Where to dive in Pacific Islands in May 2020?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I agree the Coolidge is an iconic dive and rust heads should all have it on their bucket list - the overall diving in Vanuatu is not that spectacular compared to some other spots I'd recommend as top notch. Before wiping Vanuatu off the list, culturally and topside it's an amazing place and now Tanna has had a change of management at Volcano Island divers you can climb the worlds most accessible constantly erupting volcano, overnight in a treehouse then dive the blue holes, canyons and sea caves.

If big stuff is your desire - the Tuomotos - Rangiroa and Fakarava will deliver in Spades and then some. Equally ranked on my list of places I've dived that made a lot of other places boring or overcrowded (Yep, I'm going to stick Komodo and Raja Ampat there even though I love both places too many boats are beginning to be an issue) would be PNG, Uepi in the Solomons, Mermaid Wall out of Rowley Shoals & Christmas Island while not SP are worthwhile.

Hi Scubaboard,

Here's the challenge: help me (AOW, ~120 dives) and my girlfriend (OW, ~50 dives) pick where to go diving in the Pacific Islands in May 2020 (around 5/1 to 5/10, to be exact). :)

We're from the US, but live in Singapore, and have loved diving across Asia (we've done Sipidan, Komodo, Similans, etc.).

Personally, I would love to do something a little more off the beaten path/exciting. But, ultimately I love the natural world and mostly go diving to experience marine life. I'm thinking something like drift diving, sharks/big pelagics, or wrecks.

What would you recommend for the Pacific Islands at that time of year? Any cool sites/phenomena?

- Mike

P.S. Chuuk Lagoon has been on my bucket list, but reading up on it, it seems like something you'd need to be a tech diver (or at least do deco dives) to get the most out of? So, maybe worth saving for later in my diving career. Yay/nay?
You don't need to be a tech diver for Chuuk. Lot's of wrecks are shallow. I have friends who swear by the onboard, but I stayed at Hard Wreck Cafe and thoroughly enjoyed it. I asked for shallower wrecks and got it. The shallower wrecks have more wildlife. I like that. Next stop is Pohnpei. Allois at Pohnpei Dive and Surf Club will be delighted to see you. $120 a night and if you both dive, they'll run a boat for you. Very nice reef passes and lagoon dives.

Next year.
Plenty to see for all levels in Truk but it does help if you can go deep.
A quick bounce dive to San Francisco Maru(50m+) is a must if you are up to the challenge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom