Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Teric owners, have you required repair or replacemant service?

• No

Votes: 82 45.6%
  • Yes, repair

Votes: 34 18.9%
  • Yes, replacement

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • Yes, multiple repair and/or replacement

Votes: 38 21.1%
  • Other, see post

Votes: 10 5.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't own a Teric, but I have several dive buddies that do, and none have had trouble. I think a thread like this will skew the numbers, because more divers that have had problems will vote than the ones who haven't. Makes it look like there are a lot of problems with the Teric.
See post #15

I chose "Other" because I am sending in a Teric, but not because I "require" repair or replacement, as the poll asks.

I'm sending it in because the battery doesn't hold a charge when stored, like it should. But, it does hold the charge for numerous days. It's completely usable for a dive trip. If I didn't have a second Teric to compare it to (by charging them both and then comparing the charge level after they sit for a few days) I would not even be sure there was a problem. I would most likely carry on using it and think the way it works is "normal".
For those of us that have just one Teric, what specifically should we be looking for to give us an indication for defects and if we need to send it to SW for service or replacement?

For those of us that have just one Teric, what specifically should we be looking for to give us an indication for defects and if we need to send it to SW for service or replacement?
My defects were black screen and then loss of AI, not very subtle. My current Teric seems good on battery use, less that 0.5% per day on idle. I'm not sure what kind of battery consumption would raise alarms, others can tell you.

@GameChanger What you're looking for is "excessive battery drain" when stored. What that is, however, I cannot quantify for you right now. I think there are numerous posts talking about that, though.

The manual says to store a Teric with a full charge and then top it up every 6 months. But then in the specs it says battery life is 50 hours in Dive mode and 3 months in Standby.

So, I'm not sure. But, if I stored mine for 1 month and checked it and it was less than 50% charge remaining, I would start to suspect it may have a problem.

In other news, I am actually wondering now, if my 2nd Teric also has an issue. I did 2 dives yesterday (using 1 AI transmitter). Total dive time was just under 2.5 hours. I started at 100% charge and ended with 86%. If I've done the math correctly, that forecasts 18 hours of total dive time on a charge. The manual says it should get 50 hours of dive time. Now, mine was on Brightness of High, and using AI. But, 18 hours still seems very, very short.

After I get the dives downloaded from it, I'm going to charge it up and store it for a week or 2....

@GameChanger What you're looking for is "excessive battery drain" when stored. What that is, however, I cannot quantify for you right now. I think there are numerous posts talking about that, though.

The manual says to store a Teric with a full charge and then top it up every 6 months. But then in the specs it says battery life is 50 hours in Dive mode and 3 months in Standby.

So, I'm not sure. But, if I stored mine for 1 month and checked it and it was less than 50% charge remaining, I would start to suspect it may have a problem.

In other news, I am actually wondering now, if my 2nd Teric also has an issue. I did 2 dives yesterday (using 1 AI transmitter). Total dive time was just under 2.5 hours. I started at 100% charge and ended with 86%. If I've done the math correctly, that forecasts 18 hours of total dive time on a charge. The manual says it should get 50 hours of dive time. Now, mine was on Brightness of High, and using AI. But, 18 hours still seems very, very short.

After I get the dives downloaded from it, I'm going to charge it up and store it for a week or 2....
My back-and-forth with Shearwater about my Teric battery seemed to hinge on whether I was getting more than 2% per day loss, when off...not being used, no display except briefly to check it every day or two. After repair (new battery) it has been at 100% when off for maybe two weeks. I'm frankly losing track of time; what day is this? What week? Is it still 2020?

My back-and-forth with Shearwater about my Teric battery seemed to hinge on whether I was getting more than 2% per day loss, when off...not being used, no display except briefly to check it every day or two. After repair (new battery) it has been at 100% when off for maybe two weeks. I'm frankly losing track of time; what day is this? What week? Is it still 2020?

That seems to be in line with what I was thinking. 2% per day would mean 60% lost after 1 month.

I am looking forward to hearing what your new battery is showing after it has been stored for 1 month.

In other news, I am actually wondering now, if my 2nd Teric also has an issue. I did 2 dives yesterday (using 1 AI transmitter). Total dive time was just under 2.5 hours. I started at 100% charge and ended with 86%. If I've done the math correctly, that forecasts 18 hours of total dive time on a charge. The manual says it should get 50 hours of dive time. Now, mine was on Brightness of High, and using AI. But, 18 hours still seems very, very short

My teric was similar to yours. With using it as a watch on medium brightness in between two dives, mine would be at about 82%. I was instructed to send it in for a battery change. After receiving it back it would hold 100% while off for 3-4 days. Prior, it lost 20% while off for 4 days.

I had a lug screw fall out. Thankfully the Teric didn’t fall off off my wrist.

My LDS had a stock of replacement lug screws. They said mine was their first case this year, and that they had 3 cases last year.

I changed my vote in the poll. It is now "required repair".

I sent my first Teric off and got it back a week later with all new guts. It was not holding its charge when stored.

Now, I am sending my other Teric off for the same repair. :(

I dived with the "fixed" Teric on Saturday. On Sunday, I charged it back up to 100%. Then I put my other Teric on the charger and charged it up to 100%. It has now been 2 days. I just checked them both. The "fixed" one is still showing 100%. The other one is already down to 90%.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom