DA Aquamaster leak behind first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txgoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Caveat, this is really a question for Bryan at VDH, but since he is otherwise disposed and many are here to talk shop because we can't get out into the water, I'll ask anyway.

So I have a new to me DA aqua master. When I apply air to it, it has a leak around the threads of the first stage. The main threads holding the nozzle into the body. I can see on the diagram that there is a gasket/oring under the first reg. I have a phoenix on order. And I assume that the gasket (part no 8210-03) would be a part of that kit, but we all know what assuming does. I wasn't sure if that gasket was considered part of the first or second stage. It already has the HPR in it.

Does anyone know if that gasket is part of the kit? And/or is there a place to source that gasket?

Email to Herman has also been sent regarding tool recommendations.

Thanks,
txgoose

I had the same concern, and my Phoenix came complete (an off-white nylon gasket was included in the box).

I had the same concern, and my Phoenix came complete (an off-white nylon gasket was included in the box).

Perfect! Thank you, sir.

My cyclone came with a nylon gasket.... Look at some of the other threads regarding this, the nylon gaskets can be deformed by over torqueing. I believe @Perryed had that happen.
Respectfully
James

DO NOT over torque the nylon gaskets. Get them snug then a little more but do not crank down on them. They will deform and will be damaged beyond use. The brown phonalic ones are a different matter. You MUST get them on straight or they will crack in 2 but once you do, you need to crank them down fairly hard.
With either type gasket, I recommend you assemble the HP stage with the pin, gasket and pin pad installed, holding it vertical (parts up) , then screw on the reg body on to the assembly while keeping the HP assembly vertical until it is finger tight. There is much less chance of the parts getting out of line if you install them this way.

The Phoenix makes things a little more complicated in that clocking is a concern to bring the ports into a convenient location. Also, the junction is prone to loosening due to the fact that the cans are easily rotated when mounted. I ended up loctiteing the threads between the first stage (Phoenix) and the body.

My cyclone came with a nylon gasket.... Look at some of the other threads regarding this, the nylon gaskets can be deformed by over torqueing. I believe @Perryed had that happen.
Respectfully
James

Yes, it did. I`ve gone with a phenolic one from VDH. Hopefully that will help. Still hoping to check out my DH rig in Bonaire in the last half of July, but we will see.

The Phoenix makes things a little more complicated in that clocking is a concern to bring the ports into a convenient location. Also, the junction is prone to loosening due to the fact that the cans are easily rotated when mounted. I ended up loctiteing the threads between the first stage (Phoenix) and the body.

I think that I am going to have to go the loctite route as well. The phoenix came in today and with what I thought was a minimal amount of torque, I have fried my first nylon gasket. And if I can unthread it by hand, it will never hold with the leverage of an SPG hose attached. Two gaskets left. Fingers crossed.

I think that I am going to have to go the loctite route as well. The phoenix came in today and with what I thought was a minimal amount of torque, I have fried my first nylon gasket. And if I can unthread it by hand, it will never hold with the leverage of an SPG hose attached. Two gaskets left. Fingers crossed.
I'm entertaining the idea of a TPU gasket....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom