Currently open DFW area dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@GameChanger, you should give Scuba Ranch in Terrell another chance when they re-open! The family that owns it now is awesome, very friendly and care a lot about providing a terrific experience for everyone. They've done a lot to help improve dive quality including introducing European Carp and installing 8 industrial aerators. This year I've experienced 30ft+ visibility, and it will only get better.

I was able to make it out to Wheeler Branch Park this Saturday, it was a nice dive. Visibility not great, and not much to see, but there are some interesting features like shore entry and walls, etc. That was actually the first time I have dove there, so I confess I don't really know too much about what all they have, except for the boat we saw.

... Scuba Park in Terrell. It is one of the worst diving venues I have ever experienced. Horrid visibility, poor water quality and it is run like a prison camp.

What do you mean? I'm just curious. I moved from the DFW area many years ago. When I was using it, since the first day it opened as CSSP, it wasn't run on a strict fashion, although, you couldn't get a fill over 3000 psi.

Other possibilities include Windy Point at Lake Travis and Spring Lake in San Marcos. Spring Lake would require their Scientific Diver class and doing some maintenance work for them but water is nice in the wintertime.

You can still dive Possum Kingdom but the dive place is closed. You would probably need a boat to access from the lake side.

Getting back to the previously maligned Scuba Ranch, it’s a good day trip from the DFW area and is good to knock off some rust prior to a trip or to play with new gear, which is exactly what you want to do. Shame they are closed.

Spring Lake is currently closed being part of the TSU system, which is closed because of the virus.
Scuba Ranch is closed per the Kaufman County stay-at-home order but will reopen as soon as permitted.
Athens Scuba Park is also closed because of the virus.
Windy Point -- not sure. I would advise you call first.
Wheeler Branch is definitely still open as of this post.

What do you mean? I'm just curious. I moved from the DFW area many years ago. When I was using it, since the first day it opened as CSSP, it wasn't run on a strict fashion, although, you couldn't get a fill over 3000 psi.

Again, I have nothing but positive things to say about Scuba Ranch. Since acquiring the site, I have gotten to know the new owners decently well and they are wonderful. They are pretty much always there to hang out with divers (and by that I mean they are always working on site improvements and stop to say hello). Regarding the fill pressure capabilities, with current staff you shouldn't have any problems. They also just tore out the old compressor and will be turning it into a dive attraction. It's pretty neat looking, one of those giant belt-driven compressors taken from a WWII-era Destroyer. With the new compressor I believe the plan is to start providing Nitrox at some point, not sure if that will be premixed or via partial pressure blending though. The cockpit of the 737 they acquired I expect will probably also get sunk this year if it stops raining long enough for the mud to dry up so a crane can get in. The rest of the body segments have been turned into furnished cabins which can be rented overnight.

Again, I have nothing but positive things to say about Scuba Ranch. Since acquiring the site, I have gotten to know the new owners decently well and they are wonderful. They are pretty much always there to hang out with divers (and by that I mean they are always working on site improvements and stop to say hello). Regarding the fill pressure capabilities, with current staff you shouldn't have any problems. They also just tore out the old compressor and will be turning it into a dive attraction. It's pretty neat looking, one of those giant belt-driven compressors taken from a WWII-era Destroyer. With the new compressor I believe the plan is to start providing Nitrox at some point, not sure if that will be premixed or via partial pressure blending though. The cockpit of the 737 they acquired I expect will probably also get sunk this year if it stops raining long enough for the mud to dry up so a crane can get in. The rest of the body segments have been turned into furnished cabins which can be rented overnight.

Thanks for the info. I remember exploring the quarry before it opened. It was supposedly 70 feet; several of us went out there looking for anything deeper than 60 feet. I also remember helping set the first three platforms (the very first one was at 42 feet, but was moved because no one used it since it was below the thermocline), docks, the days without any shade, and the adding of additional platforms, the coffin, the boat, the compressor, the shark and the check-in shack. I have no doubt things have changed quite a bit out there.

If you find a dive site let me know. I live in the DFW area and I have been to the Scuba Park in Terrell. It is one of the worst diving venues I have ever experienced. Horrid visibility, poor water quality and it is run like a prison camp. (Under the old ownership). I know a lot of dive schools use it but if you don't need to go for certification purposes I would avoid it. I am curious about other spots. Right now my nearest great diving venues are a 2 hr plane ride (Cozumel or Grand Cayman).
How does Wheeler Branch compare to Terrell?

How long has it been since you've been to the Ranch? New ownership took it over in 2018 and they've done great things out there! Still currently (unless they've finished it in the last month) installing an aeration system to help with visibility and thermoclines. They've also built some additional pavilions with upper decks on them, etc. If it's been a while since you went out.....definitely go check it out again. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

OP...First off welcome to DFW! Scuba Ranch in Terrell is undoubtedly the closest dive site but not too much further from there is Athens Scuba Park. Not certain whether or not they're open but you could check. Wheeler Branch is another option if it's still open, although I believe it's a state park and as such may be closed/closing shortly. It's located in Glen Rose, which is where Dinosaur Valley State Park and Fossil Rim Wildlife Park are as well. I've personally never dove WB, but I hear it's about what you'd expect from the typical Texas lake with max depths reaching about 85ft. If it's still open, I think it's like $5 to get in but just know there are no dive shops or other facilities nearby to get tank fills so make sure you take plenty. If you do end up making it out there, post up a report of water conditions, etc. and maybe some video, too.

Lastly and most importantly, Stay Safe and make sure you practice good judgement regarding COVID-19. And don't breath on the fish! :wink:

My last dive at SR was in 2016. I recently scheduled a private DM for the PADI Rescue Diver OW dives and they will be at SR. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised!

My last dive at SR was in 2016. I recently scheduled a private DM for the PADI Rescue Diver OW dives and they will be at SR. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised!
I saw on their site that they are now open. Any reports?

I just got certified there over the weekend. It seemed to me like a well run place, but I obviously have very little experience. They've got some reasonable social distancing protocol signs up, but aren't uptight about it at all. The staff I dealt with were all very nice and helpful.
The water was around 73° and vis is about 15ft. No thermocline anymore thanks to the aerators. All in all, I had a great weekend out there and plan on going back a lot.

I just got certified there over the weekend. It seemed to me like a well run place, but I obviously have very little experience. They've got some reasonable social distancing protocol signs up, but aren't uptight about it at all. The staff I dealt with were all very nice and helpful.
The water was around 73° and vis is about 15ft. No thermocline anymore thanks to the aerators. All in all, I had a great weekend out there and plan on going back a lot.
Thanks for the update. Congratulation on getting certified. 15' with all the rain we had last week sound great.

Back
Top Bottom