US divers - maybe more local diving due to the CV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is primarily for divers in the US -

If international travel is still very limited, but you can travel within the US, do any of you vacation divers think you might take up more local/US diving? AKA - if you've gone to Coz, would you do Florida if you can't get out of the country? Or would you take a dip in your local quarry or lake?

I guess it comes down to: do you want to dive at all costs or if you can't get to warm water, you just won't dive?

I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open this season to see if there are more Great Lakes virgins because they can't dive elsewhere. It's a lot easier diving if you can just drive there, especially under these conditions.

EDIT: I am not talking about this weekend. I'm talking summer.

Social distancing is paramount right now. Not much chance of that on a charter boat. Obtaining safe food and facilities is an ongoing challenge. Little shore excursions might be feasible locally (drift the Niagara). I'm wondering if the moorings will get set on Erie this year.....

I will be continuing my local diving in the ocean. This means about a 3 block drive while already in my wetsuit with plastic covering the car seat for the drive back to the house (I dive wet in winter). There is usually no one around or at best someone walking their dog at the site. The same can be said for the "summer spots" I frequent around here, but with maybe a couple of others diving at the same time.
In these times I would not begin to consider driving any further to dive, certainly not to FLORIDA! That would be incredibly irresponsible in these times--plus, the border is closed to non-essential traffic anyway.
Unless you are food or pharmacy shopping or are dead sure you won't be in a position to catch or spread the virus, we all should STAY HOME. Won't solve the problem until the vaccine come next year anyway, but what else can one do?

Social distancing is paramount right now. Not much chance of that on a charter boat. Obtaining safe food and facilities is an ongoing challenge. Little shore excursions might be feasible locally (drift the Niagara). I'm wondering if the moorings will get set on Erie this year.....

I'm talking about later in the summer - July/August type of thing.

If I can’t leave the country, I’m not diving. There might be one exception in the summer for 1-2 tanks at Lake Tahoe for crayfish, but that’s it.

THAT was the type of answer I was looking for. You get a gold star! :D

Thanks for the chuckle. I have to admit, I was expecting you to tell me what a warm water/destination diver snob I am or that I should watch where I’m going because I’m about to trip over someone’s tank with my nose so high up in the air! :D

Thanks for the chuckle. I have to admit, I was expecting you to tell me what a warm water/destination diver snob I am or that I should watch where I’m going because I’m about to trip over someone’s tank with my nose so high up in the air! :D

Well, there is that. But then I'm a cold water snob! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom