When do you think virus-related disruptions will end?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Government = Pemerintah (I sure like you to talk to me in Malay and I’ll respond it in Indonesian and see if we can understand each other LOL) Hopefully that would be the peak & it starts to level off & even decrease after April.

I studied Malay 40 hours a week in 1980's. Four tests each week listening speaking reading writing. Get less than 90% in any test and you are on academic warning. Get less than 90% two weeks in a row and you are kicked off the course.

I still use the language and Indonesian for my business.

Malay word for government is kerajaan
Indonesian word for government is pemerintah
Saya harap saya mendapat yang betul saya sudah terlupa sangat kata kata dan banyak perkataan

RAAF SCHOOL OF LANGUAGES.jpg

I personally don't think restrictions will be lifted in April or May, June is a big maybe, July more likely, August probably, Sept+ should be ok. I just rebooked something to Christmas week

What do you think?
I think that some restrictions may never be lifted. In some ways, this situation feels like 9/11 all over again. Nineteen years, and we are still not "back to normal." After the threat passed, it was easy to justify continuing the restrictions by saying, "there are still other terror groups out there." Guess what? After COVID-19 goes away, there will always be other infectious diseases out there.

Think about history. Think of how long China was closed to outsiders; it managed international trade by having a designated zone in the port city for foreign merchants, who were not allowed to leave that zone. Think of apartheid South Africa: black people were not allowed to leave the Bantustans without papers showing that they were employed by a white person. Countries have found ways of having functioning economies without allowing freedom of movement. I'm not counting on ever being free to travel again.

I think that some restrictions may never be lifted. In some ways, this situation feels like 9/11 all over again. Nineteen years, and we are still not "back to normal." After the threat passed, it was easy to justify continuing the restrictions by saying, "there are still other terror groups out there." Guess what? After COVID-19 goes away, there will always be other infectious diseases out there.

Think about history. Think of how long China was closed to outsiders; it managed international trade by having a designated zone in the port city for foreign merchants, who were not allowed to leave that zone. Think of apartheid South Africa: black people were not allowed to leave the Bantustans without papers showing that they were employed by a white person. Countries have found ways of having functioning economies without allowing freedom of movement. I'm not counting on ever being free to travel again.
I think when we look back on this in a year the economic problems will be what we remember the most.

I think when we look back on this in a year the economic problems will be what we remember the most.
I do not agree.
Stock market crash in 2008 has less impact than SARS in 2002/3 to us in Hong Kong. Roller coaster in stock market is fact of live but this one is a completely ball game.
Restaurants were told to half their capacity, group gathering is limited to 4, travel ban applies to foreigners except couple of places. NO English Premier League. La Liga etc etc on TV. Mad rush for toilet paper! All new experiences.

I do not agree.
Stock market crash in 2008 has less impact than SARS in 2002/3 to us in Hong Kong. Roller coaster in stock market is fact of live but this one is a completely ball game.
Restaurants were told to half their capacity, group gathering is limited to 4, travel ban applies to foreigners except couple of places. NO English Premier League. La Liga etc etc on TV. Mad rush for toilet paper! All new experiences.
We will see. 2008 did not shut down the world economy like this is.

I think much of the brushfire of restrictive posture is a result of our ability to communicate so much more rapidly across a much larger population than in the past. The facility with which each of us can communicate is astounding. If this were the 80s, there would be entire countries who had never even heard of COVID-19 while scores of people are dying in other countries.

At worst it will be recession for some countries.
Just wait and see.
"Of the 299 SARS patients from Hong Kong who died, 191 were 65 years or older, and 158 of these cases had a history of chronic disease"

"The Hong Kong economy was quite exposed to the global downturn due to its heavy dependence on external trade and financial services. From September 2008 to March 2009, trade volumes in Hong Kong fell 21% and output in the financial services sector also declined. As a result, Hong Kong’s GDP contracted sharply during the second half of 2008 and first quarter of 2009."

We will have no choice but to wait and see.

The stock market also tanked after 9/11 and what do we remember about 9/11?

The 2008 financial crash was a direct result of finances, so we remember it as such.

No, we'll remember the corona virus for this year, moreso than an economic one.

Back
Top Bottom