Sakonnet Point RI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

McDonalds employees ratting out a MA license plate car parked near their “restaurant”. The sign of our times. SMH...

Well, they were transferring golf clubs from a RI car. People are scared, in my town where this happened we have zero cases, we'd like to keep it that way. It's just a fine anyway. Although our goobner does bear a striking resemblance to the Wicked Witch of the West so who knows what she has in store for out of staters?!
images3JRJEBRX.jpg
imagesDWANBPAO.jpg

Well, they were transferring golf clubs from a RI car. People are scared, in my town where this happened we have zero cases, we'd like to keep it that way.

Well, the first thing would be to close the MCDonalds. It’s far from being essential business. Keeping places like these and golf courses open but limiting the use to local residents, while outlawing everybody else is a messed up way of handling it, imho. Sure as heck won’t be spending much in RI any time soon, and will spread awareness...

Well, the first thing would be to close the MCDonalds. It’s far from being essential business. Keeping places like these and golf courses open but limiting the use to local residents, while outlawing everybody else is a messed up way of handling it, imho. Sure as heck won’t be spending much in RI any time soon, and will spread awareness...

We are under state and national emergencies things have changed. We are all suppose to home. Someone is even advocating for a 14 day national stay at home order with cops arresting people that are just out in their yards!!!

We are under state and national emergencies things have changed. We are all suppose to home. Someone is even advocating for a 14 day national stay at home order with cops arresting people that are just out in their yards!!!

This seems to be over the top. But if something like this is implemented, as a law abiding citizen, I will comply. This situation is different. imposing arbitrary restrictions against out of state visitors, while keeping fast food chains open? Questionable. Maybe if either state was in lockdown, I’d understand, but I don’t believe RI is and MA definitely isn’t. I may be cranky from 3 weeks of sharing time between working from home and running in the woods, but this situation seems wrong.

McDonald's being a place to get food is considered essential (whether or not its actually food is a whole different topic).

My question is why are golf courses still open. There is no way that's essential.

We Rhode Islanders eat too yaknow. The dinning area is closed drive thru only. What's the problem?

I don't like the idea of ratting each other out either, I don't think I'd do it but there maybe some scenario I'm unaware that I would. Some people are really scared and taking this very seriously so out of state people can expect to be questioned in RI for now anyway.

There are secondary roads and backroads that cross state lines that are unmanned. I could easily go to MA and not see any LEOs at the line and go back to RI the same way. Right now however I'm staying in state. I live in the woods on a river we have trails to walk and I can paddle my yak for hours. I can even go down river and cross the line into CT because the middle of the river is the state line. Who's there to see me? Sucks that all my family is in MA.

McDonald's being a place to get food is considered essential (whether or not its actually food is a whole different topic).

My question is why are golf courses still open. There is no way that's essential.

Why is the dog park closed but not the golf course? My guess the owner is well connected. This is RI a state of corruption after all.

I visited Sakonnet Point this past Wednesday to check it out for a future dive. There were no boats moored yet and the viz looked to be 20'+ from above. The parking lot across the street is reserved for vehicles with trailers but there appears to be enough parking at the "beach" area (between the green lines shown in post 1, photo 3 below) for 3 vehicles. It appears that most of the dive area is sand?

A bigger shame is that there is no easy way to get on the other side of the breakwater without a significant swim, scooter or boat. There's much bigger boulders and open areas on the ocean side of the wall. Regardless, I plan on checking out this site sometime in the next few weeks when the weather cooperates.

SakPtSign040820.jpg
SakPtRamp040820.jpg
SakPtBeach040820.jpg

There's parking for cars without trailers also, you didn't look hard enough. I'm also waiting for the right day, 20 ft vis is not unusual there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom