US divers - maybe more local diving due to the CV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will add:

I do have a great lakes trip planned for August. That was planned well before any of this. So I will be part of the influx you see come that time. Assuming there are not any restrictions to travel.

I think @Marie13 is asking about later on, when the lockdown lites/shelter in place are lifted and not so much in the immediate future/now but perhaps when international travel might not be a total option yet due to countries not having their borders open or flights running (whether domestic or international).

Just a quick note here, this is a common misunderstanding. At this time, there is no evidence that these medicines will work. There are ongoing trials investigating this question. In the meantime, the FDA has approved them as a treatment anyway, just in case it does end up working.

As for me, I have been shore diving a couple times since the quarantine has been in place. I only interact with 1 other individual at the dive shop, and the 1 buddy I dive with. This is the only non-essential exposure I've opened myself up to, and am actively avoiding seeing my own friends and family. I had a Zoom call last night with my siblings and parents to celebrate my mom's birthday. Seems a reasonable compromise to me.

My dive habits probably won't change much as I dive locally as well as travel to dive. The question for me is will there be any local dive shops in business when this lifts? Most run on such a thin line we may not have much support for air fills and such. I'm already looking into a compressor as one dive shop I know sold there building to a hotel and won't be around for long.

Some of my "local" diving involves crossing an international border. Heck, even my shore based home dive sites are in another country once I am beyond knee deep of depth. Not sure how this is going to play out.

I literally live at the beach and I am not permitted to walk 20' across the sand to enter the water. My boat partners are sheltering in place. So, looks like no local diving for me either for now. Once the restrictions are lifted I have a feeling it will take me some time to get back on a commercial airplane so I envision more local diving in my future (whenever that future occurs :) ).
Figure this one out-- My brother in Virginia says beach state parks (there is one I think) and maybe all beaches (?) are closed except for fishing and swimming. Make any sense?
I wonder if they'd make an exception for you if you walked across the beach geared up and with a FF mask???

-- re shops closing-- I'm lucky in that the shop here is really the only one anywhere around. They will probably never close due to lack of business or pandemics.

I'd normally do more local diving, but they closed all of the public water access, so there's no real local diving to be had based on my location. I'd have to drive at least 3 hours

T...

I drive 4 1/2 hours normally...I fully expect this season is gone...I'll be thankful if it's not...but I'm not making any plans...booking anything...or giving anybody money...

The circumstances are not improving...and restrictions are constantly changing...Have just heard...that there is a potential problem in China relating to a second wave...

Have also heard within the last three hours that Russia is practicing war game battle tactics...and NK is lobbing missiles into the ocean...the Ukraine may have their hands full with more than C-19...and NK...they can't help poking the bear...

W...

My dive plans will change if I am unable to travel internationally. I typically do 3 overseas trips a year. Occasionally 4. I also dive locally and am fortunate to have a private shore dive site that I can frequent and I would anticipate doing a lot more diving there this year than I normally would. If Florida opens back up, I would anticipate multiple trips there to dive and a few dedicated trips to So Cal and the Channel Islands. I dived the weekend before last at my local and privately owned shore dive site. I was the only one there on both Saturday and Sunday:

upload_2020-4-1_14-15-9.png

Is it worth flying from Europe to dive in Florida ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom