Will COZ close it’s borders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clearly this is a very stressful time for people worldwide

Replies are generally meant as reactions to what a members post

Anyone that does not 100% need to cross a border should not. Stay Isolated if you can. We can learn from what has already transpired elsewhere

Best of luck to everyone and hopefully things get better before they get much worse

We were the last two guests to check out at Cozumel Palace on Sunday, 22-March. It felt like we were in a scene from Casablanca in Rick's Cafe Americain. They expect to be closed for at least 6 weeks. One of the restaurant servers said that he was better off than most of his colleagues because he has a savings of USD 200 with which to feed his family during the shutdown. We flew back to Dallas on AA1256 on Sunday and the flight was less than half full. There were no lines at all at immigration and customs at DFW when we arrived.

We're hoping to return as soon as possible as we have much unfinished diving to do :clearmask:!

I just sent a contribution to an American collecting for the Cozumel Food Bank and added a calendar reminder to my phone to do so on the 25th every month until after the island reopens. I hear that they are trying to feed 8,000 families during this crisis, and I expect that number will grow. It's a small gesture on my part, and timed to the same dates I usually pay my credit cards and receive my retirement direct deposit, I won't feel anything - but it'll help a little if I am one of the many.

I just sent a contribution to an American collecting for the Cozumel Food Bank and added a calendar reminder to my phone to do so on the 25th every month until after the island reopens. I hear that they are trying to feed 8,000 families during this crisis, and I expect that number will grow. It's a small gesture on my part, and timed to the same dates I usually pay my credit cards and receive my retirement direct deposit, I won't feel anything - but it'll help a little if I am one of the many.
Is that the food bank referenced in this Cozumel Sun article or another? The CS article was the only one I found in searching. Sadly, it's certain that there will be scammers leveraging the pandemic. There have already been several reports of malware-laden emails with "Corona Virus news", or "cures". Good that you are fortunate to have the resources and the will to put them to good use. But we must still do our due diligence.

"An American colecting for the Cozumel Food Bank" seems kinda vague, but you sound like you are sure it's legitimate so if you can share a link we'd like to contribute too.

Is that the food bank referenced in this Cozumel Sun article or another? The CS article was the only one I found in searching. Sadly, it's certain that there will be scammers leveraging the pandemic. There have already been several reports of malware-laden emails with "Corona Virus news", or "cures". Good that you are fortunate to have the resources and the will to put them to good use. But we must still do our due diligence.
I think it's a different food bank: CARITAS. I am well aware of the great number of scammers that will do anything to anyone and stealing thru a Covid scam wouldn't bother them at all. I can vett people and claims better than most my age, and no - I don't like sending money to a person rather than to a registered organization, but I am making an exception this time. I don't really have permission to disclose this much but I think I'm safe sharing this much...

Her name is Rhonda Penzell and her FB page is public. Jennifer Hanbury Pobiak (I don't remember her SB screen name?) is supporting her work and had this to say.
I've known Rhonda for years and she's extremely dependable and trustworthy! She's doing a lot of volunteering for Casitas Food Bank so your money will get to them right away. It's going to be very hard here for awhile.
1f622.png

Both of those ladies are active on Cozumel FB groups, and if there any hint of scamming, I think they would be blasted on all of them so I feel safe enough. Should I be proven wrong in my feelings, I'll be glad to blast them as well - but I am not concerned.

I am a tightwad by nature and have been known to post against excessive tipping, etc. I'm not interested in buying locals new TV sets or working to raise their standard of living - but I'd hate to know that families are starving when I am capable of sending a few bucks a month. Area school systems around me are working to feed kids breakfasts & lunches thru this crisis, delivering if they can't pick up, but those resources don't exist on the island I don't think.

"An American colecting for the Cozumel Food Bank" seems kinda vague, but you sound like you are sure it's legitimate so if you can share a link we'd like to contribute too.
I really can't say that I am sure. I can only describe why I am confident above. Do you know Jen here or on FB? Message her for more info and needed contacts.

Yes there will be people trying to take advantage for sure . Years ago on Cozumel there was a woman who was collecting for a cancer fundraiser and never turned in the money. Check all sources before you send money. CARITAS food bank is legitimate and Rhonda does support that agency.

@JenLoves2Dive maybe?

Her name is Rhonda Penzell and her FB page is public. Jennifer Hanbury Pobiak (I don't remember her SB screen name?) is supporting her work and had this to say.

Do you know Jen here or on FB? Message her for more info and needed contacts.

Hi guys. Interesting to read all the comments here. I must admit that it's hard to read some of them and to see this sense of entitlement with some folks who are rationalizing traveling here, to this little island during a worldwide pandemic knowing full well that practically everything is closed down. WHAT? And this, from fellow divers and supporters of Cozumel. I don't get it and it's upsetting to see people give others advice, advising them to still come here right now, as we are sitting here getting ready to prepare. It's really disappointing. I know that some of you have businesses and families here and you may not have had a choice. But you should realize that you are still putting others at risk by traveling through airports to get here.

We've got quite a few ScubaBoard members that have homes here and are an active part of our Cozumel community. The ones that I know (from the U.S. and Canada) already headed back. Most really wanted to stay, but they took everything into consideration. Most were already here when this all started. Many realized that things here could get delicate quickly and knew that if any of them were to get sick, they could be taking critical resources away from a citizen that might direly need it. And I thank you for making the right decision under hard circumstances. Actually, I applaud you.

Please let me give you my perspective and I hope you will hear me out. I apologize for a very long-winded post. (Those of you that know me would expect nothing less. ;-) ) I have been a full-time resident here in Cozumel for almost 8 years (in May). I can't believe it! I thought I would just stay a year or so. But here I am. I am very active in the community. Most of you guys have known me for a long time, even before Scuba Board when we had the Diver-to-Diver (D2D) group on Scuba Diving Magazine’s web site. My first dive was in Cozumel 25 years ago. So, I have made many lifelong friends here. They are my family! I know several families with three generations of Cozumeleños. New babies being born and I've watched my friends' kids grow up and have babies too. This is an island that just thrives on family. Just for fun, I went to my Facebook page and clicked on my “friends where you live”. 306 friends in Cozumel. And I don’t friend people that I don't personally know. I've had the opportunity to spend some time volunteering at the chamber at International Hospital. I’m an acupuncturist here and have a ton of friends that are physicians, nurses, EMTs, pharmacists and technicians. They work at CostaMed, San Miguel Médica, International Hospital, Amerimed, and the Hospital Seguro Social.

What's my point?
I get tears in my eyes just trying to write this. Because I simply can't imagine losing a single one of them! Or possibly 30, 40, or more? This possibility is very real and the thought of losing any one of them is incomprehensible to me.

The island is approximately 27 miles long and 10 miles wide. We live in a very tight circumference. During high season we've been averaging 25-30 cruise ships a week, how many flights coming in every day, and travelers coming in from Cancun? So, the odds are it's probably here. I don't see how it can't be. DO THE MATH. But as we all know, this thing snowballs and when it does it goes fast. And whoever it was that said it appears we are not going to get hit, that there are no cases on the island, and blah blah blah is not thinking this out. In one week, the absolute minimum would be about 75,000 visitors from all over the world with the majority from the U.S. coming here and mostly in a less than 10 mile radius. We have a little over 100,000 residents. There's just no way that it's not here.

So, here we are just now entering into Phase 2. No more large groups of people, no socializing, most bars and restaurants except for a small few are closed. Mexico is a still 3 if not 4 weeks behind what is happening in the U.S. I see many comments from people who want to come down here. People that feel entitled to come. Did I miss something or do most of you not have to travel by plane to get here?? So, it doesn’t matter if you self isolate for two weeks or 3 months, because the moment you decide to travel, is the moment you put ALL of us at risk by bringing it here with you to Cozumel. That means cars, taxis, airports where thousands of people have been. You tell yourself, “I'll be careful. I'll wash my hands. I'll wear a mask”. Well, there is absolutely no way that you can avoid touching something that didn't come into contact with other people at the airport, you can’t hold your breath, and people are handling your bags which are smashed together with other bags that came from their houses. So please just stop.

So, I feel a little bit resentful, I’ve closed up my business, I have been self-isolating and I have to go to the grocery store and run into a group of people just arriving for their ”vacation” who are shopping in the grocery store. I am trying to be extra careful because I’m 62 and I have an auto-immune disease so that means a compromised immune system. I work extra hard at staying healthy. I’d really like to keep it that way.

Please, don’t take this personally and please don’t try to educate me on statistics and comparisons on coronavirus because I actually worked for a research company and your “research” is not finding the first thing on google that resonates with your opinion on how contagious the virus is or how it’s “just like the flu”.

The problem here is Cozumel cannot take on any more. We do not know what size storm might be headed our way and whether or not it’s a CAT 2 or CAT 3, we certainly don’t need you to turn the fan on and turn it into a CAT 5. The REAL danger of this virus is the fact that it’s extremely contagious. It replicates fast and attacks fairly rapidly. Many will, if they haven’t already, get the virus and have a few symptoms, some others will have none, and you will go on with life as normal. So no big deal, right? But any one of you could, in theory, be a carrier. That means that all of you have the ability to infect at least 2.5 other people with it. So if this progresses, we don’t need to see our hospitals and clinics get overwhelmed and also put our medical people at risk! We’re too small and too populated. We’ve seen it already in many cities all over the world. I hope I’m wrong. If I am, I will be elated.

Yes, we need help. We need tourism, we need your support and we need to work. I’m not a retiree. I have to work, too. I'm ripped up to see my friends that are all out of work with families to feed. So, I understand. Please give Cozumel the chance to be strong and rally and come away from this healthy. Nobody is panicking here and the Cozumel government has been doing a good job of putting everything in line and getting ready, so it seems. So, please put your opinions to the side and do the right thing by not traveling to Cozumel right now. Please stay home and let us get ready to weather this upcoming storm. It’s not here yet, but we know it’s on the way. But, the healthier we are, the sooner we can get back to work. We are going to need you to help us rally! Thanks so much for letting me have my say. #CozumelStrong!

PS We have started Phase 2 now and curfews will start at 11pm on Saturday. There are only 2 ferries on Ultarmar going to Playa in the morning and two ferries going out in the evening. A similar schedule for WinJet. That's can also change at any time. Who knows? By the way, I don't know who said the port closed because that's not true. I have a view of the water and watched some small fast boats going back and forth today. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom