really neat looking Ringback Pipefish. It was camouflaged so well and was really difficult to photograph. I managed a couple shots before moving to the next critter. Shortly after the pipefish, another treat in the water column. This time a sea slug wiggling around and floating by for a photo opportunity. Every kick seemed to churn up another photo opportunity, a cool Anemone, several BRO, Nudobranch, Then wow, another species of octopus, this time a Southern White-Spotted Octopus. Although this one was also hunting, it was a bit more docile than the other (4) octopus I encountered during this dive.

View attachment 579084

View attachment 579085

As we hit 75 minutes and 15 feet, still no Pyjama Squid. I was starting to think. “How could this amazing dive end with no Pyjama Squid? Oh well, still had a great dive.” Daniel found a nice little Squat Lobster to take my mind off the lack of Pyjama Squid. After a few more kicks, boom! A Pyjama Squid at the 77 minute mark in 15 feet of water. After about 5-6 shots I could tell the squid was agitated from my flashes and bright lights, so I moved on. Another Pyjama Squid, this time a little smaller. Excited, I positioned for a few more shots of this amazing critter. After several photos, Daniel signaled again, a really large cuttlefish. I swam over and took a couple shots, but wanted more Pyjama Squid photos. I encountered another Pyjama Squid and Cuttlefish. At the 84 minute mark, I decided to head back up as I was getting a little chilled. However, Edithburgh was not finished delvering. A Southern Velvetfish, curled up and ready for photos sat in 12 feet of water waiting for me. (2) more BRO and (2) more Pyjama Squid. Edithburgh kept the magic going. As we headed toward the ladder to exit, the dive ended with a Coffin Ray (or Numbfish) swimming right under me. I managed one shot and later found out these electric rays can deliver 220 volt shock!

View attachment 579086

View attachment 579087

As we drove to the caravan park, we recounted to night. Daniel even said, that was amazing, about the best Edithburgh can deliver. Over the 92 minutes, I averaged about 1 photo per minute and we had roughly (50) unique critter encounters. I barely slept that night, dreaming about the barrage of cool critters. What an amazing dive and trip.

To what @Khrissi has said, I would also add envy. Pictures were simply stunning. There was enough going on with that one dive to equal an average week long dive trip. I would be interested in knowing a bit more about the logistics of the trip if you have the time. Thanks and be safe.

Logistics were very easy. I flew from LAX to Sydney to Adelaide. I rented an Airbnb near Diving Adelaide dive shop. They hooked me up with a private guide for the week. Since Edithburgh is about a 4 hour drive. We spent 2 nights there at the caravan park in Caboowie. Diving Adelaide set that up and the park was nice and right on a bay. My dive guide was phenomenal, took me wine tasting in the Barossa Valley and hiking for kangaroos and koalas on the way back to Adelaide. After three days in Edithburgh, we headed back to the Airbnb and I simply met my guide at the shop for the final days of leafy sea dragon diving, which was near rapid bay, 1 hour in the opposite direction. I did rent a car so I could drive on the left. It was really nice having a vehicle. Adelaide has excellent restaurants and bars. Let me know if you want info on anything else. Oh yeah, I went in the warm months and water temp was 68, winter can drop to the 50’s. I rotated between a 5mm and 7mm. In the winter, I’d bring my Drysuit. Dives are all shore dives, easy entry and shallow. Hope you can make it out there someday.

Logistics were very easy. I flew from LAX to Sydney to Adelaide. I rented an Airbnb near Diving Adelaide dive shop. They hooked me up with a private guide for the week. Since Edithburgh is about a 4 hour drive. We spent 2 nights there at the caravan park in Caboowie. Diving Adelaide set that up and the park was nice and right on a bay. My dive guide was phenomenal, took me wine tasting in the Barossa Valley and hiking for kangaroos and koalas on the way back to Adelaide. After three days in Edithburgh, we headed back to the Airbnb and I simply met my guide at the shop for the final days of leafy sea dragon diving, which was near rapid bay, 1 hour in the opposite direction. I did rent a car so I could drive on the left. It was really nice having a vehicle. Adelaide has excellent restaurants and bars. Let me know if you want info on anything else. Oh yeah, I went in the warm months and water temp was 68, winter can drop to the 50’s. I rotated between a 5mm and 7mm. In the winter, I’d bring my Drysuit. Dives are all shore dives, easy entry and shallow. Hope you can make it out there someday.

Thanks a bunch. The bucket list just got longer. Again your pictures are great and a welcome break for the current news. Stay safe.

View attachment 579071

View attachment 579072

View attachment 579073

View attachment 579074

View attachment 579075

View attachment 579076

View attachment 579077

View attachment 579078

View attachment 579079

View attachment 579080

View attachment 579081

View attachment 579082

View attachment 579083

View attachment 579084

View attachment 579085

View attachment 579086

View attachment 579087

We were trying to think of where we should go this year for something extraordinary. It looks like the trip to PNG that we were scheduled to take is falling apart, so now I’m set on Edinburgh and Adelaide!

Great pics thanks for sharing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom