Gauge Lens for Macro Photographers - Old divers only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Ardy I have this : AOI UMG-01 LCD Magnifier for Olympus Compact Camera Housings and I still need a magnifying glass when, for instance, I am searching for a pygmy sea horse in a gorgonian, or when my eagle eyed spotter is trying to show me something. If I decide I want to take a picture , then I use the camera
Generally speaking , I agree that hyper macro UW photo and advance age are a bit of a challenge but hey if it was easy we would not like it

An addition regarding pygmy sea horses and presbyopia: I returned from a trip to Raja Ampat on March 13rd (just in time!): Due to my new mask it was the first time I could see them live during the dive instead of seeing them only later on the surface on the computer screen...

Wolfgang

Hi James, I was going to do that, let me know how you go are they multi-focals?

The new mask should be here any day now. I had a rush charge on it thinking at the time we were still going to Bonaire. That being before the World Wide Freakout began. But, yes, I have bifocals in my prescription. I wanted just the "Executive" readers but they talked me into doing my prescription.

I had been using those stick on lenses in a +2.5 and they helped but in dim light and with the lack of familiarity with my new camera, I was lost.

James

The new mask should be here any day now. I had a rush charge on it thinking at the time we were still going to Bonaire. That being before the World Wide Freakout began. But, yes, I have bifocals in my prescription. I wanted just the "Executive" readers but they talked me into doing my prescription.

I had been using those stick on lenses in a +2.5 and they helped but in dim light and with the lack of familiarity with my new camera, I was lost.

James
James the whole diving thing has been a bit of a magical mystery tour to me over the last few years. The best laugh is reviewing my shots and thinking "what the..." then remembering that I couldn't see it so just pressed the trigger to please the guide.

James the whole diving thing has been a bit of a magical mystery tour to me over the last few years. The best laugh is reviewing my shots and thinking "what the..." then remembering that I couldn't see it so just pressed the trigger to please the guide.

I have done that quite a lot. The guide is pointing me something and I cannot see it at all. I have a wide angle lens installed and whatever is being shown me is apparently to small for me to see! I push the shutter and let the strobes fire just to reward him/her. At least my old camera I could operate by feel and familiarity but my new rig, no so much :( even if I cannot see what I am taking a picture of.

James

The biggest disappointment James is there have been no wonder shots out of nowhere. I thought this UW photography game was supposed to be easy these days?

Hi I wondered about contact lenses. A -1.5 would help enormously. Do you wear both eyes or just one?

I've been using prescription lenses for about 10 years. I buy the mask I want and send it in; they grind and glue the lenses. About $300 US, I think; I can't find where I got the last ones, but I think it was seathesearx.com (there are lots of folks doing this now; it was harder to find them a decade ago). My lenses are at least bifocal (I don't think they're progressive, although my regular glasses are), and I consider them indispensable. My wife uses pretty serious readers (maybe 2.5x), and couldn't easily read her computer or compass. We tried the stick-on lenses, which proved very awful for her, and then she got some reader-only custom lenses, which have made a huge difference (and cost a lot less).

I inherited the gift of great close-up vision, but still use a magnifying glass for tiny stuff--easier by far than trying to find it with the camera. The best one I found was from diving-magnifying-glass.com--not cheap as magnifying glasses go, but designed for underwater usage and very heavy-duty.

IMG_2020a.jpg

I use two sets of Trident glass gauge readers. The bottom pair are +2 diopter and the top pair are +1. Looks funny, but works great. The top two come to eye level at correct IPD.

Very interesting guys. I can still see gauges but it's the small stuff. I suspect my solution is contacts or the top half of Scrane's weird set up.

Back
Top Bottom