Cancelled/postponed trips due to COVID - please share your outcomes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I can answer my own question as I have spoken with someone who had a trip scheduled on the Damai and have been dealing with them. I have been told the owner wants to keep 40% of the charter price and give a 60% credit towards a future trip. I can understand keeping some amount but keeping 40% seems excessive to me.

Ouch.

I think I can answer my own question as I have spoken with someone who had a trip scheduled on the Damai and have been dealing with them. I have been told the owner wants to keep 40% of the charter price and give a 60% credit towards a future trip. I can understand keeping some amount but keeping 40% seems excessive to me.

Assuming the above is correct:

60% towards a future trip, that has another round of p&l attached to it - seems harsh. It’s not even a cash refund.

they’re incurring no fuel cost (that must be at least 20%) of revenue, reduced staffing costs (some payments still), no food costs, etc and will take 40% of that residual amount being less than ?70%? .... meaning they’re grabbing a nice p&l margin.

By Dive Damai acting as a secondary partial insurer they’re also being able to fully keep $ from those divers who can claim on their travel insurance (approx 1/3 of divers based on other poll).

it also makes @divedamai’s responses above somewhat disingenuous or at least not fully transparent.

I’m guessing nearly everyone reading this is having to deal with a lot of things. trying to take a large % from divers and citing longevity of operations is just BS and earns a place on the banned list.

@Jay

1/3 having travel or some form of travel insurance whether purchased or through credit card, I believe. Actual number able to claim successfully based on reason for cancellation and the insurer’s terms and conditions...I’d go out on a limb and peg that at more like 1/30, realistically probably less. The vast majority won’t cover this and I don’t see many people getting claims approved.

Reactions: Jay
I have trip to Anilao on the books for early May and I'm still planning to go provided the Philippines lifts the ban on foreigners entering the country. I'm on round 4 of cancelled flights but still have a way to get there that's actually preferable to the original route now that I've been reticketed by United onto ANA. United has tightened their policies and initially refused a refund after a schedule change added 5 hours and 2 additional stops. I'm happy with the routing now but if this one cancels, its time to fight for a refund.
The resort was kind enough to reach out proactively to see if I was still planning to come. It sounds as if many other bookings have cancelled. If my trip is forced to cancel or postpone, I am covered by Amex, DiveAssure, and I purchased a trip policy with a cancel for any reason benefit. If I have to claim under the "any reason" benefit, it pays out 75% of the non-refundable costs. While the policy itself was expensive, its peace of mind because I know I can at least get that part of the trip costs back without having to battle through endless requests for frivolous documentation, deliberate delays, and the inevitable denial and appeal required to get most travel insurance to pay a claim. (That was my experience last July for a claim that was less than $400 due to a flight cancelation.)
Here's my 2 cents about resort cancellations: the resort I'm booked with has published policies stating that if a trip is cancelled within 14 days, there is a 100% penalty. I understood that when I booked so I don't expect, nor will I ask for a refund if I don't go (unless the resort itself is closed). I'm certain that margins are small and there are plenty of expenses mounting while the resorts sit empty. I want to support the resort and dive industry to ensure its survival. I'm looking forward not only to this trip but many more in the future. If this was a corporation or large chain, I'd feel differently and would expect a different cancellation policy and probably request refund for a cancellation in these circumstances. If this was a LOB, I'd expect some credit for the fuel and food that will not be required. But my trip is to a land based resort and I'd rather not push for refunds from the smaller independent operators. I want them to be able to support their employees and dive staff, continue to maintain gear, boats, and facilities, and be in open for future trips. If everyone demands a 100% refund or even a 100% trip credit, it will be impossible for some places to survive.

We planned our trip one year ago for Anthony’s Key Resort for April 25, 2020. We have been counting down the days for the last year, probably like a lot of you. We were notified by Bay Adventures , who we booked our trip through, that Anthony’s was offering us the option of rebooking anytime up to 12/31/2021 with no change fee. Which we rescheduled for November of this year, hopefully it will be over by then. Also American Airlines offered to reschedule with no fees as long as we use our tickets by the end of this year. That is why we are going this November. Also we had our trip covered by DAN travel insurance, they also moved our dates to the new ones with no problems or fees. Everyone we dealt with was great! Now we just have to add a couple hundred days to our countdown and hope this virus goes away. Good luck to everyone with your trips and stay safe and remember a prayer goes a long way.

If everyone demands a 100% refund or even a 100% trip credit, it will be impossible for some places to survive.

My wife runs her own small guest house. We too have a cancellation policy. Can hardly blame customers for not coming when within a few days of their proposed travel Taiwan bans all foreigners from entering. We refunded all customers 100% withing 24 hours of them requesting a refund. Actually as soon as we knew the entry ban was coming we notified our foreign customers so some did not need to pay and others could get a refund. We use LINE pay as that is popular here in Taiwan and Japan.

If if business cannot keep enough funds to keep themselves afloat for a few months then to me sounds like that they are catering only to a small market. We had our guest house full on the weekend with local tourists who are regular customers.

Nautilus Liveaboards

Looks like Nautilus updated the policy on covid-19. Hope this helps those that were struggling with their previous response.

What they are proposing seems very reasonable to me. Good job Nautilus for stepping up.

Would love to see Damai come forward and clearly state what their policy will be in dealing with COVID-19 but no one seems to be willing to say a word.

If everyone demands a 100% refund or even a 100% trip credit, it will be impossible for some places to survive.

But some places will!
Nowadays I do not book directly for accommodation because the cancellation policy is so one-sided. I book it through Agoda or similar because some hostels/hotels/resorts offer FREE cancellation within a very reasonable period ie. less than 1 wk from scheduled arrival date.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom