Will COZ close it’s borders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

don't be like one of these Gen Z's that think it is okay to go on spring break and then wonder why you caught the virus
Yeah, the timing was especially challenging. This Boomer went, but camping, courthouse streets, and cemeteries included a lot of distancing. We've been back and hiding out for a week. Borrrrred.

Reactions: BRT
I would think (for those of you that will travel) that if you willingly travel during a pandemic/epidemic and have been made fully aware of the situation - your dive ins would NOT pay out a claim. I keep hearing people say they are going to travel anyways...while you may not be showing symptoms of the virus, you may very well be a carrier or it is possible you could contract it at your travel destination.

With travel bans getting tougher, I would not want to take a chance and not be able to return the US. Also, many of us have families and I certainly would not want to return home with this and pass it on to loved ones. Right now, it is best to use some smarts and just hold off on traveling. (don't be like one of these Gen Z's that think it is okay to go on spring break and then wonder why you caught the virus)
I am not an epidemiologist, but I gather from what I am reading that a significant contributor to the spread of this disease is people who are finding ways to circumvent the measures the rest of us are taking to try to curtail it. Thanks a lot.

We have a lot of personal freedom in this country, and that, by and large, is a good thing, but with freedom comes (or should come) responsibility. When someone exercises his freedom by ignoring the exhortations to shelter at home, restrict travel to trips necessary for sustenance and medical care, postpone vacations until the risk is lowered, limit contact with others, wash hands frequently and disinfect anything one touches both before and after contact, cover coughs and sneezes... all the things the rest of us are doing, all day, every day, with no end in sight, that person is helping the disease to infect more people and hang around longer, making things that much harder on the rest of us. Again, thanks a lot. Decorum prevents me from expressing that sentiment the way I'd really like to.

@ggunn I think you hit the nail on the head.....responsibility. Every person (in America or otherwise) should have at least an ounce of what I call social responsibility. That means: people should stop being selfish and doing things that would endanger themselves and/or others. But it seems lately that people are forgetting the latter part of that sentiment - others. These people are acting self-entitiled and just plain stupid without care for fellow humans.

Ironically, in these forums here I keep reading about people wanting to travel....seriously???? Hey guess what.....THERE IS A GLOBAL PANDEMIC THAT IS KILLING PEOPLE. there is nothing that important that requires you to travel to a vacation spot just because someone bought a ticket and you can't get a refund. (barring family from that analogy).

Everyone keeps comparing this virus to everything other virus under the sun. Here is the major difference -- we do not know enough about this virus. Yes, flu, pneumonia, etc have caused more deaths - but the factor is this - those are viruses and illnesses that we know about, we do not know enough about this to combat it -- we do not have medications to kill or curtail it.

Like I said when Katrina hit -- you find out what people are really made of and what kind of people they really are.

... Again, thanks a lot. Decorum prevents me from expressing that sentiment the way I'd really like to.
FWIW, I find that you presented your opinions quite eloquently. But I understand the desire to invoke a more forceful response.

This is how much things appear to have changed on the island since we left one week ago. Two weeks ago nobody was taking any visible action at doing things different and there were 4 cruise ships docked. This came from the Coz facebook page.

"Yesterday we traveled from Cozumel to Minnesota via Cancun. For those of you that are wondering how proactive México is being, here is our experience. I will start with the day before our trip actually started. We had to drop our car off for storage Wednesday around 4-5pm, we store it near the square. We plan to be gone for quite some time so emptied our cabinets and fridge and needed to eat our final meal before leaving. Very few places are open to the public. We were going to need a taxi the next morning to get to the ferry pier so hired a taxi from the ferry pier home and asked him to pick us up the next morning. BTW there were only 3 taxis on Melgar at about 6pm, unheard of.

You can see in the photos México has painted distancing circles on the ground, they are making you take the hand sanitizer that someone else is squirting onto your palm. They are handing out flyers with information for you. Everywhere we went people were asking you to keep your distance. Employees everywhere wore masks and gloves and were spraying disinfectant and wiping things down. When we got to the airport via taxi, we didn’t see ADO anywhere on the roads, distancing was still observed and going through security there was a thermal testing set up checking for fevers. And as you can see by the photos, airport is very empty.

Then we arrive in MN, nothing. No hand sanitizer, no request that people keep a distance, no thermal testing, nothing. driving home and passing stores like Walmart and Target I was absolutely amazed at how packed the parking lots were, how could they possibly practice social distancing if the store is full of the car owners?

Very long winded but wanted everyone to understand that Mexico seems to be doing its part from what I had seen

Additional-please feel free to share the post, no need to ask. I am not able to read all the questions but my husband keeps coming back to tell me someone is asking if they can share. Please feel free and keep in mind this is just my observations and opinions."

I understand the 11pm curfew starts tonight, we typically can here traffic noise late into the night. Last night, virtually no traffic, quite - now if they’d just get the dogs to agree to it.

FWIW, I find that you presented your opinions quite eloquently. But I understand the desire to invoke a more forceful response.
Thank you. And yes, the people who take the position that the coronavirus outbreak is not that big of a deal and that the measures we are taking to try to inhibit its spread somehow do not apply to them make me very angry.

Something that occurred to me is the question of whether the COVID-19 test on someone who has been sick and recovered can show that it was what they had. It seems to me that it would be a valuable thing to know by someone who is wanting to go back to work that they are on the other side of it.

Why are any parks still open. Caprock Canyon SP was a hidden gem not many years back, now "is at capacity for both overnight camping and day use for Saturday March 28th and Sunday March 29th." Zion and two other NPs in Utah are still open. Travelers encounter others getting to and from these sites and others. Yeah, I was slow embracing the distancing and was in one two weeks ago but onboard now, only leaving the grounds for essentials.

My daughter's house is getting better. She's teaching thru internet connections and remotely managing the small private school where she's now the principal as well as taking care of the babies. My SIL has a new, developing job as a mail carrier and I hope he is taking all precautions. I keep nagging at them that they need to stop allowing other family members over or going out at all for non-essentials.

Something that occurred to me is the question of whether the COVID-19 test on someone who has been sick and recovered can show that it was what they had. It seems to me that it would be a valuable thing to know by someone who is wanting to go back to work that they are on the other side of it.
They keep announcing new tests, so I can't say. I've also read that some overseas who recovered are now testing as relapsed. We are just too early in all of this to know.

Back
Top Bottom