When do you think virus-related disruptions will end?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To answer the question.....July 12th will be the all clear.

A big Hakka hug to all of you. (However I won’t understand a word of it. My parents thought Mandarin to be more useful in the world).
So your parents write "proper" Chinese and speak Mandarin.
And the term Putonghua has no meaning to them.

did you even read the article? the point is the wider world only cares what you look like. they aren't going to ask for the nationality on your passport before you get assaulted. if you look southeast asian or dutch, that is an entirely different case.

In China they have attacked non Han Chinese looking people. Now China has ordered all foreigners to leave the country including all those with legal residency. Oh well and you only think it happens to Chinese looking people.

did you even read the article? the point is the wider world only cares what you look like. they aren't going to ask for the nationality on your passport before you get assaulted. if you look southeast asian or dutch, that is an entirely different case.
You don't need to look very far, racial discrimination happens everyday in the Land of the Free!

So your parents write "proper" Chinese and speak Mandarin.
And the term Putonghua has no meaning to them.
Well they speak Hakka and Mandarin. My father also speaks Cantonese. We understand the meaning of putonghua, but I guess we don’t really use it, as that was told to me to be a Mainland thing, and we were definitely not political supporters of the government, but the alternate term guo yi, although technically for me, that would be English. So to be pedantic, I should use the term hua yi, as I am overseas Chinese (ethnically speaking).

Well they speak Hakka and Mandarin. My father also speaks Cantonese. We understand the meaning of putonghua, but I guess we don’t really use it, as that was told to me to be a Mainland thing, and we were definitely not political supporters of the government, but the alternate term guo yi, although technically for me, that would be English. So to be pedantic, I should use the term hua yi, as I am overseas Chinese (ethnically speaking).

My son now lives and works in Australia, his wife was born and raised in Sydney but her two parents met in Australia when an incident in China that is not allowed to be talked about where thousands were murdered in a square for protesting about government corruption happened and they got permanent residency handed to them. They are both from China but are Cantonese speakers first and Mandarin as a second language.

My sons wife speaks Cantonese but has learned Mandarin Chinese but not yet any Taiwanese. My son born and raised in Taiwan met her in Australia when he started university there. Funny thing is the Han Chinese in Australia see my son as being very Asian and assume he is not Chinese so talk around him without them knowing he is fluent in Mandarin. With his Taiwanese friends he will switch to Taiwanese. The things you hear Han Chinese saying about people who are not Han Chinese can be pretty disgusting and racist. They are so happy to talk in Chinese thinking that in Sydney a non Chinese looking person cannot understand what they are saying.

I was mistaken as a Mexican by a Chinese-American colleague for three years because my last name is an older pre-official romanized spelling and I was sporting a heavy tan from outdoor work. She didn’t believe me or my other friends at all until I started speaking to her in Mandarin. The sad thing is that she grew up in the Mainland just after the cultural revolution, so was unfamiliar with many of the annual traditional Chinese customs that I was taught second hand in Canada/America. They are back now to a certain extent but were completely erased from her childhood.

To answer the question.....July 12th will be the all clear.
I was going to say the 13th, but as we're in different time zones maybe we're both right. :wink:

Sorry for veering back 'on topic' everyone. Carry on!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom