Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetInPortland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Cozumel Sun has a pretty good update. Quick summary:

• 1 Confirmed COVID-19 infection, tested at CostaMed (private hospital); recovering at home
  • 3 suspected cases tested at IMSS (public hospital); results still pending; two of which have died due to, "atypical pneumonia".
  • Collectivo service suspended
  • Taxi service reduced to 8am - 5pm
  • Ferries are severely curtailed. Winjet is only showing alternate day service on their website. Article says only one trip per day, but Winjet is showing two trips on the days they operate
  • Car ferry is unclear. Both Ultramar Carga and Transcaribe show full schedules on their websites, but I'm not certain they have been updated.
  • Airport remains open as it is under federal control
  • Mayor is concerned that there is still too little attention being given to social distancing. I've observed and/or heard fairly substantial gatherings in my neighborhood; @ChuckP reported similar observations near his home.

The woman who died yesterday was Pedro Pablo's (my Dm of 16+ years) sister-in-law (his wife Elizabeth's sister) - and it was confirmed complications from COVID-19

I think the fact is that they are all trying to put their best foot forward, but there are issues with the testing process. There have not been enough tests to go around (at least here), so they have been only testing those who exhibit symptoms. Some are sent home to self-quarantine and if their symptoms are severe they are sent to the hospital.

Then the tests are sent to a commercial chemical lab where the results are cumputed and about a week later published. In the mean time, a person with Covid-19 has been doing their thing for a week. MAYBE quarantined, maybe not. The testing system has not been what we need it to be. The only TRUE numbers that are irrefutable are the casualties. Once those start, be prepared. More will soon follow. Stay home folks!

My deepest sympathies to Pedro Pablo and his family.

What I found (sadly) interesting was that the test conducted by CostaMed, a private hospital, was sent to Cancun and results were available within a day. Tests conducted by IMSS, part of the national public health system, bounced around before ending up in Mexico city in the national backlog of tests.

DAM.That's not something I ever expected to hear. Please tell Pedro I'm thinking of him & all his relatives. Also please relay my condolences.

Hopefully people are getting the message we're all vulnerable. My wife & I have been in self isolation since the idea was mentioned (which was a bit after our trip which ended mid Feb). We've refused visitors & stayed home as much as possible & so have the rest of our immediate family however my daughter, son in law & grandson had gone to Florida BEFORE it all hit the fan but they have been very good about also self isolating once they got back. It's a very different world than it was in Jan. .

Re testing. Here in Canada which has a free Universal Health System for for all citizens Government cut backs to funding over the years has finally proved to be bad policy. Testing here is also very slow & in a lot of cases the results aren't confirmed before it's too late. THIS IS A SERIOUS WORLD WIDE PROBLEM. Stay home as much as possible & avoid close human contact with others wherever possible. Friends & relatives included.

Re testing. Here in Canada which has a free Universal Health System for for all citizens Government cut backs to funding over the years has finally proved to be bad policy. Testing here is also very slow & in a lot of cases the results aren't confirmed before it's too late. THIS IS A SERIOUS WORLD WIDE PROBLEM. Stay home as much as possible & avoid close human contact with others wherever possible. Friends & relatives included.
Unfortunately, there is a worldwide trend to cut back on essential social services in the interest of "saving money". Money is only saved until something like this comes along, and only time will tell what the net result will be. I suspect that this one will not be positive.

There will be those who will say, "But we couldn't have seen this coming." My response is, "Exactly."

You cannot wait until your car is sliding toward a collision to start thinking about installing airbags.

What I found (sadly) interesting was that the test conducted by CostaMed, a private hospital, was sent to Cancun and results were available within a day. Tests conducted by IMSS, part of the national public health system, bounced around before ending up in Mexico city in the national backlog of tests.

Exactly - this is what I mean. There are not tests on the island until there is a suspected case - then a test gets sent. From there, the test goes from CZM to CUN to MX City and then results finally back to CZM.

@CajunDiva - yes, there is a lack of testing on the island and everywhere. But beyond that there is a tremendous amount of denial on the island and in MX in general with public officials making outrageous statements that are intentional attempts to minimize and hide the truth about cases.

@CajunDiva - yes, there is a lack of testing on the island and everywhere. But beyond that there is a tremendous amount of denial on the island and in MX in general with public officials making outrageous statements that are intentional attempts to minimize and hide the truth about cases.

And of course we had a lot of that here in the US as well early on. Not so much now, but the damage is done. One legislator said that we have locked the door after the killer has left the building.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom