Compact SMB Rig w/Finger Reel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil H.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for a compact SMB with an open bottom for use with a finger reel. I have an old SMB with only a short oral inflator and use it on high current dives when there’s a risk of missing the anchor/buoy line. It’s compact and works fine for surface deployment but not underwater. I prefer one that can clip to the BC since mine has no easily accessible pockets.

i have a buoy like yours. orange on one side and yellow on the other. oral inflate only and no over pressure valve. i have had mine for almost 20 years and always deploy it from 30 feet or less when needed. you just need to not over fill it to prevent damage as obviously it will just about double in size from 30 feet.
there are tons of options out there. different colors. different sizes etc. depends on the diving you are doing.
many cold water divers refrain from using the reg to fill one even if it has this option as it can cause a free flow. so getting one that has both inflate options is a good idea. with some you can also use your bc inflate hose.
any can be used with a finger spool and clipped off to your rig. you just need to set it up that way. lots of online videos showing different options on how to do that.
only advise.....practice with it in the pool or shallow confined water. they are not difficult to use but it is also not as simple as it looks. they do take practice to do it safely.

The small halcyon ones work perfectly to inflate orally or with a BC whip. Open bags can dump gas at the surface unless you continually hang on them..

I’d second the small 4’ halcyon. With a small finger spool it can easily be rolled to fit in the palm of your hand.

the DSS was a fantastic item, but sadly no longer available. I now am trying out the 3.5' Halcyon....

Another vote for the Halcyon 3.3' (1m) oral inflate DAM and a finger spool, i recommend the light monkey spool with 100' (30m) of line

I'm using Light Monkey cold water 30m spool, in combination with Cressi Deco Pro SMB.

The hole is big enough for thick gloves, and the SMB is nice, has a bolt snap attached, an reflective tape, and it's aroung 1,4m. And most importantly it has a plastic end for inflation which is great in the winter.

I attached a picture of two of my DSMBs and spools. As several others have said, if you’re going for the most compact option, you can’t beat the Halcyon 1m. However, if you really need an open-bottom, Carter makes a great, but not very compact 6’ sausage.

The smaller spool is the Light Monkey mini, which holds 25 to 30 feet. Perfect size if all you intend to do is launch your sausage from safety stop depth. The larger spool holds 50 feet. I don’t remember what brand it is because it is just a cheapie from my LDS.

for reference, the tile in the picture is a 1 foot square. Hope this helps. Let me know if you would like any more info or pictures.

Attachments

• 2A1B94C8-1F14-453B-B838-616186467BA3.jpeg
    2A1B94C8-1F14-453B-B838-616186467BA3.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 116
Mares makes a neat little one with a built in pouch for the reel. I bought a cheap 30m aluminum reel on ebay that I can fit my thumb through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom