Will COZ close it’s borders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious to know if those kids picked it up in Cabo, on the flights, or if somebody got it in Texas and infected the rest of the group on the trip. I was in Cabo March 14-21 (potentially at the same time) and at the time I left had heard of only one confirmed case in Baja California del Sur. That's not to say it wasn't brewing there under the radar, but when it was looking like I might get stuck in Cabo it seemed safer than the US at the time (especially since I was originally supposed to fly back through O'Hare, where shortly beforehand immigration had been packed full of travelers coming back from Europe, and I wound up going through Newark right about when the NYC area started going to hell).

That said, when I got home I shut the door and aside from one grocery run have been self-quarantined since the 22nd.

Maybe you should do some reading on the subject before you make wild assumptions? Especially since you live in Austin?
Well, there's this:
More than 40 spring breakers who ignored public health advice test positive for coronavirus
(CNN) — Dozens of spring breakers from Texas boarded a plane for fun and came home with coronavirus.
About 70 people in their 20s chartered a plane from Austin, Texas, to Mexico for spring break two weeks ago. They went against the advice of White House officials who asked that people avoid gathering in groups of more than 10 and nonessential air travel.
Now 44 of those people have tested positive for coronavirus -- all of them University of Texas at Austin students, a university spokesman told CNN on Wednesday.
An elected official had a blunt message for the spring breakers.
"Quit being an a**," Texas House Speaker Dennis Bonnen told CNN affiliate KXAN. "Get over yourselves. Whether you think this is an issue or not, it is. Whether you think it could affect you or not, it does. The reality of it is, if I'm a college kid who's going to spring break in Mexico, you're affecting a lot of people. Grow up."
What's also alarming is that some of the passengers who went on the trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, took commercial flights home, the Austin Public Health Department said.

As of two days ago, the number of them testing positive is up to 49. Rich, spoiled, and stupid still seems to fit.

Well, there's this:
More than 40 spring breakers who ignored public health advice test positive for coronavirus
(CNN) — Dozens of spring breakers from Texas boarded a plane for fun and came home with coronavirus.
About 70 people in their 20s chartered a plane from Austin, Texas, to Mexico for spring break two weeks ago. They went against the advice of White House officials who asked that people avoid gathering in groups of more than 10 and nonessential air travel.
Now 44 of those people have tested positive for coronavirus -- all of them University of Texas at Austin students, a university spokesman told CNN on Wednesday.
An elected official had a blunt message for the spring breakers.
"Quit being an a**," Texas House Speaker Dennis Bonnen told CNN affiliate KXAN. "Get over yourselves. Whether you think this is an issue or not, it is. Whether you think it could affect you or not, it does. The reality of it is, if I'm a college kid who's going to spring break in Mexico, you're affecting a lot of people. Grow up."
What's also alarming is that some of the passengers who went on the trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, took commercial flights home, the Austin Public Health Department said.

As of two days ago, the number of them testing positive is up to 49. Rich, spoiled, and stupid still seems to fit.
And?

I was responding to your quote, which I had bolded:

Since they couldn't bear to miss their Spring Break trip to Cabo (spoiled) and they couldn't book flights there because of the travel restrictions, they chartered a plane to take them there (rich) and returned by commercial air.

Read what you posted. Read the link I posted. Their flight was booked prior to the travel restrictions. With a college travel company. Who assured them that they didn't have anything to worry about and when some expressed concerns about the trip, they were told they would not get refunds if they canceled.

This wasn't "spoiled, stupid, rich kids" using their wealth to circumvent travel restrictions.

And honestly, this constant harping on "spoiled, stupid, rich kids" sounds like some personal issue you have.

And?

I was responding to your quote, which I had bolded:

Read what you posted. Read the link I posted. Their flight was booked prior to the travel restrictions. With a college travel company. Who assured them that they didn't have anything to worry about and when some expressed concerns about the trip, they were told they would not get refunds if they canceled.

This wasn't "spoiled, stupid, rich kids" using their wealth to circumvent travel restrictions.

And honestly, this constant harping on "spoiled, stupid, rich kids" sounds like some personal issue you have.
I stand by what I said, but no, I have no personal connection to the case, other than that they contributed to the spread of the disease here. There was lots of "nothing to worry about" misinformation around, but I, for one, didn't believe it. There were also a lot of warnings before they went, which they ignored. The first cases were already showing up on the UT campus.

I have my opinion; you have yours. We disagree.

I stand by what I said, but no, I have no personal connection to the case, other than that they contributed to the spread of the disease here. There was lots of "nothing to worry about" misinformation around, but I, for one, didn't believe it. There were also a lot of warnings before they went, which they ignored. The first cases were already showing up on the UT campus.

I have my opinion; you have yours. We disagree.
What you "said" was factually incorrect.

Saying some kids are rich, spoiled and stupid is opinion. Saying that they couldn't book flights due to travel restrictions, then intentionally circumvented those travel restrictions by chartering a private plane is not "opinion".

If you want to argue that the statements by Austin Public Health were wrong, have at it. I'm out.

Saying some kids are rich, spoiled and stupid is opinion. Saying that they couldn't book flights due to travel restrictions, then intentionally circumvented those travel restrictions by chartering a private plane is not "opinion".

If you want to argue that the statements by Austin Public Health were wrong, have at it. I'm out.
Yes, I was mistaken about why they booked the charter instead of flying commercial, though I don't see how it makes that much of a difference. The warnings were out there before they went and they ignored them; they chose to travel to another country during a global pandemic. The pandemic was declared on March 11 and they flew on March 14.

Many students showed good sense and canceled their plans even though the charter company insisted that it was safe to go: Travel firm assured safe Cabo trip that ended with 44 coronavirus cases, UT students say

Curious to know if those kids picked it up in Cabo, on the flights, or if somebody got it in Texas and infected the rest of the group on the trip. I was in Cabo March 14-21 (potentially at the same time) and at the time I left had heard of only one confirmed case in Baja California del Sur.

How long were they out there for? We are still learning a lot about it but current data suggests you can have it and not show symptoms for up to 14 days and still be contagious during that time before you develop any. It’s difficult to say, if so...

Saying some kids are rich, spoiled and stupid is opinion.

Actually, that is a factual statement, some kids are rich,spoiled and stupid (in fact, for 2-out-of-3 of those, I submit that it applies to the majority of kids,LOL!)
Just like some kids are short, chubby,and agreeable, that's not opinion or criticism, some of them provably are.
FWIW, I agree with most of the rest of your argument. :D

How long were they out there for? We are still learning a lot about it but current data suggests you can have it and not show symptoms for up to 14 days and still be contagious during that time before you develop any. It’s difficult to say, if so...

Difficult to say; the report posted was published March 31 and says they took the chartered flight down "roughly 10 days ago." However, UT-Austin's spring break was scheduled for March 16-20; it was extended into the following week but that was explicitly because of COVID-19 concerns. That leads me to believe they were down there at the same time I was. For the record, I was doing a weeklong Cabo Shark Dive expedition; it was just six of us staying together at a villa and then spending the whole day on a boat with four crew. At the time we flew down we were taking it pretty casually, but folks started hopping early flights out on the 18th and by the last boat day on the 20th it was just me and one other American (and of course, that was our best day).

Cabo was fairly deserted; for gits and shiggles one night we went out to Squid Roe, which is the kind of MTV Spring Break trap I would avoid like the plague (no pun intended). There were just one or two other occupied tables there. Earlier in the afternoon we had seen a group of maybe 10 college-age kids staggering around the marina sauced to the gills; one stumbled up to a crewman carrying a tub of stone-dead leftover bonita, asked him if the fish was alive, and got a heated lecture about social distancing.

Back
Top Bottom