Bali Tulumben+Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fdpdrum345

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

I am starting research on a trip we want to do EOY, and with all the COVID-19 stuff happening it is hard to sort through info so I wanted to start a new thread.

We are looking to see a variety of things. GF likes sharks, turtles, mantas, and I like Macro. We want to dive two locations and would like to dive 2 separate places.

Can you please share your best locations, dive guides and etc for Komodo and Tulumben? We are down to do a short live aboard for Komodo but the GF isn't down for a 10 dayer even though I would love it.

Thanks, and wash your hands!

EOY is great for Komodo, could be not so great for Tulamben if too late and you are not lucky.
I can recommend what I did and who I have been with. during those past 10 years.
Komodo on a short liveaboard, I went with Dragon Dive Komodo which is a cheap operation but they do propose a suite room for a bargain on a relatively small boat, 8 divers only now. Even my non diving wife was happy with them, having the suite was key. Typical liveaboard duration is 4-5 days with them.
First time Tulamben : Liberty dive resort is a no brainer, their guides are excellent for macro, Wayan Jhon, Gede Ardha, Uji, all of them I can recommend, Book them ahead.
If you want more big stuff like mantas, then stay in Padang Bai and dive with Gekodive, they setup speed boat dives to Nusa Penida. You can do both Padang Bai and Tulamben when you're in Bali, it's only a matter of 1,5hrs drive, you can transfer in the evening or early morning without losing any dive.

I've spend 10 days this winter during what the locals called "the dryest wet season" they ever seen in Amed and dove both Tulamben, Amend, Jemeluk and Kubu.

I didn't get to see any sharks but rays, turtles, and all kinds of critters was amazing. Both macro and large. So I completly recommed.
I had also a plan to visit Nusa Penida for the Manta Ray's but there wasn't good visibility so I decided to skip it and only stayed there.

I've spend 10 days this winter during what the locals called "the dryest wet season" they ever seen
Same experience I had the last two winter seasons around Xmas time.
No rain, but the day after I left there were terrible floodings in Jakarta and downpour on Bali.

He’s I have been in Bali in early February for the last three years, had great weather on all of the trips. Liberty Dive Resort is wonderful. You get your own guide, free Nitrox , your own vehicle and set your own schedule. I dived with Made on the last two trips, such a great guide. He never ever ever stops concentrating and looking around and sees the most wonderful tiny things. He helps a lot with photography too. All the guides are really good there. They will help with camera or diving gear into and out of the water if you need this. The rooms are lovely, the garden is magnificent and everything is spotless, the meals are fine.

My husband and I did Mermaid 2 a few years ago to Komodo from Bali, in the good old days when the British pound was actually worth something. it was a wonderful trip and if you are traveling with euros it might even be affordable !

EOY is great for Komodo, could be not so great for Tulamben if too late and you are not lucky.

Hmm is the weather so drastically different in these two places? How is Komodo sheltered from monsoon conditions?

P

Hmm is the weather so drastically different in these two places? How is Komodo sheltered from monsoon conditions?

P
Monsoon in Indonesia is quite complex to understand : unlike most of India, there is no monsoon that applies nationwide at a certain period of the year, because Indonesia is not continental, it is highly dependant on the sea/ocean temperatures and winds, steep island protections, etc. For instance the eastern side of Indonesia would be hot and dry in February while there would be floodings in westerner islands such as Java and Bali.
Usually rain starts in Bali from november sometimes december and peaks in January/February, although some people say they can dive Bali in Feb, it is certainly not the best period of the year and december can be a gamble.
Komodo is exposed to the Flores sea on the northern side where the monsoon hits starting from mid december, while on the southern side of Komodo that is bathed with the Indian Ocean it's a dryer season where seas are much flatter, warmer and clearer, it's the only season where small boats can dive south Rinca/Komodo. South and North Komodo are just like two separate and contradictory monsoon patterns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom