http://www.diveheart.org/

Looking for Survey participants on Diver Travel Behavior for master thesis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nik,

There is one reef protection measure that, if effectively implemented, would motivate me to pay more to dive a particular site.

Create an artificial dive skills obstacle course well away from the reef. Design it so that divers must demonstrate buoyancy control and fin skills in order to navigate it without touching it or kicking up silt.

Reserve certain dive sites only for divers who demonstrate proficiency on the obstacle course. Relegate the herds of unskilled, unaware divers to less sensitive areas.

I would pay to dive places where all the divers are capable of diving responsibly.

Best wishes,

Nik,

There is one reef protection measure that, if effectively implemented, would motivate me to pay more to dive a particular site.

Create an artificial dive skills obstacle course well away from the reef. Design it so that divers must demonstrate buoyancy control and fin skills in order to navigate it without touching it or kicking up silt.

Reserve certain dive sites only for divers who demonstrate proficiency on the obstacle course. Relegate the herds of unskilled, unaware divers to less sensitive areas.

I would pay to dive places where all the divers are capable of diving responsibly.

Best wishes,

You have a great idea, (and I am going to start a flame war).

However and I admit this is my completely misguided and optimistic self speaking, the cert level should have done this, everyone that passed the AOW should have had to prove (and any op that fails validating should be fined/or have their licencing ability revoked) that then not only understand the material but that they are proficient divers, but that is not how it works sadly, they have to show basic skills and are expected to improve (but many simply don't) but then in fairness it's hard on some group dives where you have to follow a heard at breath neck speeds as they zoom around looking at anything and everything the dive guide shows.

Ok, rant over, but back to your idea, I have been fortunate enough to have dove with a few great ops that actually check out their customers and polity decline to take divers on dives they are not qualified for, not just skills but attitude too.

then in fairness it's hard on some group dives where you have to follow a heard at breath neck speeds as they zoom around looking at anything and everything the dive guide shows.
When I’m in a group and they motor off, I’ll hang back and enjoy the dive. The operator soon gets the message that when I say I want to see the the small life I mean it.

When I’m in a group and they motor off, I’ll hang back and enjoy the dive. The operator soon gets the message that when I say I want to see the the small life I mean it.

I have tried that with mixed success, sometimes they adjust other times have gotten lectures, but the truth is I understand they have to cater to their clients many who would rather catch a glimpse of a shark off in the distance than spend time admiring a mantis shrimp or mating nudi's, yes turtles are beautiful but ....

Nik,

There's something like this in a lake about an hour or two away from me. Visitors and locals sink obstacles, sculptures, old boats, and create different points of interest on the lakebed. The entire place is silty mud and there's a mild current from the river. It's a really fun, enjoyable place to dive that my instructor took us to to practice reels, observe our base buoyancy and navigation skills, and how we reacted to little tests like "now swim through this pipe to the other side" or "measure this boat from two directions." It also creates a complex bottom for critters in an otherwise featureless lake which is nice.

Also, done.

If your professor really rejected all other forms of the survey including follow-up and more nuanced questions and only accepted this form, I wish I could have words with them.

So what is the point of this survey?
Just to please some "professor" in order to validate a few credits?
Are you studying to get a piece of paper or to learn something?
Sorry to be harsh but I suppose you are young and can take a few punches :)

No worries, I can take it :wink:.
I have a given scope in which I have to complete my survey and just limited time. I agree, there can always be done more. But in my context, this is what is possible for me.
And to be clear, my point is not necessarily that eco resorts are better. My interest is soley the experience with coral bleaching and how it affects your travel behavior. Unfortunatly a lot of diver "need to see a place, before it's gone" and don't realize they are part of the problem. Overall the Dive industry seems to be very sustainable (if you take into account, that a lot of people love the environment and want to protect it) BUT if you take a plane 5 times a year to get half around the globe for a few days of diving, you play a part in CO2 emissions which will kill the coral in the end.
There are enough studies on the environmental aspects of diving, I am looking at the touristic approach and the travel behavior.

Back
Top Bottom