Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... Normally, because of leaking, I clear my mask numerous times during a dive. It seems like it is generally after clearing it a few times that I start getting fogging.

That's pretty much why I gave up and joined the Sea Drops herd: that stuff tends to stay on longer than any diluted-baby-dish-poo recipes. If mask leaks, if comes off when I jump off the boat, etc., etc., it'll usually last me till the end of the dive anyway.

As someone with an oddly shaped head, I don't understand this "mask doesn't leak" concept you all keep talking about.

It took me a very long time to realize that when I look up I raise my eyebrows and furrow my brow and then my mask leaks.

Also, if my hair gets caught in my mask skirt, it leaks.

If neither of the above occur, no leaks.

I went diving yesterday. :D
Perfect!

Nothing beats 'This just in, live from the field'. I've been busy too. I finally became overwhelmed by today's glass technology flood of super-technical information, nano this and that, on and on... So I started taking a trip back in time by looking at older and older review articles. I stopped the WABAC machine at this:

https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.ms.02.080172.002525
http://web.usm.my/jps/26-2-15/26-2-2.pdf

More and more pieces are falling into place! Almost done highlighting the first review article, the second research article fills in any blanks.

I'm pretty sure that we will end up with an explanation (and treatment) that is consistent with ALL of our IRL observations.

Stay tuned!

@lowviz Just looking at the summaries of those two articles, it looks like you have some excellent material there to get to the bottom of this for us all. I cannot wait for your conclusion(s)!

I did some searching to try and read up on hydroxylation. It was all too technical for me - or not germaine.

The ammonia soak is for 2 purposes, right? It cleans the glass and it hydroxylates the glass, right?

My question is, once the glass is hydroxylated, is that permanent? Or will it eventually degrade/wear off somehow?

I realize this may have been covered already in the last 42.6 pages. I'm hoping somebody won't mind giving me a 5 words or less summary of the answer to my question. :)

Kinda got into this late but I have read all 43 pages and I find this all very interesting! Good work to all that have been participating and I can't wait to hear the final results.

I know it's kind of late at this point to be asking but I have to anyway... has anyone tried plain old car wax or rain-x?
I saw someone mention rain-x in a much earlier post in this thread but didn't really get a feel for whether it was useful or not.
I use car wax on the outside of the windshield of my car and it really helps the water to bead off of it but from what I have been reading, it doesn't appear that beading is what we want. That lead me to think more about rain-x. Seems it provides more of the sheeting action we are looking for.

Kinda got into this late but I have read all 43 pages and I find this all very interesting! Good work to all that have been participating and I can't wait to hear the final results.

I know it's kind of late at this point to be asking but I have to anyway... has anyone tried plain old car wax or rain-x?
I saw someone mention rain-x in a much earlier post in this thread but didn't really get a feel for whether it was useful or not.
I use car wax on the outside of the windshield of my car and it really helps the water to bead off of it but from what I have been reading, it doesn't appear that beading is what we want. That lead me to think more about rain-x. Seems it provides more of the sheeting action we are looking for.

Rain-X is quite toxic. You want to test and let us know? I thought not.

Pretty sure I (don’t) want to smell carnuba wax for an hour or more during a dive either. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom