US divers - maybe more local diving due to the CV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TB...

I have a spot similar to this about an hours drive away...my issue with doing this is getting gas fills while trying to maintain social distancing...and staying away from non essential businesses that are not supposed to be open anyway......not to mention being alone in a very isolated area that in my case I know for sure isn't getting any traffic...and not much point in telling anyone where I am...and if I'm not back in five hours send help...as I've probably been ''gone'' for at least four hours...

Little different if you can fill your own cylinders...and have a ''secret spot''...but you're still alone and isolated...

I can wait for as long as it takes...have too...no options...

W...

The State of Washington has declared dive shops to be "essential" businesses and they remain open to provide services, including air fills.

I should add, that if international travel isnt in the cards anytime soon, I have in-laws in Seattle. I'd probably need to get a drysuit, however. Been wanting to see a GPO, after all.

SoCal & Florida are also there too. Dove them before, would happily dive them again. I'd even give a go at the rec-accessible wrecks in the Lakes. Would be my first ever freshwater diving.

Response to above --- Interesting re Washington scuba shops. The Monterey shops are closed.

Interesting about the WA state dive shops. My shop (DRIS) does a lot of repair work for first responders, medical, military. That's still open. They're still shipping online orders and the website says in-store stuff is by appt.

I'm lucky to have just a 45 min drive to the ocean. So, shore dive tomorrow (favorable conditions prevailing) and gonna play with the new Blacktip!

The State of Washington has declared dive shops to be "essential" businesses and they remain open to provide services, including air fills.

TB...

I can see dive shops being deemed an essential service to serve first responders...recreational diving does not fall into that category...

Getting your cylinders filled under the current circumstances is a benefit to your cylinders...but not to you...

I wouldn't want to bring this ''monster'' home to my wife who is a cancer survivor with a compromised immune system because I wanted to selfishly go diving...

W...

I too am curious about WA shops deemed essential. No doubt first responders and such can get what they want elsewhere--hospitals perhaps? Other that that, there can't be anything less essential than scuba shops. Our shop remains open, operating within the govt. guidlines (lots of spraying I think). Like most places, NS requires non essential businesses to be closed.

Even though travel by visitors to "my" island has essentially stopped and there are very few active SCUBA divers resident here, they closed our local dive park (it is NOT a beach)

I'm less than an hour drive from Monterey, CA, and I usually dive there at least once a month. Right now, I'm doing the responsible thing and staying home even though I have a stash of filled tanks I could use. I've done a lot of international travel in the past, but not for the last few years. Once restrictions are lifted I plan to resume diving in Monterey and other locations in California. I plan to retire in a year or two and was planning to do more international travel then. I guess we'll see!

I cancelled a road trip to Florida from the DC area 10 days ago, as it seemed too risky in terms of lockdowns (California had just declared a total lockdown, and I thought other states might follow suit). But I think the idea of restricting shore diving locally is nonsense. The only contact necessary is to get air fills, and that can be done curbside without even a face-to-face interaction. And the idea of banning people from walking at all onto beaches or parks is just insane.

I am all for flattening the curve, washing hands, doing the namaste, and teleworking if that's an option. But every medical expert I've ever heard discuss the flattening of the curve made it clear that the same number of people are going to get sick -- just stretched out over a longer time period. Eliminating every outdoor activity that brings people joy and exercise is not going to improve health outcomes. We'll just be paler, less fit, and more neurotic when the virus comes knocking.

We dive local quarries a lot, anyway. We're 3½ hours at best from the ocean but have 6 dive quarries within 2 hours and 4 of those within a range of 5 minutes to 1½ hours. 3 of those are part of an association that we pay an annual fee to and have access to 24/7/365. The one closest to us is a privately owned dive park which charges admission and which announced on Facebook just this week that they will be opening for the season the last weekend of this month. As long as we can get air fills, we'll be diving. I just got off the phone with the owner of one of the dive shops I frequent and while he is on a shortened schedule, he is still operating.

Of course, we're hoping that charters at the coast will be going full bore by summer/early fall as we like to do some ocean dives at that time of year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom