Kubi Glove Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fireman1396

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Question about Kubi Gloves.

looking to see if anyone has insight into the different kubi gloves offered.

the descriptions on the website don’t really offer much help.

I have a pair of standard gloves right now, but am looking at ordering some replacements, so my questions are.
The cream colored “combi” gloves. What are they a “combi” of. Are they thicker than the standards?
The 2.4 “thick” gloves. Are they thicker than the “heavyweight” textured gloves?

to give an idea of the type of diving that will be done. One set would be something more robust for public safety diving, and the other would probably be closer to the standard set for instructing. Any help would be appreciated

I use the Kubi glove system and have for a few years. The gloves I've used have been the ones that come with the set (standard), which are essentially Marigold G17K rubber gloves, and the "heavyweight" thick gloves that Kubi sells on their site. I have both the red version and the black version of the heavyweight gloves. All I can say is that the Marigolds are thinner and allow way more dexterity than the heavyweight gloves, but the heavyweight gloves come in a larger size, so I needed them to use my Santi heated gloves underneath. I don't know what the 2.4 "thick" gloves are like, but they're probably somewhere in between the basic Marigold gloves and the heavyweight ones. I know they recommend thicker/tighter o-rings for the heavyweight gloves.

I prefer the Marigolds for most of my diving, and they seem robust enough for lake diving with rocks and other items that could tear regular gloves (and they're super cheap to replace), but when I dove in Antarctica and needed the heated gloves, I used the heavyweight Kubis for that. They're a bit stiff because of their thickness, but once underwater and compressed a bit, the dexterity with them is fine for me.

I love my Kubis and they've worked really well for me.

The synopsis of thread linked to above concerning glove type is there is a general preference for the following 2 models:

1. SHOWA 720
2. SHOWA 3416

Neither one comes with a glove liner (underglove), the prevailing recommendation for that are Burton Powerstretch glove liners, Dakine Storm glove liners, Fourth Element Xerotherm glove liners, or similar micro-fleece type gloves.

While there is glove info interspersed throughout that 108 page thread, I would focus on pages 104-108 for the latest discussion pertaining to glove models.

Also:
SHOWA does not sell direct to the lay public but they will send samples upon request so that one can figure out the correct model and size for application and fit. Samples pairs of SHOWA gloves can be obtained by calling their 800 number and requesting the models and sizes you want.

Once you know the model and size you would want, when you need another pair, ebay is a good source for individual pairs of gloves.

Hope that helps.

-Z

The synopsis of thread linked to above concerning glove type is there is a general preference for the following 2 models:

1. SHOWA 720
2. SHOWA 3416

Neither one comes with a glove liner (underglove), the prevailing recommendation for that are Burton Powerstretch glove liners, Dakine Storm glove liners, Fourth Element Xerotherm glove liners, or similar micro-fleece type gloves.

While there is glove info interspersed throughout that 108 page thread, I would focus on pages 104-108 for the latest discussion pertaining to glove models.

Also:
SHOWA does not sell direct to the lay public but they will send samples upon request so that one can figure out the correct model and size for application and fit. Samples pairs of SHOWA gloves can be obtained by calling their 800 number and requesting the models and sizes you want.

Once you know the model and size you would want, when you need another pair, ebay is a good source for individual pairs of gloves.

Hope that helps.

-Z
I just mounted 3415’s on my Ultima rings, took 3 days and my hands are just now recovering, if I tried putting the 3416’s on my wife would likely be posting all of my stuff for a post suicide or commitment sale.

Have a look at this thread. There is an overview of gloves somewhere at the last posts. Some good work from
Deep South Divers.

+1 for the thread, more info than you'll ever probably read. @Zef gave the 2 gloves that everyone has concluded to. Most agree 720's are the bees knees for rec diving.

Good luck, and stay safe

These are the exact gloves that came with my Kubi rings. Ansell G17K.

Ansell G17K Black Heavyweight, size 9-1/2 87-118 | Zoro.com

$3.49 per pair.

The pair that came with my Kubi rings lasted me about a year before I finally got a small hole in one of them. I have bought several pairs of replacements from Zoro since then, though I think I've only had to replace one more pair since that first pair got a hole in one.

These gloves are not super thick - which I like. If I am diving somewhere where I'm worried that they might not be tough enough, I will put on a pair of protective gloves over them, rather than have to have really thick gloves on ALL the time.

The protective gloves I use are like these, same brand, except the ones I have are all black and not billed as working on touch screens.

Touchscreen Hi-Vis Polyurethane Coated Work Gloves Large

$2.99 per pair.

These are the exact gloves that came with my Kubi rings. Ansell G17K.

Ansell G17K Black Heavyweight, size 9-1/2 87-118 | Zoro.com

$3.49 per pair.

The pair that came with my Kubi rings lasted me about a year before I finally got a small hole in one of them. I have bought several pairs of replacements from Zoro since then, though I think I've only had to replace one more pair since that first pair got a hole in one.

These gloves are not super thick - which I like. If I am diving somewhere where I'm worried that they might not be tough enough, I will put on a pair of protective gloves over them, rather than have to have really thick gloves on ALL the time.

The protective gloves I use are like these, same brand, except the ones I have are all black and not billed as working on touch screens.

Touchscreen Hi-Vis Polyurethane Coated Work Gloves Large

$2.99 per pair.
Do you know what size Ansell G17K would correlate with Kubi size XL?

Do you know what size Ansell G17K would correlate with Kubi size XL?
Pretty sure the XL Kubis come with Size 9.5 Marigold (Ansell) G17K gloves. XXL Kubis are Size 10.5. I had to get the textured heavyweight ones for my really cold water diving because they go up to size 11.5 which I needed to be able to wear my heated undergloves. The XXL Kubis fit me for "normal" drysuit diving.

I am not familiar with Kubi sizing in letters. My Kubi rings are 80mm. My Ansell gloves have an L on the outside and 8.5 printed on the inside.

Fortunately, you can use whatever size glove you want, with whatever size rings you have...

Back
Top Bottom