Diver Dead in South Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...The third is caused by sloppy shifter linkages. You can put the handle in the wheelhouse in neutral, but if the cable is stretched or the ball and socket is worn, it may not completely disengage....
Not accident related, but I agree with @Wookie 100%. It's a common maintenance item just like shaft packing, etc. Shift cables need adjustment every couple of years due to wear and stretching. But I wanted to add one more thing.

If a cable is out of adjustment, I'll notice it usually the very first thing in the morning when starting the boat. Turn the key and It will just "click" and not turn over. 99% of the time I'm thinking "loose batt cable" and the starter is not getting full power. Recheck and still getting just 'clicks'. Then I'll wiggle the throttles and reverify that I'm in neutral which will allow the engine to start. Most older boat engines don't have an electric safety switch like cars when out of neutral. The reason you get a "click" is because with the transmission engaged, the starter is not powerful enough to turn over both the engine and the whole transmission with running gear. So your first indication of an out of adjustment cable is the boat won't start in the morning until you wiggle the throttles. Again, nothing above is accident related, I'm just helping readers understand better how older boats work.

I have done hundreds of live pickups with 42-46 foot Newtons & RARELY shutdown the engines during the process.
( I have shutdown engines when splashing depending on a variety of circumstances.) I brief divers before the dive to surface and get close together (forget social distancing) - Once I know all divers in that group are surfaced I maneuver the boat to within about 20 feet of the group and then have the mate throw a tag line in amongst them. I always have them off my beam and NEVER directly in front of or behind the boat. I then announce LOUDLY to everyone that the boat is in NEUTRAL. They all grab the tag line and drift with the boat until boarded.

Never have I seen or experienced an engine going into gear on its' own - Wookies' explanations of all that are spot on, IMO.

It's not a good approach, but I am more comfortable with it. I overweight enough at the beginning to ensure I can drop fast and the end of the dive if needed. I have to carry extra air in my BC during the dive which is not good, but I like the edge. I wouldn't want to test it tho as I might not get the air out fast enough or be wrong about how much of an edge I have. I ascend with a SMB on a line, be it mine or the DMs, hold at 15 feet for the safety stop while listening for motors, and when it's time to surface - I keep turning and listening, turning more on the surface with my SMB or arm in the air until I feel safe.

If I saw a boat backing up to pick me up, I'd drop then and wait until he gets a clue to stop chasing me. I'd have 19 cf more air in my pony if he can't take a hint and a PLB if he leaves me.

How many times have you had to drop fast to avoid a spinning prop?

What percentage of boats shut down their engines when picking people up - in your opinion? I think that is relatively rare.

IME: when drift diving: none. When tied off, practically all: who'd want to sit there for an hour burning gas and breathing diesel fumes.

Never have I seen or experienced an engine going into gear on its' own - ....

Engines dont go into gear on their own accord, it is always user error. Like guns going off on their own, someone had to drop them, or pull the trigger.

I can make the guaranty, 100%, that a boat with the engines off CANNOT back over a diver and chop them up. Just because you may have 100's or 1000's of "engine on" pickups without incident does not make them "safe". I just means you have been lucky and you have been betting against the safety of the divers.

There is no logical, defensible, reason to pick up divers with engines running. We are not Navy SEALs.

Engines dont go into gear on their own accord, it is always user error. Like guns going off on their own, someone had to drop them, or pull the trigger.

I can make the guaranty, 100%, that a boat with the engines off CANNOT back over a diver and chop them up. Just because you may have 100's or 1000's of "engine on" pickups without incident does not make them "safe". I just means you have been lucky and you have been betting against the safety of the divers.

There is no logical, defensible, reason to pick up divers with engines running. We are not Navy SEALs.
You must not do drift diving from a boat.

I drift dive down here all the time. My experience is consistent with Wookie and Jim Wyatt in terms of process. Given their reputations and experience, I'll side with them on this topic.

I have done hundreds of live pickups with 42-46 foot Newtons & RARELY shutdown the engines during the process.
( I have shutdown engines when splashing depending on a variety of circumstances.) I brief divers before the dive to surface and get close together (forget social distancing) - Once I know all divers in that group are surfaced I maneuver the boat to within about 20 feet of the group and then have the mate throw a tag line in amongst them. I always have them off my beam and NEVER directly in front of or behind the boat. I then announce LOUDLY to everyone that the boat is in NEUTRAL. They all grab the tag line and drift with the boat until boarded.

Never have I seen or experienced an engine going into gear on its' own - Wookies' explanations of all that are spot on, IMO.
Same. If the engine isn't in neutral, 20ft is about as close as I want to a diver. I prefer it to be off but sometimes that's no practical.

Ps Its not really possible for an outboard to "slip" into gear. They can slip out of gear. This was an inboard vessel I think, or I/O. I didn't see a picture of the stern anywhere

You must not do drift diving from a boat.

That is about all I do when diving in the ocean. From Jupiter south to the Keys. Drift dives, scooter "drift" dives, from 260' to the first reef.

There are captains that understand safety, you just have to ask. And to be honest it does limit you choices for diving. But I dont like being run over nor do I enjoy diving from boats with stupid captains. It has a tendency to limit the pleasure of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom