Diver Dead in South Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done hundreds of dives from this same marina, although not on this boat or with this captain.

There's a pandemic going on, the captain/boat skirted the rules and certainly violated the spirit of the law, it was unsafe.
There's a panedmic going on, the diver should not have been out with a group of people, it was unsafe.
It is the right and responsibility of all divers to abort any dive that is not safe, without fear of shame or reprisals.

While clearly the punishment waaaay exceeded the crime, and I don't want to blame the victim, there is an inherent responsibility on all of the participants. What would make you think if the captain put the importance on running a trip, over the Corona situation that he was going to be safe once he got out on the water? Safety clearly was not the #1 priority (nor 2nd or 3rd I suppose) on this day, and we see the tragic result.

I can't wait for my next dive on the Narcosis!

Saty safe.
Stay healthy.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Eight pages of off-topic posts have been removed.

Thank you for your interest in this accident. Please stay on topic. If you want to discuss cars and speed limits and the other off-topic subjects broached in this thread previously, please open a new thread in the Pub.

I would carry useful stuff even if it is beyond your level of training. As you can hand it to someone who does have the level of training to use it. A lot of surgeons leave the house with nothing but a wallet.
I was at a horse riding camp. The stuff they were teaching was cross country riding and jumping. One of the students was a friend of mine, an MD. She got shot out of the saddle, had a good impact between her helmeted head and the ground. She lost consciousness momentarily and had a hell of a headache. She had zero medical supplies, not even a bottle of aspirin. My wife and I helped her out. I was amazed at her lack of preparedness.

I hate to ask, but why was a propellor guard not in use?
Many years ago, when I was a volunteer surf life saver, the rescue RIBs had prop guards (for obvious reasons). Possibly they are not appropriate for larger vessels that have to make longer trips.

I must say, I've dived with grouchy skippers who would make you swim a long way then chew you out for your navigations skills, but I can't remember being on a dive boat where the skipper backs towards divers in the water to save them a short swim.

Just a friendly reminder that it appears two people sadly died. Anything written here is certainly subject to discovery and will likely end up in court.

RIP two the two individuals who appear to have died as a result of these accidents.

Just a friendly reminder that it appears two people sadly died. Anything written here is certainly subject to discovery and will likely end up in court.

RIP two the two individuals who appear to have died as a result of these accidents.

One died in the incident being discussed. The title of the forum link I posted referred to a second, unrelated incident later the same day where a boater ran into a dock on the Loxahatchee River.

Also worth noting that when stories discussed in A&I end up in Undercurrent, there are frequently verbatim quotes pulled from the boards in there.

@Capt Jim Wyatt @Wookie
Im assuming to run a charter vessel you need a licence? is there an overseeing body that determines what manoeuvres are safe or not? (work safe ) is reversing towards people in the water with props rotating an acceptable SOP ?

@Capt Jim Wyatt @Wookie
Im assuming to run a charter vessel you need a licence? is there an overseeing body that determines what manoeuvres are safe or not? (work safe ) is reversing towards people in the water with props rotating an acceptable SOP ?
there is no oversight body that decides what is or isnt a safe way to pick up people in the water

@Capt Jim Wyatt @Wookie
Not for recreational diving, you must have caged props for surface supplied diving.

Back
Top Bottom