Covid-19 (coronavirus) Updates - Liveaboard Cancellation Policy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No one knows how long this virus pain will last. The longer it does, the more likely LOBs will not survive, so for those LOBs giving us 100% (vouchers ..), they have a built-in assumption that the pain will be shorter than longer.

That survival also depends on a LOBs fixed costs, access to Govt assistance, how much retained earnings are in the business, and if owners are willing to invest more.

Net net, whilst some haircut seems ok today, it could be a larger haircut is appropriate next month.

On the flip side, on the other side of the curve ...

And lets be truthful, the only reason this concession was even made was because the Chairmen got involved which is appreciated.
To be clear, Mike contacted me. He's pretty in tune to how things are going with his brand and wanted my advice. I like what he came up with, no doubt about that. I think it's fair all around especially when you read the 'fine print' that precludes Acts of God.
While Pete May have no money in the game he appears to have a vested interest in this thread.
I love this liveaboard. I've been on many LOBs, and theirs was my favorite trip. It's easy for Groupthink to dump on a business and ruin it. I don't like that one whit. Now read your statement one more time and let the following sink in.

I have no skin in this game
Ergo, I am not "vested".

It's easy to assign nefarious motives when someone disagrees with you. Hell, that's part and parcel of US politics and I abhor that. My motive is simple: I want Mike and Company to still be around when we get to restart diving. I want to do their Socorro trip again, but this time on my rebreather. As far as I'm concerned they are the safest operation in the LOB business. I would presume that your motive is as simple as being upset about a situation out of your and my control. This pandemic sucks.

Again, and I mentioned this before: the effect this virus will probably have a huge effect the diving industry. Many businesses will not make it. You may think that this will not affect you, but it certainly will. Prices WILL go up to cover any losses. The more a business loses, the more they're going to have to raise the cost of their trips, putting them at an economic disadvantage. In addition, businesses that go out of business due to making promises that they can't keep will reduce our options on where to go. I am immediately reminded of Nekton Cruises and what a fiasco that was. Think of it, if a business goes under making promises they can't fulfill, you'll have lost %100 of your investment. With this offer, Mike is going beyond any contractual agreements you made with Nautilus. I think that's cool.

It sounds like these are transferable if you can "bring a buddy" so if that's the case and someone needs to unload one of their 50% vouchers let me know via PM and I'll take one once this virus blows over. I was looking at the Belle Amie or Explorer anyway for later this year or early next year (the regular diving charters - not the cage stuff). If I can help somebody out in the process then that's a win win for everybody. We'd just need to check with Nautilus and see if they are boat/berth specific, etc. since I don't know what boat/trip anybody was on and I'd be booking a double as a single.

It sounds like these are transferable if you can "bring a buddy" so if that's the case and someone needs to unload one of their 50% vouchers let me know via PM and I'll take one once this virus blows over. I was looking at the Belle Amie or Explorer anyway for later this year or early next year (the regular diving charters - not the cage stuff). If I can help somebody out in the process then that's a win win for everybody. We'd just need to check with Nautilus and see if they are boat/berth specific, etc. since I don't know what boat/trip anybody was on and I'd be booking a double as a single.
I'm not going to lie....I would be very upset as well if I were a Nautilus customer and I don't blame anyone that is. I am trying to look at this from afar. At this point, short of doing a 100% credit reschedule (ideal for the customer) and accepting what is possible now, what might help is if Nautilus offers to help or provides an avenue for affected customers to unload their second voucher via an exchange program or something with new customers. I'm not sure what that would look like logistically, though....

interesting you should mention that, @O-ring. SB could be that avenue! Soccoro is also on my list. I was originally thinking of going next year but my rescheduled trip might look to be during the time period I would have wanted Socorro to be. In any case, same sentiment here...when it’s fine to go again, I’d also be down to help out. You may not even have to use it on the same sailing as your own. If there is some flexibility in date, I’m down. In fact, if I go, there’s likely a group or a few people interested as the LOBs I go on are usually groups, so I might be able to knock quite a few out. It’s too early to commit now, but we can keep an open dialogue.

interesting you should mention that, @O-ring. SB could be that avenue! Soccoro is also on my list. I was originally thinking of going next year but my rescheduled trip might look to be during the time period I would have wanted Socorro to be. In any case, same sentiment here...when it’s fine to go again, I’d also be down to help out. You may not even have to use it on the same sailing as your own. If there is some flexibility in date, I’m down. In fact, if I go, there’s likely a group or a few people interested as the LOBs I go on are usually groups, so I might be able to knock quite a few out. It’s too early to commit now, but we can keep an open dialogue.
Hmm...I smell a mini-invasion coming on. Let's set it up so we all go together on the same charter. Should be a good way to help out both Nautilus and the 50% voucher crew and also get to meet some new people at the same time.

Hm @O-ring one logistical problem for purposes of potential future travel insurance claims....all places ask to see proof of total payment amount that was invoiced for total trip amount in order to pay a claim in that amount and if you are getting a credit and pay only a portion, that presents a potential problem for us in the future if a need for claim came up. There are some grey areas that might be an issue in that regard but it might be insurance dependent.

nah, that’s my fart that sounds like a flightless waterfowl drowning, remember? :rofl3:
:eek:

Back
Top Bottom