Will COZ close it’s borders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

23 sailors on an aircraft carrier out at sea contracted covid19....if you think Coz, or any city is immune, your living in lala land.

Seriously? You've seen that?

Yup :( - Today I went to pick up food to go at Rock n Java yesterday - there were two couples there talking about the hotel food and their diving, while I was waiting. I went to Mega to get some groceries and over the last 2-3 days and there are still families arriving. (I lived here long enough that I know the difference between the locals and the ones buying food to stock their home or rental). A good friend told me that her hubby went out on a fast boat two days ago and two guys had just arrived that were on the boat with him. There have been many various posts on other FB groups where people are off from work for several weeks and working from home and thought they might as well come down here to work and get some diving in since there will be no one on the reefs! There was one woman that was so insistent since she was a teacher and it was the perfect time to come and just chill.
Gobsmacked.

One person living alone as a hermit on an island with no contact at all with anyone has nothing to worry about from the coronavirus.
I resemble that remark.

Well, we didn't cancel our Spring Break camping trip, I explored the prettiest courthouses of the coastal bend area for a couple of days as I am seldom in that area alone - but only shooting my own photos from the outside, then spent a long day visiting cemeteries and a Confederate lynching site on the way home. I think I maintained a fathom of distancing almost all places, with a couple of exceptions - but trying to take it more seriously now. I've been sheltering in place or killing winter weeds for the last week except for one Seniors' Hours trip to the grocery. I left my brother's groceries on his porch as they both absolutely need to isolate.

The poor clerks at the three stores I had to visit to fill the list (no TP needed thank goodness) were not protected, stuck only a meter from me, but I hear that they are finally getting shields. I've been looking for cheap, throwaway protection from door handles and I think I finally got it.

Doggy poop bags

Sadly I'll be adding plastic to the landfills, but drastic times and all that.

IMG_2612.JPG

Hi Jen
When we spoke on 3-16 it was still during the early transition when even the doctors were still hugging and I was frustrated in trying to get people I know on the island to recognize the danger of the pandemic. .
Yes, I think so many have been just watching it from afar. The doctors know its coming. But everyone is in waiting mode. It's a cultural thing, the hugging. Hard habit to break. I'll be so happy when we are all doing that again! I am hopeful to see that nothing has popped up yet, but we don't know. It's a young population here, so, so far so good. But yes, how much testing. No one has the answer to that one. But I think we are going to see some cases confirmed very soon. There have been three sent out of testing.

There is a huge laboratory in Chetumal. That's where they are sending tests.

Yes, I think so many have been just watching it from afar. The doctors know its coming. But everyone is in waiting mode. It's a cultural thing, the hugging. Hard habit to break. I'll be so happy when we are all doing that again! I am hopeful to see that nothing has popped up yet, but we don't know. It's a young population here, so, so far so good. But yes, how much testing. No one has the answer to that one. But I think we are going to see some cases confirmed very soon. There have been three sent out of testing.

There is a huge laboratory in Chetumal. That's where they are sending tests.

Will they honestly test it? Hopefully so, during the 2016 Zika virus scare the local health officials refused to process the positive test report forms from the doctors (I was told this by multiple local residents) and I understand why, S Florida did the same until they heard there may be federal funding involved. Hopefully they will test AND report in a responsible manner

I'm not going to say the number of COVID-19 cases on the island is zero - full stop.

However, if, as you surmise, there are a, "large number of unreported/uncomfirmed [sic] case [sic] in Cozumel", why are we not hearing reports of illness?

My personal opinion is they are slow to test right now. Yesterday they did announce that they had three people being tested and are awaiting results. I would ask that you not keep guessing and guessing. We have a long way to go and as usual, when you have any large group the speculations will be all over the place.

Also, let's try to do this so that we are able to get the correct information here before sharing it all over the scuba board. Because it's incredibly important that we have CORRECT information. People have been actually taking government logos and posting fake posts on Facebook and other social media - I kid you not. This is REALLY important because a LOT of people that live and work here in Cozumel read this board. Thank you.

I trust the source of my info and it is likely the same as yours @JenLoves2Dive which is why we are in lock step on what we are saying. They have sent out the three test kits that they had and we will soon know the results. Based on the symptoms it is highly unlikely to not be Covid-19.

I can also confirm that they are doing interviews outside the hospital to check for symptoms before allowing people into the hospital. That may be easily misinterpreted so just take it at face value and don't jump to any conclusions without more information. If symptoms are mild, they are sent home to self quarantine with instructions.

There is a report for about an hour each evening at 7pm where information and instructions are shared with the public by government sources. That is about all I can share for now.

My opinion is, if you left and went home, you made the right call. If you decided to travel to Cozumel to ride out your furlough from work, you have a different set of values and judgement than mine. The thought crossed my mind to stay when I was there but it crossed my mind, it didn't linger in my mind for very long.

23 sailors on an aircraft carrier out at sea contracted covid19....if you think Coz, or any city is immune, your living in lala land.
I don't think that, of course, but some sailors aboard the ship must have had shore leave somewhere. That, or someone bringing supplies aboard at a port must have been infected.

I would think (for those of you that will travel) that if you willingly travel during a pandemic/epidemic and have been made fully aware of the situation - your dive ins would NOT pay out a claim. I keep hearing people say they are going to travel anyways...while you may not be showing symptoms of the virus, you may very well be a carrier or it is possible you could contract it at your travel destination.

With travel bans getting tougher, I would not want to take a chance and not be able to return the US. Also, many of us have families and I certainly would not want to return home with this and pass it on to loved ones. Right now, it is best to use some smarts and just hold off on traveling. (don't be like one of these Gen Z's that think it is okay to go on spring break and then wonder why you caught the virus)

Back
Top Bottom