Gauge Lens for Macro Photographers - Old divers only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

View attachment 578673
I use two sets of Trident glass gauge readers. The bottom pair are +2 diopter and the top pair are +1. Looks funny, but works great. The top two come to eye level at correct IPD.

Great idea, scrane! I just bought some trident inserts, but haven't installed yet. What glue did you use?...and how many dives so far?...

I throw the Trident glue away and use UV cure optical cement. The setup you see is only 6 months old, but I had Trident lenses in my previous Atomic Frameless for over four years. Once the glue is cured it's there forever.
I normally use +2.75 for reading and +1.25 sitting back at the computer. Underwater with +1 I have clear vision down to about 12". I can now see the pygmy seahorse, but it is still tiny.
One thing I like about my current setup is intermediate distances up to 15' are sharp, while I can make the most of the wide field of the Frameless looking over the Tridents. The view is easy and natural.

I have been using ECO Fused LOCA glue that no longer seems to be available. I would think any of the newer LOCA glues for cell phone screen repair would work. Setting the mask in direct sunlight for a day is enough to cure the adhesive.
When I put mine together I initially used the Trident glue to temporarily judge lens placement.

Trident has the Aqua-Optics glass lenses and they also have the self stick Dive-Optics and they also make a little glass magnifier lens. The glass lenses can be adhered with crystal clear aquarium grade silicone adhesive. It takes a blob of adhesive the size of a BB. Just press the lens down until the silicone and any bubbles squeezes out and then let it set overnight. Then you can trim the excess adhesive with a single edge razor blade. And when you realize the lenses suck, you can remove them and the adhesive with the very same razor blade!

James

I have been using ECO Fused LOCA glue that no longer seems to be available. I would think any of the newer LOCA glues for cell phone screen repair would work. Setting the mask in direct sunlight for a day is enough to cure the adhesive.
When I put mine together I initially used the Trident glue to temporarily judge lens placement.

thanks for the info!

And when you realize the lenses suck, you can remove them and the adhesive with the very same razor blade!

I have plenty of razor blades. Sounds like you’re not a fan of the Tridents. Would be interested to hear how your custom job works out...

Hi I wondered about contact lenses. A -1.5 would help enormously. Do you wear both eyes or just one?

I wear a +3.0 progressive contact lens in each eye. At the end of the day I need to take them out and out my glasses in to work on my photos and to read since my glasses are a stronger prescription now!

Hi all blind divers. I have made my call and went to the optometrist and I've got a single contact lens for my weaker left eye with astigmatism. Tried it out for a day and went very well bugger to put in and take out as it has markings to suit my eye. The guy assured me that it will not come out in my mask and considering how hard it was to take out I think he may be right.
All I need now is for the WuFlu to bugger off and I can get back into some warm water - Bali hopefully, barrier reef too cold for me in winter.
Regards to all and will report back once I have tried them out under the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom