Buggers, can't sleep..... OW Cert tomorrow!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasonH20

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, I do my OW cert dives tomorrow starting at 8am at Alki. Sound's like tomorrow will be mostly skills and not much "fun" time, thought at this point just being bottom side for any reason should be exciting! Sunday we will be diving at Edmunds, which I'm told will be mostly all free time to explore.

Only thing I'm concerned about is the dry suit. It didn't give me any problems in the pool other than I got absolutely soaked. I'm hoping things go better tomorrow morning, or it's going to be a cold 3 dives. I think the water got in when I first jumped into the pool. I didn't remember to squeeze the excess air out and popped to the surface like a dough boy (I didn't have any equipment on when I jumped). Took a bit of effort to get my feet down and the air vented out, and I think some air might have burped from the neck seal. Then that water sloushed around inside my suit, as I did all the drills, completely soaking my clothes.

Funny thing was, I go to the pool sessions wearing my swim trunks under sweat pants, and just a t-shirt. I didn't bring a coat or sweatshirt along with me (I know, I know, sorry mom!). So normally I take off the sweat pants and t-shirt and dive with just my swim trunks on, but last night they suggested leaving my clothes on otherwise the dry suit would be uncomfortable. I said something along the lines, "you sure I won't get my clothes wet", to which they responded, "you might get a little wet, but too bad." So anyways, with all my clothes wet, I had to drive home with nothing but my swim trunks on. :eye-popin Brrrr

Good news on the equipment front. My step dad use to dive many years ago. A few years ago he gave all his stuff to his son, but it turns out he never uses it. So on Christmas when we all get together, his son is going to bring it back and let me have it. He doesn't remember the exact model numbers and such, but he said most of the equipment was Scuba Pro, and the dry suit is DUI. Hopefully all of it is still usable after being serviced, and will let me dive a bit without having to rent or buy all new stuff. So I still haven't bought anything, though I'm really itching too!

I really am looking forward to being certified. I just hope the whole wife / diving thing can be balanced out! I'm thinking the next specialty I'll go for is night diving. The weekends seem to always be so busy, so my best chance to dive on a regular basis will be in the evenings after work. At least for 1/2 the year, that'll mean diving in the dark. Plus that'll give me an excuse to buy something because I'll HAVE to buy a light or two. <A href="http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/More%20Smiles/icosm14.gif" target=_blank>:) Actually what's the recomended number of dives to have under your belt before tackling night diving? Or maybe I should say, how many dives until most divers get their skills down well enough to night dive? Hopefully I can get plenty of dives in on the weekends until then.

Ok, well that killed 20 minutes. Yawnn, I guess I'll go try sleeping again.

Thanks for listening! :sleeping_
Jason

Good Luck Jason, I'm sure you will do great. DUI and scubapro is good gear, so I wouldn't worry too much about the gear and just get down the nitty gritty. Hope you got some sleep, report back to us after your exciting day.

Matt

Jason I've really enjoyed reading your posts ... and am looking forward to diving with you once you've completed your class.

Just relax and focus on your skills today ... and remember that priority number 1 is to have fun. You'll love Edmonds tomorrow ... wait'll you see the size of some of the "residents" ... :eyebrow:

If you want, after you get your gear I can help make sure everything is properly adjusted and fitted for you. Diving in gear that fits properly greatly enhances the experience.

And let's go diving !!! I'm looking forward to meeting you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Jason,
Well, it's about 8am right now, which means that you're looking down at the waters of cove 2 right now, anticipating your first dive. How very cool!! I remember looking out at the waters of Will Rogers State Beach over 30 years ago. Although times have changes, that anticipation of the first OW dive hasn't. You are going to love it! Thanks for helping me remember.
Make sure you tell us all about it. Hope I can dive with you some day.
Rick

Jason,
I echo Bob's sentiments. It's been great reading your posts. Once you get your gear checked out then give me a call. The three of us can go out together. Night diving really isn't a big deal. I've got a back up light that I can loan you. We'll stay shallow until you feel comfortable. Cove two has got some of the best diving in the 45' or shallower range. The nice thing about night diving this time of year is that you do it right after work. Splash by 5:30 and you are home by 7:00 ish.

Hope you had fun today.

Woo Hoo, made it!

Actually we were suppose to dive at Graduation Point. One of the other students got lost and was late. Finally got everyone all suited up and ready to go around 9:30 when the instructor swims out to tie off his dive buoy and says theres waaaay to much current. :( So we pack up and ended up doing our dives at cove 1.

First "dive" was actually just snorkling. Swam out to the buoy and the instructor held us under water as we did the various mask clearing exercises. I think my lips turned blue from the cold, but other than that it was uneventfull. Swimming back got to practice the different buddy tow ins. I stayed completely dry, so I was feeling more optomistic about the dry suit.

Second dive was down the buoy to about 20 ft. We were all kneeling in a semi circle around the instructor doing reg clearing, octo clearing, mask clearing, etc.. But as soon as we had started to descend I felt a squirt of water start to come in my right wrist. Uh oh. So for the rest of the dive I felt the water work it's way up my arm and down my right side and finally into my right leg and foot. My right side ended up completly soaked, while my left side managed to stay dry through the whole thing. Actually it wasn't as cold as I thought it might be. I mean I was a bit chilly, but it didn't bother me enough to distract from the exercises or from enjoying the dive.

I had brought a backup undergarment, so I changed out clothing between dives, got a big hot coco, and was ready for dive three. For this dive the instructor resorted to taping my wrists with electrical tape. Unfortunately I was met with the same fate. I stayed dry for a few minutes, but sure enough eventually the water started getting in my right wrist. So anyways I did a CESA, and a couple OOA, and then we got to explore around for about 15 minutes. Got to play with a couple huge star fish, picked on a few crabs, checked out some anemones. Made it ALL the way down to 30ft :) though its odd to look up and you can't see the surface. And before you know it was time to head back in. :(

So overall a good day. Other than getting wet, the drysuit didn't give me any problems. It seems much easier to use with the actual undergarment rather than a t-shirt. Non of the drills in ice water bothered me, and the sometimes very poor visibility (my biggest concern going in) didn't bother me at all either. Trying to remove the tape from my wrists the right wrist seal tore! Probably a good thing because I got a different dry suite from the dive shop now. It's a bit bigger, but I'm hoping the seals work better. Maybe my tendons just stick out too much, and I'll have to use dry gloves?

So thanks for your encouragement! I'm looking forward to tomorrow and will let you know how it goes! Watch out in January because I'll be hitting you all up for those offers to take me diving! :wink:

JasonH20:
Woo Hoo, made it!....

I'm looking forward to tomorrow and will let you know how it goes! Watch out in January because I'll be hitting you all up for those offers to take me diving! :wink:[/size][/font][/font][/color]
Nice report! Looking forward to reading tomorrow's.

See attached pic :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom