Easy Dive Locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently got a custom fit drysuit, and I'm really itching to try it out! I'm looking for a good locations to get a few easy dives in it before graduating to traveling to Vancouver Island and the PNW. I have probably 75-100 dives in a whites drysuit, I recently got a custom fit Bare drysuit. I've heard they dive differently so I want to be sure I'm comfortable in it.

The only place I have drysuit dove in the midwest has been in a quarry about 3 hours from my house (Lake Wazee if you're familiar) We go there because my in-laws have a place not to far away that we can spend the night at. Plus, they have lots of platforms and buoys that can be helpful when trying out new gear.

I live in the Twin Cities, and I'm wondering if I'm totally missing out on some good spots up in Duluth. I've done some googleing and found the Maderia which looks like it should be easy access.

My first question is, would Lake Superior be a good place for a check-out dive for new equipment? Or should I be patient and drive out to the quarry once the buoys are in?

Second question... What else am I missing? Any great spots on the north shore near Duluth that are not to be missed?

Thanks in advance for any advice, and sorry for the long-winded multi part question.

If you're up that way, I'd suggest Lake Minnetonka. Easy shore dives and a few wrecks. If you're able to get on the boat the one whaleback out of Duluth is a riot to dive on.

Interesting! I’ve never thought about Lake Minnetonka. I’m assuming you have to go before it’s congested with boat traffic. I did some googling, but I can’t find where the “dive sites” might me. Are there any official ones, or do you just go in wherever and hope for the best?

My friend took me in from a park where there is a boat launch. Then from there is a wreck of steamer right off shore in about 30ft of water. I'm sure the information is online. Vis was about 20ft (it was April), and the water was a balmy 35°.

Back
Top Bottom